Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
The PR expert I contacted is going to give us some tips, but she's booked up until October, so I went ahead and finished the draft of the press release. Take a look and see if you have comments. The ordering info obviously is NOT on the site yet, and all of the book's details (exact page count, ISBN, release date, price, etc.) need to be added once it's uploaded to Lulu.

---

Writing Community Unites to Write “Stories of Strength” for Katrina Relief

As they watched the coverage of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation, writers who had gathered on the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards decided not to sit by helplessly any longer. Instead, they got their pens moving—writing uplifting essays, short fiction, and poetry on the theme of “strength.” The result is the 320-page anthology STORIES OF STRENGTH, with 100 percent of the proceeds to go to the Red Cross for disaster relief.

Headed by author Jenna Glatzer, whose latest book is the authorized biography Celine Dion: For Keeps, this project attracted many well-known writers, such as famed science fiction author Orson Scott Card and Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher. Both contributed stories, and Card’s sheet music for a hymn co-written with Mark Mitchell leads the anthology.

Hundreds of submissions poured in from all over the world in just two weeks, and more than 100 writers’ works were chosen for this project. A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals, polished the anthology, and a volunteer graphic designer contributed the cover art.

[Local writer XYZ’s story “yyy” is among the works included in STORIES OF STRENGTH. XYZ says, “yyy.”]

The book is a tribute to the human spirit, containing mostly true stories of people who’ve had to fight to find strength in challenging situations ranging from the death of a child to natural disasters, paralysis, and facing the much-feared Library Troll. At times tear-jerking, at times humorous, this book is guaranteed to lift spirits and remind readers that human strength knows no boundaries.

“Many people have said they plan to order copies for everyone on their holiday list,” says Jenna Glatzer. “What a fantastic way to give a present that also helps people rebuild their lives.”

The writers hope to turn their words into sizeable long-term contributions to the Red Cross. In addition to the writers' donation, publishing company Lulu is also donating its profits from the book directly to the Red Cross.

Most writers are available for interviews and book signings.

Ordering details are at www.storiesofstrength.com.

###

The part in brackets is where writers can fill in either a quote about why they chose to be involved, or a little about themselves. Local papers do love to run stories about local people doing good things!

So... let me know what you think.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I know why it's been phrased like this, but I can't help but notice that for the last couple of years, Lulu has been a printer every time it's been mentioned, but now it's morphed into a publishing company.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I like it! I'll be working on getting them out this week. Or would it be better to wait until all the information is in?? Thoughts? I'd hate to get people all worked up when they're not able to order it for another month - six weeks.

Closer to release is better, yes?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sound good Jenna. I'll hold on until we get the rest of the info for ordering.

Edit: My quote for the press release.

"I can only hope that my fellow citizens will help with this project, and consider it not only chicken soup for their soul, but for the souls of those who are victims of the gulf coast tragedy. The joyous and hope filled stories included are sure raise the spirts of all who read, Stories of Strength."

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember folks, this is just a draft, not the final official release!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Richard said:
I know why it's been phrased like this, but I can't help but notice that for the last couple of years, Lulu has been a printer every time it's been mentioned, but now it's morphed into a publishing company.

I know. I was on the fence about how to refer to them, too. I didn't want to call them a "publisher," so I went with "publishing company."

Christine's right-- you can certainly use this info if you want to make phone calls and drum up early interest, but hold off on sending it out as a press release until we have the ordering info in place.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
containing mostly true stories

that sounds a bit misinterpretable - perhaps 'including true stories' would be better?
mostly true sounds like parts of each story were made up - and I don't think that's what was meant.

other comment is that some editors may ditch the release when they read reference to 'latest book Celine Dion' as they may think it is a self-promotional story. I understand you include that just to show that the anthology is headed by a professional, but placed in the second paragraph it reads a bit dangerously. Could that information go nearer the end of the release so that by that time it would be clear to anyone exactly how selfless you have been, Jenna?

for example

Selected from the hundreds of submissions that poured in from all over the world in just two weeks, more than 100 writers’ works were chosen. Headed by author Jenna Glatzer, whose latest book is the authorized biography Celine Dion: For Keeps, this project also attracted many well-known writers, such as famed science fiction author Orson Scott Card and Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher. Both contributed stories, and Card’s sheet music for a hymn co-written with Mark Mitchell leads the anthology. A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals, polished the anthology, and a volunteer graphic designer contributed the cover art.

It isn't a lot further down in this version, but where it goes from your own acheivements to those of the star-writers you managed to snag it just comes across better?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Excellent-- yes, I'll fix the wording on the "mostly true." I hadn't read it like that.

Re: my own book-- yep, I had similar reservations. Problem is that I want to get OSC right on top of the release as much as possible, and to make sure that the book sounds like a "major" release right away, because editors skim. I can't get away with just my name, because the general public doesn't know me, so I need to include an impressive credential-- but let me play with the wording so I can make sure it doesn't come across as self-promoting.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
"other comment is that some editors may ditch the release when they read reference to 'latest book Celine Dion' as they may think it is a self-promotional story. I understand you include that just to show that the anthology is headed by a professional, but placed in the second paragraph it reads a bit dangerously. Could that information go nearer the end of the release so that by that time it would be clear to anyone exactly how selfless you have been, Jenna?"

I disagree with Alphabet here. I like this exactly where it is in context. I totally agree with letting the reader know immediately that this is a professional author. I feel that would make them want to read on. I think these things are glanced at and you had better have a grabber or it will get tossed.
Paint

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, Jenna -- do the same thing with Orson and Robin, put one of their titles as you did with yours. Then the release is touting the writing chops of the contributors as well.

For OSC, I'd mention Ender's Game. It's his most famous work, and his latest book refers to it on the cover.

PS -- cool Chris, I just wasn't sure if folks were sending out the draft. Heck knows I want to myself!

Last edited:

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
"I can only hope that my fellow citizens will help with this project, and consider it not only chicken soup for their soul, but for the souls of those who are victims of the gulf coast tragedy

Is 'chicken soup for the soul' fairly generic in the US? I know chicken soup is a pretty standard term for healing over there, but I only know that specific phrase from the book series, and you know lawyers...

As for the Jenna bit, a few tweaks that I thought of

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed Celine Dion biography 'For Keeps', this project attracted contributions from many well-known writers, including an original hymn by award-winning science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, and a (whatever) from Christian romance writer Robin Lee Hatcher.

With over 100 pieces from writers all over the world, and the gracious efforts of prominent editors and graphic designers, Stories of Strength is a tribute to the human spirit: celebrating true stories of courage and endurance in challenging situations that range from the death of a child to living through natural disasters, to smaller-scale trials, like dealing with the local Library Troll.

Tear-jerking and humourous in equal measure, Stories of Strength is guaranteed to lift spirits and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

Just a few minor scanning tweaks to get to the meat of things - my gut feeling as a journalist was that there was far too much unnecessary detail in there, although it's always a fine line.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A tiny polishing type tweak in the second paragraph
Instead, they got their pens moving
Perhaps this to give a bit more punch....
Instead, they got their quills and keyboards moving

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EmoteROFL.gif
Maybe just 'keys' then, hehe.

I was thinking that 'pen' is rather a bland, generic word. Using quills and keys alludes to the opposite ends of the writing spectrum -- by hand as it was first done, all the way to the latest technology. Plus the alliterative 'k' sound reads musically, to my ear anyway.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Perhaps 'set to work with ink and keyboards'? Slightly more active, although I generally shiver at the use of quills - for writing magazines, perhaps, but I don't think it's usually a good word for mainstream use.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
A tiny polishing type tweak in the second paragraph

Perhaps this to give a bit more punch....

Instead, they got their quills and keyboards moving

How about "Instead, they put their quills and keyboards to work"?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
1. I saw the "mostly true" thing too! as in, not everything in the story is true, but kinda sorta. Glad you're fixing that.

2. I kind of side with Alphabet re: the Jenna book thing but it's your gig - I trust your judgement. I agree, you need the Celine thing in their to have it be known.

3. As tenderly as I can say this: I'm Jewish - there's a big Jewish community here, I'd LOVE to get this to them and have it go through them. As has been in the news, nationwide, the Jewish organizations mobilized very very quickly after Katrina.

But...just how Christian are the stories? No one will care if they are oriented to FAITH, but if there's a lot of Jesus in it, then I would obviously not direct the book to that audience. (she said as politely as possible)

4. Do you want to mention the publishing houses? Would that be a nice plug for them and good name recognition/legitimacy for the rest of us?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like that too, Richard.
emoteThumbs.gif
I was going for an encapsulation of the history of writing, to be reflective of the broad range of writers in the project. I suppose since this is a press release we should avoid getting too 'poetic.' Dang fiction writers, eh? Always looking for the similie and metaphor in every blasted thing.
smile.gif

PS -- just noticed your suggestion too, Shwebb. Very good! Poor Jenna, you're gonna have so many options....

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
But...just how Christian are the stories?

That's a very fair question. I'll have to reread the "Faith" section to be sure, but I can think of at least one Jesus-specific mention. Most, I think, just refer to God and prayer. I'd be happy to show you the manuscript in just a couple of days, though, so you can see what you think.

Do you want to mention the publishing houses?

Of what?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Thanks, Jenna. That would be great.

Oops re: publishing houses. I was thinking of this sentence:

"A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals..."

Would you want to mention the magazines or journals? For example, I know a lot of freelance writers and readers of women's magazines will recognize Jennifer Lawler's name.

Just a thought - only a good thought if it would boost recognition, i.e., "...several of whom work for prominent magazines such as Woman's Day, Family Circle," and so on.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I think if we start to eliminate these things, then the list will become longer of other things to delete. There's always going to be choices made my people and there is never anyway to please everyone although we try. Religion is a touchy subject, but how can you start to eliminate such at this point in the game. Being a person that likes wheat bread and another likes white. There are choices to make, as one can buy what one likes. The book as she mentions has some of the stories that relate to Jesus or God, but should that be the ones that we won't read, if they bother us that much?

That's not what I said. I have no objection to those stories being there along with all the others, I just mean that given the range of content in the book, making a big deal out of the Christian-themed entries would be a mistake, especially in a general press release. Rather than opening the market, it would restrict it, which doesn't help when you want to sell as many copies as possible.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Richard said:
Is 'chicken soup for the soul' fairly generic in the US? I know chicken soup is a pretty standard term for healing over there, but I only know that specific phrase from the book series, and you know lawyers...

I thought of that Richard.

I talked to my son who is a Grad student at the Scripps school of Journalism.

He assured me that it would fly.

He said the exact wording is not used, therefore it doesn't apply.

chicken soup for their soul, vs. (Chicken soup for the soul ©)

The exact wording must be followed by a T.M., (R) or (C) when used though, and is acceptable. This may be used for informational purposes, (as in press releses, news stories, mag articles and the like).

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.