What is too offensive to be funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
A recent thread posted in this forum got me thinking. Where do we draw the line with humor? When does funny stop being funny and start being offensive?

I turned on George Carlin the other night, and personally, I find him more offensive than funny, but that's just my opinion. Obviously others don't feel that way. ;)

What do you think? What do you find offensive in the world of humor today?

rich

I don't know. If Lenny Bruce never existed I think comedy would not have gained a good grip on how we really behave. Then again, when a humorist exploits these insights just to produce a monologue that works just for him/her, it gets a bit insipid. The bottom line for most humorists is to entertain. When there are redeeming social qualities, all the better.

George Collin had a long dry spell, then renewed himself. How much of his work is audience-driven and how much is what he really feels will never be known. I, personally, can relate to the subdued stuff of Thurber, Benny, Cosby, and E.B. White and still enjoy Rock, Pryor, and Collin.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
So far, I haven't found anything that I consider "offensive." There are things I don't happen to find funny, but I'm not offended. While I LOVE South Park, for example, I don't find Crank Yankers funny. My husband adores those skits, though.

Objectively, I think humor is a method of stress relief. Sometimes you have to laugh or you'll cry (or scream.) I find some very dark things "milk out the nose" funny that other people would deem offensive. I don't think there IS a line.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Cathy C said:
I don't think there IS a line.

I actually think there is a line, but what makes it impossible to define is that the breadth of that line is in constant negotiation between the comic, the target and the timing of the joke.

Best bet, in my opinion, is to shrug off offense as quickly as possible. And to know yourself. Obviously, one should avoid setting oneself up to be offended. I'm very difficult to offend, so if I find myself there, I usually ask myself two quick questions: "Was there intent?" and "Do I really give a sh**?" Those two can generally un-bunch my panties in a hurry...

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't think there's a line either. However, there is a time and a place. It's not necessarily where someone gets offended though.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
I actually think there is a line, but what makes it impossible to define is that the breadth of that line is in constant negotiation between the comic, the target and the timing of the joke.

Well said. I have to agree that there is a line, but it varies according to situation. For example, booger jokes are considered quite funny by the kindergarten crowd, but you probably wouldn't tell them at a formal cocktail party.

So maybe the line is the audience itself?

Barb

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think there is a line, and it does have something to do with the crowd, but that's not the only thing.

Some humour gets laughs by grossing people out, and that offends some people. But it's still humourous. But as Perks says, you should avoid setting yourself up to be offended. If you don't like gross or sexual humour, don't hang out with people who use that kind of humour.

Where I feel humour can cross the line is where it is really hate disguised as humour. That's why I have trouble with jokes aimed at specific targets, like blondes or people of colour. I ask myself, would this joke be funning if it was about a different group/type of people. If the answer is no, then the joke is probably hate rhetoric disguised as humour.

If the answer is yes, then it's probably a funny joke. For example, light bulb jokes change targets depending on the audience/comedian. They illustrate the comic side of belonging to a particular group. For example:

How many second violinists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None; second violinists can't reach that high.
How many saxophone players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Five; one to screw in the light bulb and four to stand around and wonder how David Sanborn would do it.

How many percussionist does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Two; one to screw in the light bulb after the other realizes that hitting it with a stick won't work.

How many 1st Bassoonists does it take to change a light bulb?
None...that's the 2nd bassoonist job!

How many oboists does it take to change a light bulb?
One, but it takes them an hour to find just the RIGHT bulb...

How many clarinet players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
One, but it will take him a huge box of light bulbs to find one that fits.

How many producers does it take to change a light bulb?
Well, what do you think?
How many sound men does it take to change a light bulb?
One, two, three, one, two, three.

Obviously, one should avoid setting oneself up to be offended. I'm very difficult to offend, so if I find myself there, I usually ask myself two quick questions: "Was there intent?" and "Do I really give a sh**?" Those two can generally un-bunch my panties in a hurry...

This is about right. Intent to offend or to inspire hate makes the joke not funny. If I answer the second question with a "Yes, I do give a sh**," then I'll simply tell the person, "That wasn't funny," and walk away. Comedians live for laughs. If they don't get them, I find they mend their ways pretty fast...

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Well, humor is subjective and everyone has the option to walk away from humor they find offensive.

But when you write humor, how much should you worry about what other people think?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
But when you write humor, how much should you worry about what other people think?

It depends on why you write humour. If you write it because you think it's funny, and it makes you laugh, then you don't need to worry about what anybody else thinks. But if you want to make other people laugh, then you need to keep that in mind every time you write, just like if you want to make others cry or feel any other emotion. So a professional humour writer should be worrying about what his or her audience thinks all the time.

Obviously, that means that you have to know your audience. I know that the jokes I write for my sermons in church won't do diddly-squat to the audience in a bar setting, and the jokes one can tell in a bar setting would offend folks if I told them from the pulpit.

This is an opinion, not a fact. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Cathy, hate literature is hate literature, whether it's disguised as humour or not. In Canada, hate literature is illegal, right of free speech notwithstanding.

I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether any particular joke or sketch is funny, but in my opinion, when a so-called humourist is relying solely on the offensiveness of a given joke to get a laugh, he or she is revealing an appalling lack of creativity.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding Audience:

I have noticed with more and more frequency, stand-up comedians seem to think every other word out of their mouths has to be a four-letter word (George Carlin, case in point). Now, I will not pretend to be prudish on this issue; I swear like a sailor, but I have to wonder, is this what audiences are looking for? In other words, have people come to expect humor to be packaged this way?

This comes back to the comment "relying solely on offensiveness" to get a laugh. So much of humor depends on an element of surprise to get a laugh. Are people so jaded nowadays that we have to shock them with the f-word in order for a joke about Tupperware to fly?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
If you think about it, most humor seems to result from a retelling of another's misfortune. If you stand back and look at it long enough, anything can be funny.

I mean, WHAT! Did you think that God sits around and watches sit-coms for laughs?!

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I have a different view:

Humor is different for each person. Each of us that writes humor has a specific definition of humor and our writings reflect that belief.

For instance, I believe that humor is the reaction one has to ordinary situations that produce inordinate results. Because of this, I write situation comedy short stories and novels that reflect this belief. I see a pie in the face as funny if there is a real life issue that produced the face full of pie.

If we procede down this road, we see that the humor may be caused by everyday events that are common, but not acceptable to talk about in most public situations. The variable here is the public place. For example, my 14 y.o. niece can not stand to hear anyone talk about feminine products. To her, it is offensive. A run of jokes about this rarely bothers her. For me, I have been married to my wonderful wife for twenty years and I can walk into a store, and do my own peice check over the speaker if the cashier is not loud enough.

Now, we have two variables causing us to redefine acceptable humor, the type of humor and where we are.

To me, that makes the border not a line, but a piece of spaghetti shifting and turning with each twist of the fork.

All is not lost, though. Each of us can tell where the spaghettti falls when it hits the floor. The question at my house, is who gets to clean it up.

Stop worrying. Write what you wite. If it offends someone, sell it to someone else.

Just a small thought from the Palatial futon.... Allen

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
If you think about it, most humor seems to result from a retelling of another's misfortune. If you stand back and look at it long enough, anything can be funny.

I mean, WHAT! Did you think that God sits around and watches sit-coms for laughs?!

Actually, my very favourite forms of humour results from a retelling of the comedian's misfortune. And no, God doesn't need sit-coms. She has me. :tongue

I have noticed with more and more frequency, stand-up comedians seem to think every other word out of their mouths has to be a four-letter word (George Carlin, case in point).

It's true enought that comedians use four letter words with increasing frequency, but I think that's because four-letter words are used more often by the general population. I work in a factory, and it seems that almost everyone talks like that. In that case, the comedians aren't using the four-letter words to get a laugh, they're using them because you have to speak the language of your audience in order to reach them.

George Carlin is a bit different -- the "seven words you can't say on television" skit makes fun of the whole idea of censorship of swear words, and it's not a new skit. That skit came out when I was in my teens, and I'm forty-five now.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but agile cursing is completely hysterical!
wink.gif

True enough, but most of what I hear isn't agile... :)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Jaycinth said:
This is a very valid point.

For example - my wife's grandfather passed away about a month ago. He was the patriarch of a very large Italian clan and his wake was the first time in a very long time that many of the family members had seen each other. So many of them were standing talking and laughing, it quickly took on the atmosphere of a family reunion instead of memorial service.

My sister-in-law and I were standing by the door, chatting with a few people we hadn't seen in ages. A group of people came by as they were leaving to offer their condolences. One of them gripped my sister-in-law on the shoulder and said "I'm sorry about your grandfather."

Without even thinking about it, she says "Why? What happened?"

I think it took every last ounce of strength she had to keep from laughing until they had left.

Now, it's pretty clear that forgetting all about the deceased at his own wake could be seen as offensive. And a wake is definitely not a generally happy event. But that was the funniest damn thing any of us had ever heard in our lives.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Potential offense warning

Chris Rock was hosting one of the MTV awards shows a few years ago. He came out and said, "Man that Jennifer Lopez got a big a**. Don't she got a big a**? That's right, she got a great big a**."

The crowd howled with laughter and I have no idea why. That wasn't a joke, it was nothing more than an insult. Yet the audience thought he was hysterical. To me, that was a perfect example of being offensive purely to get a laugh. Now if he'd said, "Jennifer Lopez a** so big it takes 2 hours to download a picture of it," that would have been a joke, albeit a bad one.

The Gorn

Going insane and proud of it
Registered
Reaction score
batyler65 said:
I turned on George Carlin the other night, and personally, I find him more offensive than funny, but that's just my opinion. Obviously others don't feel that way.
wink.gif

Humor is an art. If you want to get a laugh you have to carefully select what to joke about and how you tell the joke. I included the above quote because it mentions George Carlin. Mr. Carlin actually made a comment on this very sublect during one of his shows. He said "I believe you can joke about anything. It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is. Every joke needs something to be way out of perportion."
Now, I agree with Mr. Carlin on that point. But, it is a fact that I do find some of his material offensive. Some I also consider annoying. But for the most part, I think he is funny. I think when it comes to determining what is funny and what is offensive, it depends on the audience. What one person would consider to be the funniest joke of all time, another person may consider the same joke to be the single greatest insult to the art ever.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Of course, sometimes the point of humor is not to be funny but to characterize somebody as offensive. I love the Stephen King character who tosses this one out:

What's the definition of a woman?
A life support system for a c***.

You hate that character for life. Technically, the intention is humor, but only from the character's POV. While it will be humorous to somebody, it invokes great anger in others.

dale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daledobson.com
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has something new to add...

I'm always a little undecided about what's TOO offensive to print. A fellow humorist friend of mine talks about pieces having "soul" - a piece that contains offensive content but has a resonant human element to it passes muster on this point, while a piece that's just plain rude doesn't. I like the idea, because it's not a litmus test, but there is something one can put ones finger on in it.

Some of my decisions about content have to do with the market. I know that one of my editors tends to cut/rewrite any bad language, so I've learned to write around it as time has gone on. My ideas can still be twisted, but I find other ways to express them.

On the other hand, the single most perverse and offensive piece I've ever written has gotten deal-memo'ed for a brand-name anthology due out this fall.

So I guess if I can bring myself to write it, someone else might be willing to publish it.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Very little offends me when it comes to joke-telling. A lot of it has to do with how much I believe the joke-teller really means it. If she lowers her voice and says "Do you like JEWISH people?" as a lead-in, then I'll point out that I'm related to a rabbi and ask that she keep her trap shut. When it's all in good fun, I'll crack the heck up.

I find jokes/humor even MORE funny when it's in don't-go-there territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.