Urdu and Punjabi

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
These are my native languages.
Urdu in Pakistan. Very close to Hindi actually. In reality all Indian movie songs are actually Urdu...yep trust me. But dialogs are generally Hindi in movies.

Punjabi for Punjab.

Salaam.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well that's just a fascinating fact!

why are the songs in Indian movies (Bollywood movies?) in Urdu?

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a linguist, so take what I say with loads of salt.
Urdu is a derivative or a mixture of Persian, Arabic, Hindi and bits of Turkish. Since the Muslims ruled over most of the Sub-continent for about a thousand years, their languages and culture assumed supremacy.
Persian was in fact the official language of the Royal Court for a much longer period than Urdu. As Urdu came into its own it became the language of the Royal court towards the second half of the Mughal Rule.
Urdu as such was a highly embracing language, that absorbed others into it with ease. Plus the strong Poetic tradition of Persian made it the language of choice for poetry and lyrics even amongst the general population. This carries on to this day. Nearly all the poetry conventions in Urdu barring a few are borrowed from Persia, or Central Asia/Turkey.
I really can't do better than this.
But hey, the songs are great. :0

Deepspirit

Registered
Reaction score
Hey. I'm from India. Yes, Raphee is right. The reason I think is that Urdu is a very poetic language (don't know how else to say it) and lyrics would have been pretty awkward if they were in pure Hindi. We use a lot of Urdu words in daily conversations without even realizing that they are not Hindi words actually.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Namaste Deepspirit, or is it Salaam.
Good to know you.
Reading Ghalib and trying to understand him is one of lifes better pleasures.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any chance of reviving this thread? I'm starting to learn Urdu (from my other half) and it'd be really great to have a thread to practice in and get help.

*shouts into void*

Heeellllooooooo.... oooo .... ooo ... oo.. o.. o

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Welcome! I used to be an international student advisor and my sector included all the south Asian/desi students. I did start learning Hindu and Urdu (most of which I've forgotten.) One student was mightily annoyed to discover the first word I learned on my own was "nahee!"

Salaam. Welcome!

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.
Psychomacologist, you have a dire need for help;) Just give me a shout if you need my assistance.
These days I'm not frequenting AW on a regular basis, still...

Good to know you Diana. I'm sure you haven't forgotten "theek hai."
Salaam.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So far I've got as far as basic pronouns and a few simple sentences lol. Slow going!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I know what achaa means!

So far I can say "mera nam Fatihah hai" and my teacher/Other Half laughs at my accent...

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Stumbled upon this site. The accent is so important. My daughters find it so hard to say "theek hai" without sounding foreign. They make it sound like "teak air" (minus the 'r' sound at the end). At that point, i just say Oh please, please don't butcher my (sort of mine) lovely language.

Some words, like "Chalo" (let's go) can be used easily by anyone. My whole family uses it correctly, even my husband whose Scottish accent is quite strong. Some Urdu words are also used on polo fields all over the world so even the Brits and Argentinians say "Chalo" properly.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to be learning from a native - he's quite strict on my pronunciation! :D

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
They make it sound like "teak air" (minus the 'r' sound at the end). At that point, i just say Oh please, please don't butcher my (sort of mine) lovely language.

Some words, like "Chalo" (let's go) can be used easily by anyone.

Hello Purple Rose.
teak air, haha that is funny, and you have it right. I think it has to do with the way we use tee. A lot of languages don't allow tee with the 'aich' sound to get t-hee.
It is difficult to explain.

My kids are now learning both Ghalib and the English poets. When I explain the meanings of Ghalib, they go wide-eyed admiring the language.

The 'chukka' used in Polo = round object= the currently used word chakkar, meaning round.

PS: where are you from?

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
So far I can say "mera nam Fatihah hai" and my teacher/Other Half laughs at my accent...

Accents, accents.
My English accent isn't great either, but it passes muster.
But it ain't my first language.

Simran

Learning Hindi and then on to Punjabi!!!! "Punjabi Power...Lighting Up Your Life!" (quote from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
True, there's more Urdu than Hindi in contemporary spoken Hindi -- and most of us do not even realize this!

By the way, I've a Punjabi landlady, and I've been thinking of picking up a little Punjabi to score some brownie points with her!

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Punjabi, btw has a lot of phrases to score points with. It's one of those rollicking, frollicking languages you can bug people with.
Urdu, now that has a much finer sensibility, more sophistication. I rarely ever feel like swearing in Urdu. For that I use Punjabi.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Just looking in because I miss Urdu.
Severel years ago I spent six months in Punjab, tried my best to learn the beautiful language, managed somehow, but after that forgot too much already.
Now I am living in an arabic speaking country and learning arabic - seems a lot more difficult, I don't know why.
But sometimes, especially at maghreb, I catch myself missing Punjab, its sounds, its smells, its words.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You can watch movies with subtitles, and start learning and understanding some words while having fun.

And yeah, it's a musical sort of language. Here's a nice song, but it's not Urdu tho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5awZ9sOTA54

He's the nephew of one of the greatest singers ever recorded.