Does full-bleed increase printing cost?

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
...or is it just a layout matter with no impact on printing costs?

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
This would be more like a graphic novel. It's a full-color gift book-style project.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Full bleed goes beyond the typical 1/8 margins in graphic novels or picture books. Its usually back ground shading or images.

From my experience long ago putting together college stuff...yes, it cost more.

JFBookman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebookdesigner.com
Empowered, the biggest cost factor in the project as you describe it is the full color throughout. Most color printing jobs do have bleeds, and bleeds do not necessarily add to the expense of the job. For books, the top, bottom and outside have to be trimmed anyway, whether there is bleed or not.

If you can be more specific about your project, I could be more specific in addressing your question. Hope that helps.

EmpoweredOKC

Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I was just wondering whether choosing to bleed my graphics would actually cost more, or just be a layout decision with no additional financial bearing on the project. The use of color is a foregone conclusion, but I hadn't determined whether to layout the images with a margin, or full bleed. I could do either way, but would opt for the former if a bleed impacted cost.

Bookmark

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookmarkselfpublishing.com
I've seen a few printers that do charge more, but it's rare to see.

What you need to be really careful of is to make sure that bleed doesn’t cause your novel to have to be printed on larger then normal sheets of paper. I’ve seen this happen a number of times on bigger than standard books and it can really add to the cost.

It’s really a good idea to contact your printer before you even start laying out your book. Any good printer will work with you to find what size/type of paper will work to fit into your budget.