PDA

View Full Version : PBS-Nature Echo of the Elephants

regdog
10-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I've watched the PBS series Nature do several stories about an elephant matriarch Echo and her family for years. Echo died from age and drought. PBS has done a wrap up show about how her family is coping and clips from the past.
All I can say is :cry:

Ken
10-19-2010, 12:05 AM
... saw part of an episode in which they were trying to find water in a severe drought. They eventually did, just in the nick of time! Along the way they came across the remains of an elephant. Just some bones I believe. They mourned the loss. One of the few animals besides humans who do that. Very touching and sad. So I can definitely understand your feelings with your having watched the whole series.

(((Regdog)))

regdog
10-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Those were the remains of Echo's daughter who had been speared. Despite the Rangers treating her with antibiotics, she got an infection and died. Echo actually took her grandson from his dying mother to save him.

Ken
10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
... amazingly intelligent animals. And compassionate as well. Shows like this will hopefully help to get people concerned about their plight.

Satori1977
10-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I had watched some of those too, so sad! I love elephants, on of my favorite animals. So intelligent and compassionate. We could learn a lot from them.