PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take?

iwannabepublished
10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
An Agent has requested my full manuscript. The agent's web site says a preliminary read can take six to eight weeks. It has only been three weeks since I sent out the requested material. This may be a dumb question but, does the more time that passes mean they simply have not gotten to read my work or that my work may be under serious consideration? Or does it mean nothing at all and I should simply nervously wait out the eight weeks and try not to think about what may be going on? Is no news really good news? This is the first time an agent has asked to see my full manuscript which, I guess, is a positive sign. Much as I try, I have visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head and am having trouble not thinking about the possibilities.

Calla Lily
10-18-2010, 05:51 PM
I should simply nervously wait out the eight weeks and try not to think about what may be going on?

This one. Keep sending out queries, and of course, keep working on the next book you started to keep your mind off the querying stresses. :)

Good luck!

ChaosTitan
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
If their guidelines say a read can take 6-8 weeks, and it's only been 3, then chances are they simply haven't read it yet. Agents typically read requested material in the order they receive it, and when they have a chance--this means after they've read and edited current clients' work, negotiated current clients' contracts, and dealt with agency-related things that take precedence over reading non-client manuscripts.

Sit tight and try not to think about it too much.

stormie
10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
What callalilly and Chaos said. Yep, it's nerve wracking, but work on that next novel.

And congrats on the request for the full. :)

Susan Littlefield
10-18-2010, 06:29 PM
An Agent has requested my full manuscript. The agent's web site says a preliminary read can take six to eight weeks. It has only been three weeks since I sent out the requested material. This may be a dumb question but, does the more time that passes mean they simply have not gotten to read my work or that my work may be under serious consideration? Or does it mean nothing at all and I should simply nervously wait out the eight weeks and try not to think about what may be going on? Is no news really good news? This is the first time an agent has asked to see my full manuscript which, I guess, is a positive sign. Much as I try, I have visions of sugar plumbs dancing in my head and am having trouble not thinking about the possibilities.

Ken,

Congratulations on the full request!

You're going to drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what is going on with your manuscript. You are not at the agent's desk, so you will never be able to figure out if she's read it, is reading it, will read it, has thrown it in a pile, etc.

Be patient. Work on something else.

iwannabepublished
10-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I guess I know I should basically just forget an agent has my manuscript. I am continuing to work on another story and beginning research for a sequel to what is already a two book series - the first is the one the agent has and the second is already complete. It's just that I've never gotten this far before.

OctoberRain
10-19-2010, 02:01 AM
How exciting! A full request is a big deal! I ditto everyone else -- if eight weeks pass and no response, then politely nudge (I might actually give it ten weeks just in case they're backlogged). And while you wait, keep writing the new story.

Good luck!

Stanmiller
10-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Congrats, Ken. But don't stop working. It's not unheard of for an agent to sit on a full for six months or more. I had one full out for almost a year. When I emailed to tell her that I was withdrawing it because of an offer of representation from another agent for a different book, she complained that she hadn't had enough time to read it.

Ten months isn't enough time to read 400 pages? C'mon.

Sage
10-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Congrats on the full, Ken.

I've had agents read fulls overnight and agents take over six months. One even took a full year to get back to me.

Some agents read everything they get in order, others read whatever strikes them most at the time. Some promise to get back to you in so many weeks, and then take twice as long to do so, or get ahead of schedule. You can't predict what's going on with the agent.

There are ways to try and keep track of how fast agents got back to other people. These will drive you crazy, but they're there ;)