Book Publishing like Software Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
This is old news...

Here is why this argument does not work, IMHO...

1...My computer is a big investment and I need certain hardware and software to make it run the way I want it to run. I don't buy software unless I need it. Books on the other hand are a form of entertainment and part of my discretionary spending.

2...Video games do not always end the same way, so there is a challenge each time I play a video game. Books, again, a form of entertainment, but its simpler and ends the same way each time I read the book.

3...Publishing has been in trouble not because they are not keeping up with the latest technology, but because of the big mergers of the 80's and 90's that left them with high debt and run by bean counters instead of editors who know the business. This article does not take this into account. Silicon Valley companies are run by those who know the tech industry, not by CEO's who used to run Grocery chains...

4...The ease of self publishing has also flooded the market with more product than the market can bare and this hurts all forms of publishing. Self publishing has also dumbed down the publishing market with a flood of poorly written and edited books. (I am not saying all self pubbed books suck, but they do get lumped into the same category 9 out of 10 times and overcoming this obstacle is very time consuming.)

5...E-readers are now opening the gates again on another form of product distribution. But the problems is there is no standard formats from device to device and readers are already becoming frustrated. There is a lot of other factors to consider with E-publishing because until it becomes as enjoyable as the experience of shopping for a book at the local bookstore, it is always going to be a second or third choice for readers, with printed books staying on top.

All writers have invested work and money in their books. This is not new. Some invest more than others. If you ever sit down and figure the hours alone you work on a book, all the writing, research, editing, reformatting, querying, submitting, etc, very few writer will make minimum wage on this book. Your time has to account for some value and going the easy route of self publishing does not guarantee a return on your investment or time. Its a crap shoot.

Please know, I am not knocking anyone who goes the self pubbed route. Everyone has their own expectations and reasons for going the route they chose. I just feel that for many writers, the I WANT TO BE PUBLISHED is such a strong desire that they often times do not look at the larger picture and can damage their long term success.

But these are just my humble thoughts and to each their own...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I really, really want to see my books published in print format and be able to find them on the shelves at B&N and online at Amazon.

That being said, I'm confident that I can write and edit, with help from trusted betas, a ripping good read so, if my books fail to sell to a print publisher I will not be afraid to go the e-route. I have to believe in myself and my writing and believe that my books will stand out above the absolute tsunami of absolute crap that is finding it's way onto Amazon and Smashwords and I'm sure, eventually PubIt and all the others.

A writer must have some sense if arrogant self-confidence in their writing or they're not going to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.