New writing gig

gina

lost in the twilight zone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ginasramblings.blogspot.com
This has been in the works for the last couple of weeks, but I wanted to wait for everything to be settled before I posted much about it. I have been added onto the staff on a major television site as a blogger and forum leader. I guess you can call me your everyday television critic now. Over the summer, I had a column over on Gaywired and other sites reviewing Queer as Folk. Well, earlier this month, I started my own review blog. It's doing quite well with almost 4,000 hits in the first month.

About a week after I started it, I applied for an editor job late one night over at Media Village. Heard back within the hour with them asking if I wanted to come on staff as a blogger and forum leader. The rest as they say is history. This is a decent paying position that will give me the chance to work on my fiction more as well. Not worrying as much about money will make me more creative. Good thing in my opinion.

My blog Thoughts from the Couch went live today, and my forums covering Lost, The OC and Grey's Anatomy went up last week.

I'm very excited about this, and I think it is great opportunity to extend my nonfiction writing career.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gina - that sounds very cool. I don't blame you one bit for being excited. Congratulations. I hope it turns out even better than you've dreamed.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Getting paid to watch tv
icon_teevee.gif
well . . . congrats are truly in order :Thumbs:

I enjoyed your blog, and I agree with your early thoughts on Invasion, after the first 20 minutes it left me thinking, "And why should I be watching this?" In retrospect if it hadn't premiered post Katrina, I wonder if the first twenty minutes would have held my interest as long as it did.

gina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the congrats everyone! I think I scored a pretty good deal here myself as much as I watch television. I'm a junkie, let me tell you!

JAlpha said:
I enjoyed your blog, and I agree with your early thoughts on Invasion, after the first 20 minutes it left me thinking, "And why should I be watching this?" In retrospect if it hadn't premiered post Katrina, I wonder if the first twenty minutes would have held my interest as long as it did.

Thanks Jalpha! I had the same thought with the show. I don't know if a show depicting a major catastrophic event so close to one occurring in reality was all that smart by the network. They had hyped it so much over the summer though they had no choice but to move forward with it. I know a lot of people did enjoy Invasion, so that might save it, but I really didn't. I'll have to see what happens.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
gina said:
Thanks for the congrats everyone! I think I scored a pretty good deal here myself as much as I watch television. I'm a junkie, let me tell you!

Thanks Jalpha! I had the same thought with the show. I don't know if a show depicting a major catastrophic event so close to one occurring in reality was all that smart by the network. They had hyped it so much over the summer though they had no choice but to move forward with it. I know a lot of people did enjoy Invasion, so that might save it, but I really didn't. I'll have to see what happens.

Gina,

I just thought of something else regarding the season premier of, Invasion. From a fictional, story-telling prospective, they pulled the lost pet, missing child and damsel in distress cards all in the first episode. Makes me wonder if that's all they've got, is one cliche plot point after another. :Shrug:

gina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
JAlpha said:
Gina,

I just thought of something else regarding the season premier of, Invasion. From a fictional, story-telling prospective, they pulled the lost pet, missing child and damsel in distress cards all in the first episode. Makes me wonder if that's all they've got, is one cliche plot point after another. :Shrug:

Exactly! plus the characters weren't all that great. We didn't get to see the mother enough to know she had changed. We are just to assume she has because of her strange behavior now. How are we to know that isn't the way she acted before?