• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Upper and Lower Word Limits for Various Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I read all the Threads on this and thought I'd ask a question, as well as confirm what I'd read:

Basically, your word limit should be as many words as it takes to tell the story. That being said, a rough guide would be -

YA:
Lower - 30 k
Upper - 70 k

Adult:
Lower - 45 - 50 k
Upper - 120 k

Some genres seem to have longer word counts - For example SciFi and Historical Romance typically seem to run a little longer, and others seem to run short - category romance, for example.

Now, my piece, a urban fantasy paranormal rom com type thing - is currently between 104 - 120 k. It's way too long. But I haven't started editing yet so I'm hoping to cut some bits out. I'd like to get it under 100k.

Add to that, seriously, in a query, would one actually write the exact word count? As in, Bloodlust Blooming is a Paranormal Rom Com of 104, 863 words. Or would 100 000 be okay in that instance? Enquiring minds need to know!

Have I got this right? Maybe this could be stickied, after we've discussed what everyone thinks, and I've edited it to reflect the majority view point. I'd be happy to add in extra genres and stuff if people would like?

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Add to that, seriously, in a query, would one actually write the exact word count? As in, Bloodlust Blooming is a Paranormal Rom Com of 104, 863 words. Or would 100 000 be okay in that instance? Enquiring minds need to know!

Don't use exact word count for novels; round to whole thousands. Some advise rounding to the nearest five thousand. Either way, 104,863 would be queried as 105,000.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen YA at 25k (infact when I was a teen this was the 'standard' word count for YA, how times have changed) and I've seen YA at 150k.

Books are definately getting longer. For YA though I would aim for between 40k and 80k.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
My romances are 80k (ones already finished) to 90k (future romances)

My horrors, well my first horror story, Cameron and Christina, renamed Twins from Hell is 95k, but I haven't started yet.

My fantasies are all 100-110k.

Days of writing 200-250k books are long gone, and I stopped doing that since I read a blog from an agent talking about word counts.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Magali, you must write a very tight outline to know you'll end up with a 95K book that you haven't started yet.

I'm a pantser. I aim for 80 - 100K and so far, have ended up there, but I couldn't tell you where my current WIP will end and I'm 37K into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.