PDA

View Full Version : obscure tattoo needed

GeorgeK
10-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I need a tattoo that the average person might mistake for a birthmark but those in the know would say, "Oh, your a Blah blah blah!"

Military tattoos would be preferred, any branch. Thanks.

thothguard51
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Birthmarks are generally not detailed like a tattoo. For a tattoo to look like a birthmark from a distance, I would assume it has to be very compact and colored like a birthmark, wine or rose coloring, not the typical blue or black ink.

With that said, kind of hard to suggest something when we don't know what you are looking for or what the tattoo is suppose to represent...

Linda Adams
10-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Try the 24th Infantry Patch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Infantry_Division_%28United_States%29). It's a Taro leaf.

Cyia
10-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Could you use a brand rather than a tattoo? The scar would be more indistinct and it could pass for naturally discolored skin easier than a tat.

It's not technically a military tattoo, but my cousin tried to brand a "smiley" face on his shoulder with a lighter head, and then tried to do the same by heating a quarter to make an image of the eagle (melted his skin because he over heated the coin). He was a Marine, but I"m not sure if that was his own bright idea or if the whole group of them was trying it.

Beyond that, a russet colored ink in the shape of company numbers/letter could be made small and indistinct enough that no one other than those familiar with it would recognize the significance,

blacbird
10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I know a mathematician who has pi to something like the 50th decimal tattooed up one arm.

Then again, that could be a birthmark.

mtrenteseau
10-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Sounds like what you need is not only going to be red or brown, but also more of a silhouette.

If it's asymmetrical, even if it's shaped remarkably like a map of Germany or a penny-farthing bicycle, it might attract the attention of people who know that asymmetry is one of the things one looks for to decide if a mole might be cancerous.

That actually might be a good idea - the mark is in the shape of the map of a province or territory, maybe something that's been disputed by different countries, like Alsace or Kurdistan. The shape of the mark would indicate what the bearer thinks the true boundaries are.

GeorgeK
10-18-2010, 06:23 AM
A unit brand??? So instead of thinking it was a birthmark, they might assume it's just a random old injury. That would fit the same bill for the story. Are there any military regulations that would prohibit it? Or, is it the kind of thing that the cadre would turn a blind eye to?

A geographical tattoo could also work.

Smiling Ted
10-21-2010, 09:34 AM
The older a tattoo, the blotchier, darker and more indistinct it becomes...

Sydneyd
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I do know that if you are in the military your tattoo should not be seen while in uniform. I remember that being a no no.