Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
As you contact newspapers, websites, magazines, radio, TV, etc., please list them here, along with what you sent and what the response has been so we don't duplicate efforts.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC's contact sheet

Why don't we each put a single post here, and edit it with updates so the thread doesn't get to be too long to slog through?

So far, I have contacted:

Dave Husdal, Managing Editor - The Banff Crag & Canyon / Canmore Leader newspapers. Tentative meeting for next week (week of Sept.26-30) to discuss exposure in the papers.

Wordfest - the Banff-Calgary International Writer's Festival. Sent initial contact e-mail.

I will be sending the press release to....

Television:
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)
A-Channel - links to stations across Canada
CFCN - CTV affiliate in Calgary
CHTV - Global affiliate in Calgary
Access Media Group - includes Access Channel, Canadian Learning Television, Court TV Canada, and Book Television

Radio:
Mountain FM - Banff & Canmore
CBC - Calgary
The Breeze - Calgary
CJay 92 - Calgary
Country 105 - Calgary
CKUA - Public radio, Calgary
CHQR - Calgary

Newspapers:
Calgary Herald
Calgary Sun

Calling all Canadians: we should coordinate an 'attack' on the national media, such as the Globe & Mail and National Post newspapers. If there's anyone near them who'd like to be the one to contact them, let me know. Otherwise I certainly don't mind adding them to my list.

Globe & Mail -- Head office in Toronto, contact info on the site
National Post -- Head office in Toronto area, contact info on the site

Last edited:

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Why don't we each put a single post here, and edit it with updates so the thread doesn't get to be too long to slog through?

So far, I have contacted:

Dave Husdal, Managing Editor - The Banff Crag & Canyon / Canmore Leader newspapers. Tentative meeting for next week (week of Sept.26-30) to discuss exposure in the papers.

Wordfest - the Banff-Calgary International Writer's Festival. Sent intial contact e-mail.

Do you have a list of countries these writers hail from...

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, do we have a boilerplate press release. I would love to have one that details the project, and I can add my own personal information to it. I'm a terrible PR writer, really. So if someone has a good one, please pass it on.

Anybody know anyone with the Associated Press??

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
TV & Radio Contacts

EDITED -- November 14, 2005

Sent releases to the following:

TELEVISION

WSIL TV 3 in Carterville, Illinois
WPSD TV 6 in Paducah, Kentucky

RADIO

WILLY Radio (94.3fm) in Mayfield, KY.
WKYQ (93.3fm) in Paducah, Kentucky
Z100 (99.9fm) in Carterville, Illinois[/B]

NEWSPAPERS

The Daily Register in Harrisburg, Illinois (www.dailyregister.com)
The Herald-Enterprise in Golconda, Illinois
The Hardin County Independent in Elizabethtown, Illinois
The Money Stretcher in Galatia, Illinois (www.galatiamoneystretcher.com)
The Southern Illinoian in Carbondale, Illinois (www.thesouthern.com)
The Paducah Sun in Paducah, Kentucky (www.paducahsun.com)
Marion Daily Republican in Marion, Illinois
Vienna Times in Vienna, Illinois
Carmi Times in Carmi, Illinois
Benton Evening News in Benton, Illinois

Last edited:

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't made any contacts yet, but these are the markets I plan to contact once I get the official press release:

TELEVISION:
WSAZ TV3 - Huntington/Charleston WV
WCHS TV8/WVAH FOX 11 - Huntington/Charleston WV
WOWK TV13 - Huntington/Charleston WV

RADIO
AM940 - Charleston
580 AM - Charleston (all of WV, if passed to WV Metro News) - Press release emailed 11/01/05

NEWSPAPERS
The Logan Banner - Logan, WV - Press release emailed 11/01/05
The Huntington Herald-Dispatch - Huntington, WV - Press release emailed 11/01/05
The Charleston Gazette/Daily Mail - Charleston, WV (Being covered by Shwebb, edit 09/25/05)
Williamson Daily News - Williamson, WV and KY - Press release emailed 11/01/05
Coal Valley News - Madison, WV - 09/26/05 - Spoke with newsroom rep, who is interested in doing an interview with me, including photos and all info re: the book. Told her everything would be available mid-October, she took the info and told me to come back then (I went in person, since I had other business nearby). - Press release emailed 11/01/05

As I contact each entity, I will post a date of contact and (hopefully) the result of that contact.

Last edited:

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
I guess that means I need to tell Dad about it sooner than I had planned to do... If you are putting it in the Logan Banner, that is. I don't want him to have a heart attack or anything before I tell him myself.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Rose colored glasses said:
I agree about having a master press release that we can all send.

Once we have that, I will contact the following:
San Francisco Chronicle
San Francisco Examiner
Oakland Tribune
San Jose paper

I'm sure I'll be able to find a lot more in the area, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaGlatzer
I've worked on a press release but am not thrilled with it, so I've asked a PR expert to help. Haven't heard back yet. I'm figuring on having one "master" press release that everyone can tweak to include their own info.

Bookstores will be able to order it through Ingram, which is the big wholesaler that most stores order from.

Last edited:

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take care of the South Florida market.

I may need some help. Do we have any contributers with a "name" from South Florida?

Anyone in the South Florida market, PM me. I need help.

Last edited:

Sully

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marybroadbent.com
Hi!

I have a poem in the anthology and I will be doing promotion in the seacoast NH area. I can expand that area if there is no one else doing promotion in this region.

I will be contacting:

All seacoast area papers
Boston Globe North
NHPTV
UNH radio

I will also be contacting my alumni associations and sending flyers to anyone I can think of so they can hang up a few where they live.

Mary

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
OK, then, once the PR is ready to go, I'll be sending it to ..

Gloucester County Times (almost guaranteed story; they eat that stuff up and I know one of their reporters, my son calls him Uncle Jim)

Courier Post (probable story there too)

Philadelphia Inquirer (will look good in their South Jersey section)

Fox 29
ABC affiliate (WPVI-TV; incidentally, the same channel that ran the PA consumer alert some time back)
CBS affiliate
NBC affiliate

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
BTW, anyone from this area (SW OH and W. PA)? A bunch of us Penn authors are going to band together to do some promotions and publicity. Anyone from Cincinnati/Dayton area? I think it's a good idea to combine our effort so we don't end up sending 6 different press releases or calling for 5 different signings...

Maybe we should get a list of authors in each metro area... and go from there..

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
BTW, anyone from this area (SW OH and W. PA)? A bunch of us Penn authors are going to band together to do some promotions and publicity. Anyone from Cincinnati/Dayton area? I think it's a good idea to combine our effort so we don't end up sending 6 different press releases or calling for 5 different signings...

Maybe we should get a list of authors in each metro area... and go from there..
Nice Idea Maestro...
I live in the Nashville, TN area..... anyone else that close...

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pm'ed you Ray. I'm ready, and we can coordinate the west side north to south.

I can load up Dayton book stores with info.

Ken

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Once the press release is available I'm going to hit the Baltimore Metro area radio stations and newspapers. I'm talking with my local Waldenbooks about carrying the book in the store, the seem receptive. I am hoping if the agress they will spread the word to other WBs. My hosptial gift shop is going to carry it and I may spread out to other hospitals. Any other suggs? Any new scoop on when the release will be ready?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hospital gift shop's a good idea.

How about Starbucks? Hallmark stores? Or places like that that a lot of people go? The PBS stores? Discover stores? .... Boy, we really need a distributor! LOL

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I will commit to submit the final press release to Northern Colorado--

Boulder Camera
Boulder Weekly
Loveland Herald
Fort Collins Coloradoan
Estes Park Trail Gazette
Estes Park News
CU Campus Press
CSU Campus Press
Greeley Tribune
The Bullhorn
Plus the artist's group here has an online place we put out PR, I'll check into that.
Paint

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in SE Ohio--just across from West Virginia border, and I will be hitting the media there, including:

Papers:
Parkersburg News/Sentinel/Marietta AM
Marietta Times
Morgan County Herald

Television: WTAP News, Parkersburg, WV

Bookstores: Waldon's and Family Bookstores are the only chain stores. (Does anyone know if this book will be suitable for a Christian bookstore?) But we have a lot of little bookstores, too.

We have 4 local hospitals; I will be targeting the gift shops--and I may try to get an appt w/ the PR man of the hospital where my husband works to see if they would like to help w/ some advertising; this is the sort of thing they like to promote because they're also promoting themselves w/ it.

I'll be contacting our local Red Cross (Mid-Ohio Valley Red Cross). I know the financial development director, and she might have some ideas/help on promotion.

Radio: WDMX, WCVV (if we can market the book to Christians) WGGE, WHBR, WHCM, WKYG, WLTP, WMOA, WNUS, WRRR, WRVB, WRZZ.

Also, I'm traveling to Charleston, South Carolina a week from today. I don't know the area well (but my sister-in-law lives there), but I'd be glad to at least pass out flyers or something, if no one is covering that area. I might even be able to speak to the gift shop manager of the swanky hotel my SIL works in--she's a massage therapist there.

Please let me know.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Ottawa Canada contacts

I live near Canada's capital, so I plan to hit the following:

TV:

CJOH (an affiliate of CTV), A Channel

Radio:

106.9 FM The Bear (my husband used to work there and many friends still do), 106.1 FM CHEZ (Friends work there), 93.9 Kool-FM (friends work there), 100.3 FM Majic, 89.9 FM HOT FM, 580 AM CFRA (News Channel), 105.3 FM Y105, 99.1 FM CHRI (Christian)

Newspaper:

The Ottawa Citizen, The Ottawa Sun, local papers around the Nat'l Capital Region

I am also a member of the Canadian Authors Association (as well as the Program Coordinator for the Ottawa branch) and plan to write an article for the November newsletter which hits members and non-members alike. There is also an Ottawa Book Fair coming up in November, I believe, and I will speak to the president to see if she will allow either the sale of the book, or advertising for it on our table.

One question which I think someone asked but I'm not certain it was answered. Jenna, do you feel we should urge people to go online and order the book or do you feel we should buy...30 copies, say and try to sell them on our own, at writer's meetings, to friends/family, etc?

In regards to approaching christian stores and stations, I see no reason why we cannot. The intent of submissions was to write about inspirational and strength-enriching subject matter, including and not limited to stories of faith. Jenna had also requested no foul language so that it wouldn't be limited to adult material. I would suspect that it would be safe, though Mac and Jenna would be able to veto the christian connection if they saw fit.

kim

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
A bunch of us Penn authors are going to band together to do some promotions and publicity.
I'm in! Let me know what you're thinking. Here's what I have going:

I'm going to try to set something up with a locally owned bookstore. Maybe they can buy some copies to have on hand (or I can) and we could do a reading or release party to encourage sales. I've already sent out a mass mailing (about 100 people) to all of my family and friends with the webpage and the title of my story so that they can be ready to buy when it's released. I've received about 30 emails back asking where they could purchase it and when, so that's AWESOME.

And I was thinking of doing something with our local Starbucks literacy program. A friend of mine is the manager at the Downtown State College Starbucks and we're working on a program to start in the new year for children's literacy. Basically it's an afterschool program where local writers and singers come to read to the kids, either original works of their own or something classic. I was thinking I could do a reading with the parents for the anthology immediately following a kids session. Still thinking of other ideas.

Oh yeah! I mentioned it to 2 of my Comp Lit professors and both said to send an announcement/press release to the head of the department and they could set something up with writing groups/student/faculty news organizations to get the word out there.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I will be contacting the following: Still may consider News Stations in the surrounding parishes as well. I have to accumulate them all. Will post with update.

Baton Rouge Area

Television
KPBN TV11
WAFB TV 9
WBRZ TV 2
WBXH TV 39
WGMB TV 44
WVLA TV 33

Newspaper

www.theadvocate.com Baton Rouge Advocate - main Baton Rouge newspaper online
www.daily-report.com Baton Rouge Business Daily report online
www.businessreport.com Baton Rouge Business Report every other Wed online
www.lsureveille.com LSU Reveille
www.sbrj.com South Baton Rouge Journal
www.tigerweekly.com Tiger Weekly
www.countryroadsmag.com Country Roads Magazine - events, culture, tourism
www.rhythmcitymag.com Rhythm City Mag - Baton Rouge Entertainment (web content outdated)
www.bayoubuzz.com Louisiana Technology online newspaper

Surrounding Parishes Newspapers
www.bayoubuzz.com Louisiana Technology online newspaper
www.nola.com New Orleans Times Picayune - main New Orleans newspaper online
www.neworleanscitybusiness.com New Orleans City Business newspaper online
www.bestofneworleans.com Best of New Orleans Gambit Weekly
bizneworleans.com Biz New Orleans newspaper online

Opelousas newspapers
www.dailyworld.com Opelousas - The Daily World

Plaquemine newspapers
www.postsouth.com Plaquemine - Post/South

Port Allen newspapers
www.theriversidereader.com Port Allen - The Riverside Reader
www.westsidejournal.com Port Allen - Westside Journal

www.theadvertiser.com The Advertiser - Lafayette Louisiana daily newspaper
www.acadiananow.com Acadiana Now - Lafayette Louisiana daily newspaper
www.timesofacadiana.com The Times of Acadiana - Lafayette Louisiana weekly newspaper

Lake Charles newspapers
www.americanpress.com Lake Charles American Press
www.timessw.com Lake Charles - Times of Southwest Louisiana

LaPlace newspapers
www.lobservateur.com LaPlace - L'Observateur

Leesville newspapers
www.leesvilledailyleader.com Leesville Daily Leader

Livingston Parish newspapers
www.livingstonparishnews.com Livingston Parish News

Logansport newspapers
www.toledobendtribune.com Logansport - The Toledo Bend Tribune

Lutcher newspapers