PDA

View Full Version : John W Henry - what's he like?

mirandashell
10-16-2010, 05:46 PM
The reason I'm asking is that he's now the owner of Liverpool Football Club over here. It's been a huge news story for the last two weeks and no-one really knows too much about him. We don't really follow baseball.

So, what's his reputation in America and will he be good for the club?

alleycat
10-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Henry isn't that well-known outside of certain circles in the US, but he seems to be a real sports fan and not just a businessman when it comes to the teams he owns or partially owns, so I would expect it would be a satisfactory ownership to the Liverpool fans.

The Boston Red Sox baseball fans here would have more information. They're probably happy since under Henry's ownership they broke the long-standing curse of Boston not winning the World Series.

mirandashell
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Not like the last two then? LOL!

That's good to hear.

regdog
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
John Henry founded John W Henry & Co an investment company. He started investment trading in corn and soybean futures now he's into futures and foreign exchange.He's worth roughly 3.5 billion. Although Bloomberg reported his investment company is in trouble

He got into sports years ago buying a minor league baseball team and negotiating for expansion teams in baseball and hockey. He bought the Florida Marlins in 1999. IN 2002 he sold them and bought the Red Sox with Tom Werner. The Sox won the Series in 2004 and 2007.

Apparently his current wife was the person who had him buy Liverpool.

As a 'Pool fan I'm hoping he doesn't stick them with a GM as bad as the Sox. The bullpen was crud this year thanks to most of our good young talent being traded away by Epstein. Although last year he did pay $8 million for John Smoltz who won 2 and lost 5 games with an 8+ era before leaving the team

Priene
10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
He'll be the sixth-most competent chairman in the Championship next year.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
As a 'Pool fan I'm hoping he doesn't stick them with a GM as bad as the Sox. The bullpen was crud this year thanks to most of our good young talent being traded away by Epstein. Although last year he did pay $8 million for Tom Glavin who won 2 and lost 5 games with an 8+ era before leaving the team

Thanks to Theo Epstein and the owners, the Sox have won two World Series since 2004. The last Series victory was in 1918. For me, he's kind of like New Order, ne' Joy Division. He can spin crap for the rest of his life - if in fact he is, but I'm not so sure - but he gets a pass because, for four years, he was magic.

I dunno... I haven't followed things closely this year, but I think they've had a lot of injuries this year, haven't they? I'm not big on huge payments to very old players either. Glavine didn't work out, but you'd have to say that, for old guys, Mike Lowell and Curt Schilling worked out pretty well (as did Josh Beckett). Glavine might have been a bit of a risk that didn't pan out (and possibly been a silly risk; I don't know, contract games give me a headache), but the Sox will be back.

I don't pay enough attention, but I get the idea he's generally solid, but he rolls the dice (K) now and then. I mean, Hanley Ramirez is elsewhere, but aren't Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester homegrown?

Pity the Rays -- they were hearing about being broken up even before their playoffs finished!

regdog
10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks to Theo Epstein and the owners, the Sox have won two World Series since 2004. The last Series victory was in 1918. For me, he's kind of like New Order, ne' Joy Division. He can spin crap for the rest of his life - if in fact he is, but I'm not so sure - but he gets a pass because, for four years, he was magic.

I dunno... I haven't followed things closely this year, but I think they've had a lot of injuries this year, haven't they? I'm not big on huge payments to very old players either. Glavine didn't work out, but you'd have to say that, for old guys, Mike Lowell and Curt Schilling worked out pretty well (as did Josh Beckett). Glavine might have been a bit of a risk that didn't pan out (and possibly been a silly risk; I don't know, contract games give me a headache), but the Sox will be back.

I don't pay enough attention, but I get the idea he's generally solid, but he rolls the dice (K) now and then. I mean, Hanley Ramirez is elsewhere, but aren't Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester homegrown?

Pity the Rays -- they were hearing about being broken up even before their playoffs finished!

First I want to say I had the wrong pitcher, it was John Smoltz not Glavin.

The first few years Epstein did a great job trading. Mike Lowell being added in as "the player to be named later" was one of the greatest acquisitions the Sox ever had. He will go down as one of the most loved, respected and greatest players, the team had. Class from head to toe.

The past couple of years Epstein really has not done well. $100 million for Dice K who at best is a mediocre pitcher. Dice K refuses to listen to the coach or pitching coach and infuriated the team by verbal blasting the manager, Franconia.

From the outside it looked like Dice K only listened to Jason Veritek because Veritek scared him sh**less.

Ellsbury was out most of the entire season with injuries. Lester has been a great story, beat cancer and has a great career going. Bucholtz was a pleasant surprise this year, but Lackey was hit or miss. Beckett is usually strong but lagged this season.

The biggest problem was the bullpen. Arddsma, Tavaris, and Justin Masterson were all traded away and were solid mid and short term reliever, Masterson was starter. Epstein kept Manny Del Carmen for most of the year and he was usually blowing leads and giving up home runs. It was painful to watch him come in from the bullpen.

Getting rid on Manny Ramierez was a good move but he didn't keep the fantastic player we got for him, Jason Bay. He let Bay leave for the Mets. And Bay was a solid homerun hitter.

All and all Epstein started well but hasn't been solid with his dealings the last two years.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Was Bay ever going to be around for more than a year? GREAT pickup, but IIRC, it never looked hugely likely that he would be around long. And Ellsbury will be back - he's hardly damaged goods, so he definitely doesn't count as a failure. And there's Pedroia - or is he still around?

Tavares - Julian Tavares, the same one they got from the Cards?

Can't win 'em all. Maybe 'inconsistent' is the word... the loyalty to Papi and Varitek, possibly both well past their best, is staunch to say the least, whereas for some of the others, "it's a business". Derek Lowe - huge in 2004, gone. Look at him go now. But on the other hand, Bronson Arroyo? Hum. Potential is a funny thing.

He wasn't afraid to let go of some of the players from 2004 - big risk, and an emotional wrench, I'm sure. But they were back three years later.

For all that, it's not been a great couple of years, I agree. Even the Yankees don't get everything right, though, not by a long shot.

Epstein isn't afraid to make big calls. And the owners haven't flinched. Their reward is that, no matter what, their places in the Boston sports pantheon are assured, and Boston is a Sports Town.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
What does all that mean for Liverpool?

I think they'll be good... IF they can manage to give enough attention to each team. If not, they'll have to find someone who can do the job and let them do it.

regdog
10-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Pedroia is still around but broke his foot, came back too soon and had to have surgery. Papi came through 32 homers over 100 RBI's. He's slow in April and May but comes on later in the season.

I might be wrong but I don't think the Sox even countered the Met's offer. Varitek might be done here but for him to go the Sox will have to resign Martinez and he hasn't given an indication he will resign.

Ellsbury isn't the most popular guy with the team because he took off to Arizona when he got hurt and stayed there for a long time. Youkilis called him out on it and there were less than pleasant exchanges in the media. So no one is sure what's going to happen with him.

Worse Epstein wanted to being back Johnny Damon. Ugh. No thanks. We'll see what happens this off season.

regdog
10-18-2010, 05:31 PM
What does all that mean for Liverpool?

I think they'll be good... IF they can manage to give enough attention to each team. If not, they'll have to find someone who can do the job and let them do it.

'Pool has to do something. They only have 6 points right now. The good thing about Henry is he is more than willing to spend money to improve a club and he isn't a buttinsky owner. Fingers crossed, 'Pool needs something to kick start them.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Pedroia is still around but broke his foot, came back too soon and had to have surgery. Papi came through 32 homers over 100 RBI's. He's slow in April and May but comes on later in the season.
Goes to show my attention span! Dang.

I might be wrong but I don't think the Sox even countered the Met's offer. Varitek might be done here but for him to go the Sox will have to resign Martinez and he hasn't given an indication he will resign.
Maybe they can sign Posada!

Ellsbury isn't the most popular guy with the team because he took off to Arizona when he got hurt and stayed there for a long time. Youkilis called him out on it and there were less than pleasant exchanges in the media. So no one is sure what's going to happen with him.
Ouch. That won't play in Boston.

Worse Epstein wanted to being back Johnny Damon. Ugh. No thanks. We'll see what happens this off season.
He MUST have been high.

Anyhoo, thanks for the lesson. Like most good fans, I talk a -lot- more than I actually know.

Priene
10-18-2010, 05:42 PM
The last thing English football needs is another idiot owner pumping in gallons of money. Receivership and relegation would be better for everyone. With hopefully Manchester City and Chelsea to follow.

regdog
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
My grandfather, a lifelong devoted Sox fan would be proud that I've paid such close attention to him and his beloved Sox :)

regdog
10-18-2010, 05:48 PM
The last thing English football needs is another idiot owner pumping in gallons of money. Receivership and relegation would be better for everyone. With hopefully Manchester City and Chelsea to follow.

I wouldn't call Henry an idiot but the Sox GM Epstein, yes. Knowing how Henry helped turn the Sox around I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with 'Pool. Under his ownership we've won 2 World Series 2004 and 2007 not bad since we waited from 1918 for a WS.

Priene
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't call Henry an idiot but the Sox GM Epstein, yes. Knowing how Henry helped turn the Sox around I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with 'Pool. Under his ownership we've won 2 World Series 2004 and 2007 not bad since we waited from 1918 for a WS.

Maybe not an idiot, but you've got to be an optimist to invest in English football. Randy Lerner's discovered just how far investments take you. When you're competing with Russian oligarchs and oil sheikhs, even the the owner of Boston Red Sox looks like a pauper. You have to lay down a fortune just to build the team and then budget for a Champion's League place every single year. If you finish fifth instead of fourth, you get Leeds and Liverpool. Meanwhile the rest of us just plod along because we haven't got an iota of a chance against the oligarchs, and the so-called elite snarl and whinge at each other. It's awful, and it needs one of the big clubs to go bankrupt. Personally, I don't care which one. They're all the same.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see a salary cap for baseball. But it'll never happen.

Of course, money doesn't guarantee success... just ask the Cubs.

BenPanced
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
i liek choklit meelk

:nothing

Priene
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
God, it's not even a salary cap I want. Just stopping nutters pumping in hundreds of millions would be a start. The Premier League is the richest league in the world. Manchester United, its most successful team. They lost 83 million last year, which may (I'm not quite sure) include the 80 million for the sale of Christiano Ronaldo. It's flat out mental.

Oh yeah, and Roman Abramovich has spent 600 million on Chelsea. That's 0.6 billion. On a football club that used to employ Mickey Droy. It's more than mental.

poetinahat
10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I hear they call his girlfriend Natasha, but she looks like Elsie

Priene
10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
There's no place here for the mini-skirt waddle.

(Me and poetinahat are in a death-duel over who knows more New Wave lyrics. His in-depth knowledge of the Cocteau Twins is countered by my mastery of the Sinceros' back catalogue.)

cray
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
john henry was big.
and strong.

so they say.