Name your fears...

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
...we all have them and as M/T/S writers we need to expose them and place our readers into a heart-pumping, page-flipping state. I thought maybe a thread for brainstorming areas of fear might prove useful to all of us. (I know we're imaginative and have tonnes of ideas ourselves, but you never know. Maybe something will come up that we personally never thought of before?)

I'll start with a few:
- waking up in the middle of the night to a person in my bedroom doorway
- drowning
- getting into a car accident
- burning in a fire
- falling off a tall building (or a house roof for that matter lol)
- losing loved ones

What about you? What are you afraid of?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Losing my home [a beautiful Edwardian property.]
Dementia
Getting a rejection from the MA I'm applying for.

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
- Having been shot in a leg, then an arm, for example, and staring at the barrel of the gun while your assailant taunts you.
- Watching while restrained as a loved one is tortured/killed.
- Being in a pitch dark room knowing there is someone in there with a knife and a desire to off you.
- Having your child snatched from you.

Honest... I sleep well at night...

-

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Finding that I'm adopted and Dan Brown's my daddy.

Alexis McKnight

Registered
Reaction score
My worst fear is that I'll die a horrible tragic death like the deaths in my latest novel Murder at the Rendezvous

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Strangulation. It just seems so uncomfortable. I like to breathe. A lot.

I must not be a very fearful person because that's all I can come up with. Optimism makes for happy. Realism makes for preparedness after optimism gets its guts blown away. ;)

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to list my bigger, stranger fears. I can see myself writing a story where some nut reads this thread and proceeds to act them out on unsuspecting AWers.

(Then we'd find out that Todd and Whacko are twins and their parents are Dan Brown and Joan Rivers.)

Therefore, my most horrifying fear is picking out a pair of pants to wear and not finding any clean socks that are the right color. :p

Exile87

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL at Todd and mt! haha

Hmmm....I've noticed, since starting my new sci fi/mystery that the slightest noise has me looking around when it's dark and I'm in bed. Just reading about a scary scene has me going bonkers! I love the opening of the movie When a Stranger Calls. OMG, I couldn't sleep for nights after that...

Other random fears that occasionally cross my mind...

-Being tied up and tortured/killed...no need to go into the options there...

-Being eaten alive by a Great White...

-Coming out to people who will make my life more of a living hell than it already is...

And if anyone has fears of your plane falling apart mid-flight, check this out. Awesome read/survival guide! http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4344036.html?page=1

Jam

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
i'm not really afraid of anything.

i'm more, resigned, really, that things will go wrong.

and i've lived through some of the scariest things in the world. so it would just be more of the same. really.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Just remembered.

Swarm of bugs. Hate bugs. They can live outside fine. Just leave me alone, especially inside. Inside is my space. Outside is yours. Stay in your space!

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Namatu, bugs that could be an interesting torture method....maybe use poisonous crawlers to kill someone? ick...makes me think of that one tv episode (or movie?) where the guy was tied to a chair, cut to bleed and then rats were going to finish him off.

makes me think of another fear of mine - spiders, taranchulas... :S

JessC12

Registered
Reaction score
I'm super paranoid that I won't be dead but they'll think I am and so I will be buried alive. Hence my wish for cremation. But then I'm kind of scared that then I'll be burned alive. But I think I'd rather that than buried...

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Namatu, bugs that could be an interesting torture method....maybe use poisonous crawlers to kill someone?
Ugh, just set a mass of them around a tied-to-chair me and I'll have such a fit I'll spontaneously combust. They Must. Not. Crawl. On me!

I'm super paranoid that I won't be dead but they'll think I am and so I will be buried alive. Hence my wish for cremation. But then I'm kind of scared that then I'll be burned alive. But I think I'd rather that than buried...
Burning would be over more quickly.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I have chiroptophobia so I'm terrified of bats. It's a really irrational fear because there's no real reason, but if I'm in the same room as a bat, I'll break down into hysterical sobs. They just really scare me. Little freaks of nature...

Of course on a larger scale I'm afraid of dying and just being alone in complete isolation.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
I have chiroptophobia so I'm terrified of bats. It's a really irrational fear because there's no real reason, but if I'm in the same room as a bat, I'll break down into hysterical sobs. They just really scare me. Little freaks of nature...

Have you ever had a situation in which you were in the same room as a bat?

One got into my mother's house and our neighbor killed it when it was hanging upside down in the middle of a Christmas wreath over the mantle. We were both furious - not for any PETA/animal rights stuff, but it was an artificial wreath my parents had bought for their first Christmas as a married couple and we had to throw it out.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Poor little bat. :(

Anyway, as for my typical fears, I have nightmares about mean water, which is usually any water that's murky and dark and really wavy. You know, the kind that wants to kill you? Normal water I'm fine with, though. I'm a good swimmer.

Tornadoes. I really, really hate tornadoes. Also fascinated by them, though. Actually, I also have tornado dreams.

Not actually afraid of dying. These are the first two that really stand out. I'm sure I'm afraid of more, but those are the main ones. I did discover a fear of being attacked by dogs the other day. 99.99% of all dogs I'm perfectly fine with, but I got chased down last week by a dog that was jumping on my back trying to bite me, and that was freaky. I wasn't just worried for myself, though. I was actually more afraid that it was going to attack someone else before I could find out how to contact it's owner and I had no idea what I'd do if it did. That was pretty terrifying. Now it freaks me out just seeing it.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
kaitie, I've been in three tornadoes. Hurricanes? Bah. You know they're coming days in advance. Tornadoes? You're lucky if you get five minutes warning. THEY are scary.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been in a couple myself, and had lots of close calls. I think that's why I'm scared. Hurricanes...well, depends I guess. They're noisy, but if they're not too big and everything's boarded up they don't really scare me too much. Also, I can evacuate before a hurricane. ;)

Did I not mention earthquakes? How did I not mention earthquakes? I guess because I don't have to live every moment of my life aware that I'm way overdue for a giant earthquake likely to kill thousands and injure hundreds of thousands. Oh wait, I live in the Midwest...

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
going back to grad school....I have a recurring nightmare where I find out, belatedly, somehow I'm not finished and I need to go back

losing loved ones

hitting a point where I decide sagging or Jersey Shore are cool