NFL and an English point of view

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
First of all, I have to apologise for being nearly a week late but Saturday mornings are the only chance I get to see the game.

So, the 49ers......Lordy me! I watched the first quarter and thought 'how the hell are they 0-4?' By the 4th quarter I knew. Penalties, penalties, penalties.....

But that 4th quarter was amazing! I don't what Singletary and Smith said to each other but it worked! One dreadful drive and then one beautiful one!

Obviously, if it were a Hollywood film, the final drive would have ended with a Hail Mary pass to the end zone and a 49ers win. But life isn't like that.

To all 49ers fan, I feel for you.

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You got the NFL part down,
so I guess I'll do the English part:

A quite violent sort of affair isn't it?
All those collisions,
and the extraordinary amount of protective gear.
It's not at all like our football
but I did fancy the trousers.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ahem... Kelly. I am English! I just happen to enjoy the NFL!

Ah no, hang on....... you're cracking a joke! I get it!

God, I'm slow sometimes......

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it bizarre they call it football when the foot is hardly ever used? Bloody Yanks ought to call it throwball since they're always throwing the ball around.

Richard

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
They probably haven't noticed. You should email the NFL.

I've tried, they haven't responded yet. And my national campaign to rename the sport 'throwball' or 'runball' (although there is very little running in today's games) has not caught on yet. But I am hopeful.

Richard

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ROFL! My partner and her big brother are huge football fans, San Francisco born and raised. They are both boycotting the Niners on TV this season out of sadness for how much they suck. I guess they are going to watch the next game because the only thing they hate more than the Niners sucking, is the Raider Nation. I suspect it's not going to end well, though.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried, they haven't responded yet. And my national campaign to rename the sport 'throwball' or 'runball' (although there is very little running in today's games) has not caught on yet. But I am hopeful.

Maybe we should rename our national sport bankruptcyball? Litigationball? Dodgybettingpatternball? Overpaidsexualbullyball?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
ROFL! My partner and her big brother are huge football fans, San Francisco born and raised. They are both boycotting the Niners on TV this season out of sadness for how much they suck. I guess they are going to watch the next game because the only thing they hate more than the Niners sucking, is the Raider Nation. I suspect it's not going to end well, though.

Ah! That game should be fun to watch!

And er.... could we stop with the ribbing? Please?

I would love to be able to discuss the NFL seriously as OH is the only other person I know who is into it. Thank you.

;)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! That game should be fun to watch!

And er.... could we stop with the ribbing? Please?

I would love to be able to discuss the NFL seriously as OH is the only other person I know who is into it. Thank you.

;)

Hey, I'm into it. It's just the twenty years of the Cleveland Browns have ground the enthusiasm out of me, what with Art Satan Modell and Kellen Wheelie Winslow and Butch Davis and Phil 'n' Romeo and Braylon Granitehands and Donte DUI Manslaughter StallworthEdwards and Quinn v Anderson.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a CFL fan and I can't watch NFL. The game is too slow in the US for my liking. And over-hyped/marketed.

That being said, the Edmonton Eskimos have left a lot to be desired in the last couple years all thanks to Macocia.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about the CFL. I didn't even know there was one.......

Sorry....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You know what....

I really, really don't like the Colts.

To Kitty - I bet your partner and her brother were happy bunnies last weekend!

To Priene - you poor love.....

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about the CFL. I didn't even know there was one.......

Sorry....
The CFL is just like the NFL except we have smaller players, a bigger field, and only 3 changes to get the ball 10 yards instead of four. And yet somehow, we manage. :tongue