Too much fruit

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
This is obviously a personal taste thing, but fruit appears far too often in online recipes where sweetness is largely inappropriate. Allrecipes seems to be the worst offender, but there are others. I have to rely on Epicurious when I want to avoid fruit, which I almost always do. Again, it may just be me, but I dislike fruit in my meals; I prefer savory dishes. Perhaps the old "fresh fruits and vegetables" mantra is to blame.

Thus, I need more sources of fruit-free recipes. Have at it.

ETA: Note that I'm using "fruit" loosely, in the popular sense. Tomato and avocado are fruit, but they're acceptable because they aren't cloyingly sweet.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I used to absolutely despise fruit with savoury dishes. It just seemed so wrong to me - turkey with cranberry sauce?? Pork with apples?? Ewww!
However I must say that I've come around and, I've found that I've really enjoy the contrasting tastes.

I think it started by liking curry - and the mixing of raisins with onions and curry with rice. Then I realized that one of my favourite meals that my mother made when I was a kid, was pork chops simmered in a green tomato apple chutney and served over rice. Soon I was branching out and ordering sword fish with mango salsa and once I had pizza with ham and pineapple - and liked it! One of my favourite appetizers is grapes encased in blue cheese and rolled in walnuts, another is a fresh date wrapped in bacon - there is something about the two -sweet and salty - together that is magical.

I think that sweet (aka fruit) with savoury is something that does take a bit of trying, you just need to keep trying - although I do draw the line at turkey and cranberries, that's just weird.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Leite's Culinaria, Chow.com and Saveur.com.
You'll never look back at Allrecipes.

And they blow Epicurious away.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think that sweet (aka fruit) with savoury is something that does take a bit of trying, you just need to keep trying -
Yeah, this is what my mom told me about brussels sprouts.

She tried putting them on my plate until I left home. I'm a grown up now, I don't have to eat what I don't like.

I hope you get help eventually SP.

ETA: Yay! Helpful

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My mother never served what "she" didn't like and as a consequence I never encountered brussels sprouts (and sweet potatoes, squash and spinach) until I was an adult. I love them all.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Sweet potatoes, spinach, and Brussels sprouts are not fruit. Squash are, but they're popularly considered vegetables. This thread isn't about those foods. It's about fruit.

I eat lots of fruit. I like fruit. I think it's great in desserts.

I just don't want fruit in my savory foods. I didn't think that was hard to understand, but apparently it is.

Last edited:

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
From the very different reactions that people have to the same dishes, it's clear that we humans taste things differently. For example, my youngest brother describes the taste of watermelon as "intensely bitter", which is not at all the way that I perceive the taste of that fruit.

I think that many of us do find that fruit can be used to advantage in savory dishes; otherwise, there wouldn't be half as many recipes as there are calling for various forms of fruit in savory recipes. I myself enjoy cooking and eating savory dishes with all sorts of fruit. But certainly there are many, many recipes for savory dishes that do not call for fruit. Perhaps you might consider looking into one or more cookbooks, rather than sticking with online recipe sources.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Watermelon is a cucurbit, and many varieties do indeed have bitter compounds that only a subset of the population can taste. I am in that subset. I can taste the same bitterness in, e.g., most types of cucumbers. But there are other varieties with the bitterness bred out, so you can recommend those for your brother. He'll have to find local sources, though, because such cucurbits rarely make it into supermarkets. I grew one such variety in my garden this year, and the fruit from those vines was tasty.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet potatoes, spinach, and Brussels sprouts are not fruit. Squash are, but they're popularly considered vegetables. This thread isn't about those foods. It's about fruit.

I eat lots of fruit. I like fruit. I think it's great in desserts.

I just don't want fruit in my savory foods. I didn't think that was hard to understand, but apparently it is.

My apologies.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If discussing the best chili and which kind of BBQ sauce didn't do it, I can't imagine needing to close a thread over fruitless recipes in 'Now We're Cookin'', of all places... but I'll do it if it's necessary.

What isn't necessary is condescension and/or the use of any form of the word 'fuck' anywhere in this room. I haven't seen this much ill will inspired in less than one page of posts anywhere else on AW, with the exception of PC&E.

Respect your fellow cook as you respect your fellow writer.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Ditto CatSlave's recommendations. Leite's Culinaria, Chowhound, and Saveur are really the only resources you need to find good recipes, fruit or no fruit. Smitten Kitchen and No Recipes are also two good blogs to check out.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
My apologies.
Hey, thanks for the apology :) I was offended at what I perceived (rightly or wrongly) to be suggestions that I'm a backwards caveman with an underdeveloped palate. Sorry if my manner was too brusque.

And thanks to others for the other sites to look at.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
That Mushroom Stuffed Pork Tenderloin sounds delicious. I'm doing a pork sirloin roast today, brined in apple juice and rum with garlic, fresh rosemary, and pepper. The apple juice doesn't lend any sweetness to it that I can discern - and I don't like fruit mixed with my meat, either.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watermelon is a cucurbit, and many varieties do indeed have bitter compounds that only a subset of the population can taste.

Do you happen to know the approximate percentage of the subset? Seems to me that little fact might be useful in a murder mystery.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, most recipes -except for baking- are just guidelines or approximations.
You follow the blueprint, but build the dish according to your own taste.
If you don't like the fruit, omit it or substitute another ingredient.

BTW, curcurbits are notoriously promiscuous and will breed with any cousin close by,
which can produce some awful-tasting produce.
For example, never plant melons and cucumbers in close proximity.