The terrifying power of genteel speech

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
While I'll admit that a tracksuit-wearing punk could Jersey Shore a rant three inches off my nose and scare me half to death, there's a colder, more precise way to cause my bladder considerable and ill-timed pressure.

Think Hannibal Lecter. Just him saying hello is more frightening than a carny breathing in my ear. If you cross the 'c' in 'civil' with its adjacent 'i', well, that looks a lot like an 'e' and that spells 'evil'. Coincidence? I think not.

While gathering together a few links for this evening's AuthorScoop book review feature, I came across this gem. It's a quote from a letter written by Cornelius Vanderbilt and circulated to a few of his cronies who had swindled him while he was away on other business. Ultimately, they pirated one of his companies. Here's what he said:

Gentlemen: You have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for law takes too long. I will ruin you.
Eeep. That was all he said. Apparently, he made good on his threat, too. He's been dead for 133 years and I'm still going to have nightmares about him.
250px-Cornelius_Vanderbilt_Daguerrotype2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I find looking someone dead in the eye and saying, "I know where you live," also works.

Failing that, teaching their child to say "Bahookie!"

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
"What sayest thou, O king? Far be it that thy mouth should utter so disagreeable and silly a word. So long as thou dost exercise justice thou wilt reign; but if thou infringe it, thou wilt cease to be a king..."