PDA

View Full Version : Please, help! Poisoning question.

Laquesi
10-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey guys!
I've tried to research this using Google, but had no luck.
I need to know the following:
First, if a person is poisoned with small amounts of agrotoxics for about a month, can she endure that period of time without collapsing sooner? (Note: she has special powers and can endure a little more than a common human being, I just want to know if that would be reasonable enough).
Second, after that person finally collapses (I mean, feels really bad and stays kinda unconscious for 3 and a half days), when she is treated with activated charcoal (on that third day), how long would it take for her to regain conscious and actually visibly respond to treatment?
And a third question: would agrotoxics, such as glufosinate, be easy to obtain/produce in a world resembling the one in the 1800s, but with a little more technological advance?
I know, I know, those are weird and complicated questions, but I need to finish my WIP and they are getting in the way! Lol.
Thanks in advance!

Drachen Jager
10-16-2010, 02:39 AM
You mean herbicide right?

"Glufosinate is a non-selective herbicide widely used in domestic gardens and agriculture. Few cases of glufosinate poisoning have been reported although there has been an increase in recent years, particularly in Japan. Glufosinate toxicity is related to its capacity to inhibit glutamine synthetase and glutamate decarboxylase, which may lead to a potentially fatal multiorgan failure. We report the case of a 41-year-old woman who ingested between 30 and 50 mL of a herbicide (Finale) containing glufosinate (14%) in a suicide attempt. One hour after ingestion, the patient attended the Emergency Department of her own volition. Her overall status was good, and the physical examination was unremarkable. Gastric lavage was carried out, 25 g of activated charcoal was administered, and the patient was admitted for observation. Seventeen hours later, the patient presented drowsiness and a sinus bradycardia of 40 bpm. Thirty-two hours after ingestion, the Glasgow Coma Score was 8, and orotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation were begun. At 3 days, the patient presented a self-limiting episode of ventricular tachycardia. She recovered consciousness progressively and was extubated without complications. The evolution was favorable, but the sinus bradycardia persisted up to 8 days after the ingestion. A study of lymphocyte mitochondrial function showed no alteration in mitochondrial oxidative capacity or the enzymatic activity of the complexes of the electron transport chain. A small ingestion of glufosinate can cause severe poisoning, whose manifestations predominantly involve the central nervous system and heart rhythm. Signs and symptoms may not appear for several hours and may persist for several days. In spite of these multi-organ manifestations, no alteration in lymphocyte mitochondrial function has been reported." - From PubMed

Also see: http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glufosin.htm

Ha ha! My Google-Fu is superior to yours! (lips continue to move for a few seconds)

LBlankenship
10-16-2010, 04:27 AM
>Second, after that person finally collapses (I mean, feels really bad and stays kinda unconscious for 3 and a half days), when she is treated with activated charcoal (on that third day), how long would it take for her to regain conscious and actually visibly respond to treatment?

If she's down that hard for 3 days and still needs major intervention then, she'd better be fairly superhuman to realistically pull through. And that's even if someone is keeping her fed and watered while she's down.

Plus, after 3 days it won't be in her stomach unless she's continuing to ingest it. Again, if she's already down hard and still ingesting, she'd better be Wonder Woman.

>would agrotoxics, such as glufosinate, be easy to obtain/produce in a world resembling the one in the 1800s, but with a little more technological advance

I was a biology major, not chemistry, but it sounds like a stretch to me. Most industrial poisons are a 20th-century development.

Laquesi
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks, guys.
I guess I meant herbicide. I threw 'agrotoxic' on Google to see if it existed and it showed me it does, but now, checking again, I realized that the results were translations from Portuguese and Spanish, lol.
And I actually got those other results on Google, but I still need a time frame (woman is intubated, treated etc. How many days before the doctors take the tube out, considering she responds to treatment and gets better faster than a 'normal' person?).
Oh, how I hate to do research... This is totally killing my mojo!