PDA

View Full Version : Rejection couched in firm's name -- can I query a different agent there?

Hathor
10-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I queried Agent 1, of the Agent 1 Agency, by name. I received a rejection from a different individual. The rejection is phrased in terms of "we," "our agency," and "our list," and refers to seeking out "another agency."

Would this mean it would be inappropriate to query Agent 2 at the Agent 1 Agency?

kaitlin008
10-15-2010, 07:20 PM
That sounds like a no from the whole agency. Do they have a website? Sometimes they state that kind of information on websites, and you could check.

Hathor
10-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I was just about to edit my post to mention that the website doesn't say!

I guess the technical answer is that I "can" query. The question is whether there is any possibility of success :D

Thinking about it, it seems like hopes are dim. They may have a gatekeeper for the entire firm or an unstated policy of "a 'no' from one is a 'no' from all." Otherwise, why wouldn't the rejection be phrased in terms of the queried agent?

It isn't as if I haven't seen plenty of other rejections. I just haven't seen one written this way :Shrug:

Susan Littlefield
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Hathor,

It sounds like your work is not right for that particular agency. I wouldn't query them again with this particular manuscript. I would send them a thank you card/email for their consideration and move on to whomever is next on your list.

DeadlyAccurate
10-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I would send them a thank you card/email for their consideration and move on to whomever is next on your list.

Sounds like the rejection is a form, so a thank you email just fills their inbox up unnecessarily. Every agent blog I've seen says thank yous for form rejections are simply annoying.

brainstorm77
10-16-2010, 01:39 AM
I'd leave it as is.

Hathor
10-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah, time to move on. Thanks, all.

Susan Littlefield
10-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Sounds like the rejection is a form, so a thank you email just fills their inbox up unnecessarily. Every agent blog I've seen says thank yous for form rejections are simply annoying.

Really? Maybe some links?

I heard an agent speak on this subject, or read at an agent blog, or perhaps somewhere here, that thanking the agent for their time is a good practice whether or not you received a rejection or an acceptance. I would think it's a good practice whether it's a form or hand written rejection.

Since I will be sending out queries soon, maybe an agent can respond?

Wordwrestler
10-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I believe when agents say you should thank them for their time, they're referring to the query letter. The last line of a query letter often says something like this:

"Thank you for your time and attention."

I'm too lazy to link, but it seems to be universal that agents find it inappropriate & annoying when authors reply to form rejections.

If you should get a personalized rejection, that you're SURE is personal because it mentions specific characters or story elements, then a brief thank-you is acceptable.

Georgina
10-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I spent a couple of years reading agent blogs religiously, and I agree with DeadlyAccurate -- many agents I saw said that a thank you to a form rejection is just spam in their inbox. Agents often get 500+ queries a week. Assuming they form reject most of them, thanking them doubles the email they have to go through.

Here's a post (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2010/01/more-on-auto-responders-cause-you-guys.html) I found at Janet Reid's blog with a quick thought on it:

I like to hear from real people, and be able to reply. Auto responders and knee jerk replies (thank you to form letters) and all-address-book emails are NOT from real people.I remember her writing several other times about not thanking for form letters, but that's the first one I found.

If you're uncertain, you could always search the blogs of the agents you're querying and see what they think, but for what it's worth, I've never seen an agent who said they wanted a thank you to a form. At most, they said they didn't mind either way.

Cheers.

Jennifer_Laughran
10-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I am an agent. I guess some agents would feel differently, this is my opinion:

* Thank you notes or emails for form query rejections are absolutely irritating.

* Thank you for simple, kind, personalized rejections at any stage are not necessary, and a bit of a time-waster.

* Thank you for a nice rejection on a full (where they clearly read the whole thing etc) is OK, but not necessary.

* Thank you for very detailed feedback/notes on a FULL is much appreciated.

I actually really don't want thank yous for ANYTHING besides very detailed feedback and notes. I DO want a response / thank you for that -- not to feed my ego, but rather because I always spend a lot of time on those notes, want them to be useful for you, and I want to make sure you got them.

And I would send the thank you the same method that you got the notes -- ie, if it was an email, it is ok to shoot an email back. If you send a snail mail note, it has to go to the agency, sit around, pass through internville, get forwarded to me, and I will likely have forgotten what it is in reference to by the time I get it.

Susan Littlefield
10-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got home after being out of town. I had no internet access, so I could not come back and clarify my response regarding thank you notes. I realize I was unclear.

I have heard after an agent has requested a partial or a full, but they end up rejecting your work, that a thank you note is appropriate. Not just a general query letter.

If you should get a personalized rejection, that you're SURE is personal because it mentions specific characters or story elements, then a brief thank-you is acceptable.

Wordwrestler, thank you! That makes sense.

I spent a couple of years reading agent blogs religiously, and I agree with DeadlyAccurate -- many agents I saw said that a thank you to a form rejection is just spam in their inbox. Agents often get 500+ queries a week. Assuming they form reject most of them, thanking them doubles the email they have to go through.

Georgina, I will keep that in mind as I start my query process.

* Thank you notes or emails for form query rejections are absolutely irritating.

* Thank you for simple, kind, personalized rejections at any stage are not necessary, and a bit of a time-waster.

* Thank you for a nice rejection on a full (where they clearly read the whole thing etc) is OK, but not necessary.

* Thank you for very detailed feedback/notes on a FULL is much appreciated.

Jennifer, I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad I don't have to go out and buy those thank you notes now. :D

Jamesaritchie
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I queried Agent 1, of the Agent 1 Agency, by name. I received a rejection from a different individual. The rejection is phrased in terms of "we," "our agency," and "our list," and refers to seeking out "another agency."

Would this mean it would be inappropriate to query Agent 2 at the Agent 1 Agency?

Most agencies have one agent for one genre, and if a manuscript arrives addressed to an agent who does not handle that genre, the agent passes it along to the one who does. This means it does no good to query a second agent at the same agency.

Hathor
10-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Most agencies have one agent for one genre, and if a manuscript arrives addressed to an agent who does not handle that genre, the agent passes it along to the one who does. This means it does no good to query a second agent at the same agency.

I'm finding agencies with more than one agent handling my sort of book. (Or potentially handling it :D ) In this case, Agent 1 and Agent 2 both handle the genre.

At a different agency, one agent passed with my query, I queried a second -- and got a request for a full. At another, one passed and a second, whom I then queried, requested my proposal.

But in terms of the agency I was asking about here, I think it best to move on, given it is Agent 1's firm and the rejection was phrased in terms of the agency.