Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mayfield

sleeping the sleep of the sleepless
Registered
Reaction score
There are accreditation programs. I know the camps I went to/worked at were all in CA and they were WAIC accredited (Western Association of Independent Camps). There are standards that have to be met and site visits.

I think that group may be a regional part of the American Camp Association, but I'm not sure. Anyway, accreditation is not mandatory...it is voluntary. Pretty sure camps have to be licensed in their state, though.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
When I went to day camp in NY, it wasn't accredited. It was more along the lines of being the cheapest and closest to where I was. Also, word of mouth helps out a great deal. But...that's just me.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, when I worked at camp (03-06), every so many years the ACA person would come out and check everything out and give us a score. You might be able to find a checklist somewhere. IIRC it's mostly stuff like hygiene and safety and general competency. In Cali, there's no licensing requirements that I know of beyond what a regular business has to have (like have workers comp, insurance, OSHA and whatnot).