Self-pub mention in query

Kemp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently tossed up in my querying process as to whether or not to mention my self-epublished first novel as a credit in a current query. Some query-sources say no, some say maybe, some say yes with large restrictions.

Some say "Self-published" is a dirty word that should be entirely hidden, disavowed, and renounced lest it tarnish what may be a potential career.

Now, I wouldn't consider it under most circumstances, but the book has received over 15,000 downloads from various sources (Amazon, Smashwords), and I don't even have figures from places like iBooks. A large amount of these have been free, so obviously that doesn't mean actual sales figures or even necessarily a 10% readership on those numbers.

As it sits, my query letter has the simple phrase "My first novel, xxxxx, has garnered more than 15,000 downloads on the ebook market," which is an entirely true statement and the only professional credit besides a mention of editorial and journalistic work. (I haven't sent it out with the quoted phrase included as of yet). The statement does omit the "free" and "self-published" bits, but I remain tossed up as to whether or not that makes a difference.

It initially looks good; to me, that looks like a nice number. A brief curiosity would reveal both the self-pubbed and free (at various stages) status, which could potentially sour my image, as being not completely forthright, to the prospective agent. This would be bad.

On the other hand, I almost doubt that many agents would spend some of their query-blitzing time following up on such matters. Even in following up, that gets the one agent to spend those extra milliseconds considering my query. Or, on the other other hand, maybe such a thing takes them away from the query and my proposed work, focusing only upon what an obvious opportunistic, arrogant little indy pubber I am. This would also be bad.

So I remain mildly conflicted. There are a lot of angles to consider.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
1st question - did you get paid for the downloads? What did you charge?

If you made a decent return, it might be worth mentioning to include a $ figure.

If not - DON'T MENTION IT!
The agent will probably Google you anyway and will see your name and book status when he does.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
If you must mention it, I'd be completely upfront about it, as in--"I have self-published a previous novel...blah, blah, blah" Though be aware that it very possibly won't help you and may hurt.

Any agent work his or her salt will read your quoted bit and immediately expect that it was self-pubbed. Otherwise, why not mention the publishers?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently tossed up in my querying process as to whether or not to mention my self-epublished first novel as a credit in a current query. Some query-sources say no, some say maybe, some say yes with large restrictions.

Some say "Self-published" is a dirty word that should be entirely hidden, disavowed, and renounced lest it tarnish what may be a potential career. Actually no one says that. If you succeed at self-publishing, then mention it. If you don't succeed, don't mention it.

Now, I wouldn't consider it under most circumstances, but the book has received over 15,000 downloads from various sources (Amazon, Smashwords), and I don't even have figures from places like iBooks. A large amount of these have been free, so obviously that doesn't mean actual sales figures or even necessarily a 10% readership on those numbers. Free downloads are just like anything free. Meaningless and mostly destined for the trash.

As it sits, my query letter has the simple phrase "My first novel, xxxxx, has garnered more than 15,000 downloads on the ebook market," which is an entirely true statement and the only professional credit besides a mention of editorial and journalistic work. (I haven't sent it out with the quoted phrase included as of yet). The statement does omit the "free" and "self-published" bits, but I remain tossed up as to whether or not that makes a difference. If I was an agent and found this out about someone afterward, I'd be pissed.

It initially looks good; to me, that looks like a nice number. A brief curiosity would reveal both the self-pubbed and free (at various stages) status, which could potentially sour my image, as being not completely forthright, to the prospective agent. This would be bad. You think? And remember at some point this all has to come out. Marketing of a second book depends to some extend on the first one.

On the other hand, I almost doubt that many agents would spend some of their query-blitzing time following up on such matters. Even in following up, that gets the one agent to spend those extra milliseconds considering my query. Or, on the other other hand, maybe such a thing takes them away from the query and my proposed work, focusing only upon what an obvious opportunistic, arrogant little indy pubber I am. This would also be bad. Debut novels are a big deal. Second novels are an even bigger deal, in a different way. Yeah, at some point this will come out.

So I remain mildly conflicted. There are a lot of angles to consider.

I won't mention it in the query. I would mention it when I'm signing with the agent.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
This is what agent Jeff Gerecke says:

I've been saying it for years, but it's even more true now. Self-publishing used to be bad, but now it's different, because publishers are, on the whole, so undermanned that it is essential that authors have a strong DIY personality and find a way to market their books themselves—outside the business—to build up a platform that publishing people will recognize.

Monlette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a don't. If your selfpub is successful enough, the agents will be calling you.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I probably wouldn't mention it, but it depends on the agent. If you do mention it, ABSOLUTELY keep in that it's self-published. Most agents who are remotely interested in your work will Google it, and finding it out that way is a lot worse than if you mention it in the query. Just be up-front about it. A lot of agents out there don't really care if you've self-published before, as long as you're not deluded about what it actually entails.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
based on the reviews, I probably would suggest not mentioning it. people love the story but found the ending confusing and then there's one that complains about too many typos...

I think if asked by an agent after they express interest (and will be looking you up anyway) mention number of downloads and website hits or followers if they're asking you about your ability to be a part of your own marketing.

(no experience, just my outsider perspective)

ANinfinity

I'm plenty of fish in the sea
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't ever mention a self published book unless it is a major success rivaling that of traditionally published book. Otherwise, you will hurt yourself more than help.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In general, when querying US agents for representation in the US commercial print publishing industry, self-published works only give you a leg up if you have sold (not given away, but sold) as many copies of one title as would be in a small commercial print run. The magic number here seems currently to be 5,000.

There are some exceptions--if your book addresses a niche market for which commercial print runs tend to be smaller, self-publishing sales of 2,000 or more show the same level of commercial potential as 5,000 would for fiction or broad-interest non-fiction, self-help, etc.

The idea here is that you have only demonstrated through your self-publishing that you can make money for a commercial publisher if you have sold a number of copies of one title that compares to a successful small print run for that book's specific genre. And yes, this isn't really fair, because it's so much harder for authors to sell self-published titles than it is for publishers with staffs and distribution networks in place to sell their titles, but nobody said publishing was fair.

On the other hand, having a book that you wrote and gave away and a lot of people downloaded for free is a neat thing to mention, perhaps, in a query. It certainly shows your commitment to getting your work out there to readers! It's just not a publishing credential per se.

Aldrey

Writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
When I mentioned in my query that I had self-published a novel, I got more bites. One agent asked how many I had sold, and when I told him I had sold a little over 4k copies, he asked me to send a full copy of my new novel.

Last edited:

Aldrey

Writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, SusanL. It was a lot of hustle. Downside is that the book wasn't written well. I didn't have a clue and it's riddled with amateur mistakes and the pros could see I was clueless. That's why no agent or publisher bit. I queried over 100. The booked worked because it was raw with emotion and the MC was so lovable. The readers connected to the MC and her crazy family. It's a coming of age/family saga. I had strangers calling me and crying about certain things that happened and then they would call full of joy about suff. It ran the emotional gamut. Bookclubs really took to the book and word spread.

My most recent WIP was a standalone sequel to the self-published novel. Readers wanted a sequel. I attempted one. After one month, I had an 80k-word first draft. I spent months revising. After almost 400 queries, (there were some partial and full requests in there,) and no takers, I posted on AW. A member read it from cover-to-cover. It was a hot mess and not salvageable. I was ready to quit writing. However, I realized I am a writer and I can't quit. I just need to learn the craft. So I have a new WIP and I am learning how to write. The mechanics, etc. I am reading and studying Uncle Jim's thread, I am currently reading Stephen King on Writing, and I have other books on my nightstand waiting to be read and studied. I post on AW, I critique, and I read other comments. I am learning a lot. I am also working on the outline and bios for my new WIP. Next year I plan to take a class at UCLA. My new WIP should be ready by the end of next year to submit to this class.

The good thing is that I have a small following and I would love to be able to present them with a published book. I want to have a book good enough to be published by a real publishing house.

Last edited: