PDA

View Full Version : I know this shouldn't bother me so much, but it does...

artemis31386
10-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Another celebrity turned author.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319922/Hilary-Duff-turns-author-debuts-new-novel.html

I'm sorry but this irks me to no end. I'm sure her co-author is probably a very talented writer, but why is it that celebs who decide they want to be authors get to jump to the front of the line?

I mean, it kind of feels cheap that just because she slaps her name on something she gets to jump ahead of authors who have struggled to get to where they are today (NYT Bestsellers included)?

Invincibility
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow, that article. Why does it matter what she was wearing? I never see that much detail go into descriptions of male celebs' outfits. It's not like she was wearing anything outlandish or Lady Gaga-ish.

That aside, it sort of bugs me too. And just how much of the book is hers and how much is the co-author's?

Mr Flibble
10-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah it's annoying.

But even the Daily Fail is rather tongue in cheek about it:

Sure to rapidly become a classic of our times and join the esteemed ranks of literary greats such as War And Peace, Moby Dick and Ulysses,

As for what she's wearing - apparently that 's important to some women who read about celebs, and papers write what they think people want to read. And what would they really say about a guy? 'He wore a suit'. lol.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319922/Hilary-Duff-turns-author-debuts-new-novel.html#ixzz12EBAswmY)

Wayne K
10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
The reason she cuts the line is because she sells her own books. Its that way in any sales job. The person that sells gets preference.

I like that she's open about the fact she has a co author--most would get a ghost writer and say they wrote it.

And, she's not Snooki :D

Wayne K
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah it's annoying.

But even the Daily Fail is rather tongue in cheek about it:

As for what she's wearing - apparently that 's important to some women who read about celebs, and papers write what they think people want to read. And what would they really say about a guy? 'He wore a suit'. lol.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319922/Hilary-Duff-turns-author-debuts-new-novel.html#ixzz12EBAswmY)

Wait'll they get a load of me :D

czjaba
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Hmmm...I wonder why the 'co-author' wasn't present at the signing.

gothicangel
10-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I suspect that 'co-author' is code for 'ghostwriter'.

I used to get wound up about this kind of thing. Now I've seen it more than I care to admit and respond with: 'meh.'

Rebekkamaria
10-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't care. The more people want to read books the better. :)

Clair Dickson
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Publishing is a business. If I could guarantee sales like certain celeb names could, I'd have an easier shot getting published.

Now, I don't blame the publishers... I blame the readers who clamor to all things celeb and prove to publishers that books with celebs' names on them are sure-shot hot sellers. I wish the general public had higher standards for entertainment, but that's not likely to happen. If folks didn't consume it, there would be less of it out there.

Alpha Echo
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I suspect that 'co-author' is code for 'ghostwriter'.

I used to get wound up about this kind of thing. Now I've seen it more than I care to admit and respond with: 'meh.'

Ditto. I don't know. Not worth it to get upset about. Starlits and rock stars will always publish books with ghost writers. Always have. Life's too short to let it get to you. Just put your head down and keep writing.

Wayne K
10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Hillary Duff doesn't seem like just a pretty face to me. She's acted and sung, and didn't get famous by acting like a bimbo and flashing oopsies for the media.

She seems like the kind that would want to write or dance or sculpt.

I'll judge slowly with her

Wayne K
10-13-2010, 04:18 PM
After reading this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_Duff), I'm convinced that I'm right. This girl is multi talented

You don't acchieve this kind of success without it

RobJ
10-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I mean, it kind of feels cheap that just because she slaps her name on something she gets to jump ahead of authors who have struggled to get to where they are today (NYT Bestsellers included)?
What makes you think she hasn't struggled to get to where she is today? She's an established singer and actress, and that makes her interesting enough for someone to consider publishing a novel with her name on. If you think you can establish yourself as a singer and actress go right ahead, it could open publishing doors for you, too. Then again, you might find it a bit of a ... struggle.

CaroGirl
10-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I live in the Doesn't Bother Me camp. If I were famous for something else and could sell my novel because of it, I would. It's called a platform.

shaldna
10-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Here ya go, this should make you all feel better:

http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity-news/katie-price-paradise-book-signing-tells-13-year-old-have-wet-dreams48594

CaroGirl
10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Here ya go, this should make you all feel better:

http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity-news/katie-price-paradise-book-signing-tells-13-year-old-have-wet-dreams48594
I don't think anyone needs to tell a 13-yo boy to have wet dreams.

Anyone who'd take their boy to a book signing of hers gets what they deserve.

ChronicSelfEditor
10-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm not terribly bothered by it. At least it's not a book about her life like everyone else is "writing". I read the synopsis on Amazon yesterday and it at least sounds appealing.

Christine N.
10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
This one doesn't bother me - there's another article somewhere where she explains that writing really IS hard. She seems pretty humble about it. I'd give it a shot, perhaps, because it sounds like my kind of book. John Lithgow writes some pretty cute picture books, and they are fun. He works at it, though, really and truly.

And Hilary Duff's NOT Snooki. She's not Miley Cyrus, Madonna, or Lindsey Lohan or any of the other attention whores. She seems like a down to earth kind who happens to be famous.

Does not bother me this time.

heza
10-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I have to give her props, being from Houston and all.

But what all this really tells me is that I should get really good at negotiating contracts and then cozy up to a celeb who might want to slap her name on a book.

ladyleeona
10-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm okay with this one, namely because she admits she had help. You know there's a zillion and one celebrity 'authors' out there...they keep the ghostwriting biz going.

Add the fact that she says writing is hard and I'm not inclined to get my feathers ruffled. Only thing that could have impressed me more would have been the addition of the co-author's name on the cover.

Baby steps--the first part is admitting you need(ed) help....

Phaeal
10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Now, I don't blame the publishers... I blame the readers who clamor to all things celeb and prove to publishers that books with celebs' names on them are sure-shot hot sellers. I wish the general public had higher standards for entertainment, but that's not likely to happen. If folks didn't consume it, there would be less of it out there.

Alas, too true. From the synopsis, Elixir sounds like one more girl-meets-supernatural guy-and-discovers-ancient-connection paranormal to me. So it should stimulate the same "Someday My (REALLY Special) Prince Will Come" nerve endings that Twilight played so profitably. Add the celeb author, and the publishers must think they've got a pretty good chance with this one.

It's nice for Duff to mention the "co-author," but at least Patterson puts his co-authors' names on the cover.

Oh well. There was a piccie of Hugh Jackman's biceps to the side of the Duff article, so all was not lost.

shadowpapoose
10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
It makes me laugh but doesn't really bother me. My husband likes to tease me about it, "How do you feel that Justin Bieber is a published author".

Whatever, such is the society we live in :)

Toothpaste
10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
The fascinating thing about watching some of those reality shows is that you actually get to see behind the scenes of these "celebrity" books. You'll see the celebrity explaining to her friend that she has to put together all this stuff for their "co-writer". I even saw a "co-writer" interview one of the celebrities. What's even more interesting is that all the celebs still insist they are the author of the books, because they truly believe they are. I imagine they have no clue how a book is truly put together. That real authors actually do spend all that time writing the actual words.

In any event, like I always say, this matters not. It makes money for the publishers who then can hopefully take a risk on something "real". We aren't competing with celebs except when it comes to review space. Other than that, I'm with the others who say "meh".

Susan Littlefield
10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
I think it's great she's come out with a debut novel. A lot of writers use ghostwriters, or have co-authors. Think of it this way- wouldn't it be cool if a writer turned actor got to star in a movie based on his/her own novel? Just like an actress/singer turned author, there's no reason we can't have an author turned actor.

Which of us is on our way to staring in that movie? :D

Christine N.
10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
They wanted JK Rowling to play the part of Lily Potter (Harry's mother) in the brief places where she appears, and she refused.

But Stephanie Meyers makes a cameo appearance in at least the Twilight movie - not sure about the others.

Stephen King and Stan Lee ALWAYS make little appearances in their movies (Stephen King in the made-for-TV movies).

shaldna
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
It'll be interesting to see how it does. Hopefully it will be judged on it's own merits, and I would really like it to be good.

But the cover puts me off, another black cover with a single colourful object...i'd like to see something new.

wrtaway
10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
It doesn't bother me in the big-picture sense, because I know that it's good for the book biz and all that. BUT...I can't help but think that, personally, I'd feel like a giant a-hole promoting and signing books that I hadn't written.

Now, if celebrities suddenly decided that sculpting was the next big thing, and every hot new star suddenly had their own, personal ghost-sculptor, now THAT would be funny.

WCP
10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Hillary Duff wrote a book? That's pretty cool. I never saw her as the literary type...

dclary
10-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Actors become musicians, pro athletes, politicians, community activists, mothers, businessmen, race car drivers... all the time.

In fact, so does everybody else in the world. We're all always changing our dreams or our goals as we attain them or fail to attain others.

The only difference is people report on what actors do.

Don't let this bother you so much. There are so many other things in the world worth being upset about.

whimsical rabbit
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Absolutely correct. No consumption = no production. Period.

Hillary Duff doesn't seem like just a pretty face to me. She's acted and sung, and didn't get famous by acting like a bimbo and flashing oopsies for the media.

She seems like the kind that would want to write or dance or sculpt.

I'll judge slowly with her

To be honest, I wasn't comparing Hilary Duff to JLo- I guess I should have made that clear. This is why I said I don't know what's her book going to be like, and this is why I said I've read the work of so-called 'authors' that was simply bad. In other words, talent doesn't necessarily come with the title.

What makes you think she hasn't struggled to get to where she is today? She's an established singer and actress, and that makes her interesting enough for someone to consider publishing a novel with her name on. If you think you can establish yourself as a singer and actress go right ahead, it could open publishing doors for you, too. Then again, you might find it a bit of a ... struggle.

Sorry, but I didn't really see the OP disputing the fact that Duff may have struggled to get where she is as an actress or a singer. What does this have to do with this discussion? She may be a good writer, then again she may not be. Time will tell. I agree that we can't condemn every famous person on planet earth for trying their abilities in things other than what they're famous for, but at the same time, you know as well as I do that not everybody 'established' up there has actually made it due to their struggle and hard work (and I'm not talking about Duff, whom I've never seen in a negative light anyway). Plus, how do you know whether the OP hasn't struggled and succeeded in her life as well?

Actors become musicians, pro athletes, politicians, community activists, mothers, businessmen, race car drivers... all the time.

In fact, so does everybody else in the world. We're all always changing our dreams or our goals as we attain them or fail to attain others.

The only difference is people report on what actors do.

Don't let this bother you so much. There are so many other things in the world worth being upset about.

I completely agree with this.

At the end of the day, if this woman writes a better book than other so-called 'authors', I'll be glad to see her writing a second. If only more people turned to writing!

I never bothered with celebs, even the ones who became 'established' for reasons other than their 'struggle'. My objection comes only when those 'celebs' start abusing their influence on teenagers, kids, or simply non-thinking idiots without considering the responsibility they bear. Other than that, meritocracy would be great, but we all know this world is not fair, and greater injustices are imposed to people. Critical thinking and constant self-reflection can help protect us from stupefaction.

And like I said, do the best you can, work hard, never give up, and chances are you'll succeed yourself.

Jamesaritchie
10-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Hillary Duff did have help, but she's a pretty good writer on her own. Most actors are. Not all, but most.

But even if you don't write the book, how is putting your name on the cover worse than putting your name on a brand of perfume? You don't think celebrities actually make the perfume that bears their names, do you?

And any book that sells well is good not only for the business as a whole, but for new writers, as well. Where do you think publishers find the money to give new writers advances/promotion/etc.?

CheyElizabeth
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I've always loved this kid. I think she's adorable and I grew up watching Lizzie McGuire. So I'm happy for her... I'll probably even read the book.

whimsical rabbit
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Hillary Duff did have help, but she's a pretty good writer on her own. Most actors are. Not all, but most.

This is such an encouraging post! I've been to drama school (although I wouldn't really called myself an actress), so I'll do my very best to live up to it! :tongue

Seriously though, yes, I understand how this sort of creativity is inspiring in so many different kinds of art. I'm also taking singing lessons just for the fun of it, and the opportunity to get it all out of my system every once in a while.

You can tell when somebody is a real artist in any case. Better a book than a lipstick or a t-shirt that will cost the same as your dishwasher, and often your fridge too!

RobJ
10-14-2010, 02:43 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319922/Hilary-Duff-turns-author-debuts-new-novel.html

I'm sorry but this irks me to no end. I'm sure her co-author is probably a very talented writer, but why is it that celebs who decide they want to be authors get to jump to the front of the line?

Sorry, but I didn't really see the OP disputing the fact that Duff may have struggled to get where she is as an actress or a singer. What does this have to do with this discussion?
That's okay, you don't need to apologise. I understand that for some people here English is not their first language, and I appreciate you trying. English can be a bugger at times, even for those of us what is good at it.

Karen Junker
10-14-2010, 03:26 AM
I have to say, since I use my real name here, I would hesitate to publicly criticize any publishing decision by any publisher. Editors I've known have been known to Google prospective authors and what we write here comes up in those searches. I wouldn't want to give them any reason to choose not to buy my book.

Susan Littlefield
10-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Karen, you have a great point. I think writers should be supportive of one another.

Margarita Skies
10-14-2010, 07:21 AM
It doesn't bother me. I think that if a celebrity has a story to tell, he or she should write his or her novel. If we non-celebrity people can do it, why can't they? The only thing that bothered me was Snooki trying to get into the hand-holding romance market. What makes her think she can write innocent romance? None of the things she does in her daily life are romance in any way, shape or form. Kissing a total stranger in a hot tub is not romance. That's shamelessness. Maybe if she had gotten into the adult market or erotica, it wouldn't have bothered me either, but writers write about what they've experienced in real life or lived in their mind, like Stephenie Meyer's perfect romance on Twilight with a vampire. She couldn't have lived that in real life because vampires don't exist, much less vampires that sparkle, *clears throat*, but yes, writers can make their fantasies come alive in their stories, too. Why not? As long as they know what audience they're trying to reach exactly depending on what they write.

artemis31386
10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by RobJ http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5413996#post5413996)

Rob,
I wasn't disputing the fact that she may have struggled to get where she is as performer. I have a lot of respect for her because she has accomplished so much. What I was pointing out is that because of the brand recognition of a celebrity name (not necessarily Duff) they have different opportunities than others who have worked a lot longer in the chosen medium.

I appreciate that she admits writing is hard and I in no way begrudge her on her efforts. But--and this may not be the case with her book--I have read some celebrity turned author books that were just god awful (that's not to say there aren't some books by established authors that aren't the same).

I was just saying that it kind of bugs me that some people will buy anything by their favorite celebs.

I hope her book does turn out to be good. I'm sure her co-author and her worked hard on it.

I don't think the point of my original post was clear.

Toothpaste
10-14-2010, 08:39 AM
It doesn't bother me. I think that if a celebrity has a story to tell, he or she should write his or her novel. If we non-celebrity people can do it, why can't they? .

You do realise that most celebrity books aren't actually written by the celebrities themselves, even the novels, right? I still have no problem with it, as I said I don't consider them competition nor taking publishing spots away from "real" authors. But I am shocked just how many people think these celebs write their own stuff. And I can understand the emotional response, watching these celebs talk about being authors, being lauded for having written a book, when they simply haven't.

There are, of course, celebs out there who do write their own books, I won't deny that - some of them are even quite good from what I understand - but they are the exception not the norm.

Penguin
10-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I grew up watching Lizzie McGuire.

Me too :). I'm really curious about her book. Hopefully my library will order it soon.

whimsical rabbit
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
That's okay, you don't need to apologise. I understand that for some people here English is not their first language, and I appreciate you trying. English can be a bugger at times, even for those of us what is good at it.

Thank you dearly both for your intention to insult me, and for the actual insult Rob. Your English is obviously not good enough to give you the ability to converse using proper arguments, and so you choose to offend your fellow writers.

I, on the other hand, currently doing a PhD in CW, find that it's your lack of clarity that's confusing, and not my ability to use the English language. More specifically:

Whether or not I share this view, it is apparent that Artemis is referring to Duff's writing skills, not her skills as an actress or a singer, which is what you accused her of:

Last but not least,I got a secret for you. My actual location is really the West Midlands. The 'location' info here is in Spanish because it's simply one of the five languages I happen to speak, and in that particular phrase, it conveys the very essence of what I want to say better than any other language.

So, resuming:

Clarity: F
Justification of assumptions: F
Argumentation: F
Conduct: F

Sorry Robs. At this stage, we are unable to accept your application. You could very well consider presenting the new series of the 'Weakest Link' though. Your comments are offensive enough to give you some decent numbers. You can also try making some phone call pranks along Russell Brand.

shaldna
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM

And most welders are great dentists.

Sorry, but your sweeping logic baffles me.

heza
10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
And most welders are great dentists.

Dude, my dad is a welder. I so wish he could fix my dental issues on the cheap.

Renee Collins
10-14-2010, 08:29 PM

I snorted at this statement at first, but after thinking about it, I can see the logic.

My sister studied acting in college, and many of the principles of good acting apply to good writing. An actor has to learn about motivation. They learn to craft a back story for their character. And while they don't write the lines, they have to learn to go to an honest place to recite them, avoid cliche/expected emotions, and understand that people are constantly changing "tactics" in conversation to accomplish what they want.

You can see how that could help you as a writer.

Now, to be honest, I've never been wildly impressed with Hillary Duff's acting skills, but . . . I guess that's neither here nor there.

gothicangel
10-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I snorted at this statement at first, but after thinking about it, I can see the logic.

My sister studied acting in college, and many of the principles of good acting apply to good writing. An actor has to learn about motivation. They learn to craft a back story for their character. And while they don't write the lines, they have to learn to go to an honest place to recite them, avoid cliche/expected emotions, and understand that people are constantly changing "tactics" in conversation to accomplish what they want.

You can see how that could help you as a writer.

Now, to be honest, I've never been wildly impressed with Hillary Duff's acting skills, but . . . I guess that's neither here nor there.

My sister studied Theatre and is a fantastic Shakespearan actress. She does write, but with no interest of getting published. She actually turned her back of the stage and is currently studying Scottish History.

RobJ
10-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you dearly
Honestly, you don't need to thank me, there was no intent on my part.

I, on the other hand, currently doing a PhD in CW, find that it's your lack of clarity that's confusing, and not my ability to use the English language.
Then I'm sure the PhD in CW will be of great help to you, and if you study hard it may even reduce your confusion.

Whether or not I share this view, it is apparent that Artemis is referring to Duff's writing skills, not her skills as an actress or a singer, which is what you accused her of:
Actually, I didn't accuse her of that at all, not even in the quote you posted. English is a complex language. Much is implied rather than expressed explicitly. Intuitively, as English speakers we learn to see through the lack of clarity and understand the underlying meaning. If you don't see the same things in the original post that I see, that's fine. It's just a thread in a writing forum. No-one is going to die because of it.

Last but not least,I got a secret for you. My actual location is really the West Midlands.
Nice part of the country. I spent some time there when I was younger. Enjoy the West Midlands, and good luck with your PhD in CW and your writing in general.

whimsical rabbit
10-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Honestly, you don't need to thank me, there was no intent on my part.

Really? You mean there was no conscious effort whatsoever in all that rudeness? So then, you were just being your authentic, unconstrained, spontaneous self when you patronised, undermined, and insulted me just because I dared point out to you what I (naively, and please, do forgive me, oh wise one!) regarded as a fallacy in your argument?

Wow. I'm impressed. :Clap: It must be great being you, Rob.

Then I'm sure the PhD in CW will be of great help to you, and if you study hard it may even reduce your confusion.

PhDs don't 'help' you with linguistic confusions, Rob. In fact, Universities will not really offer you a place unless your use of language meets academic standards. I completely understand you would have no way of knowing that though.

Actually, I didn't accuse her of that at all, not even in the quote you posted. English is a complex language. Much is implied rather than expressed explicitly. Intuitively, as English speakers we learn to see through the lack of clarity and understand the underlying meaning. If you don't see the same things in the original post that I see, that's fine. It's just a thread in a writing forum. No-one is going to die because of it.

Apparently, I saw the same things the OP meant to write. Unless of course the following post is imaginary, and it's only me and my friends the fairies that can actually see it:

Rob,
I wasn't disputing the fact that she may have struggled to get where she is as performer. I have a lot of respect for her because she has accomplished so much. What I was pointing out is that because of the brand recognition of a celebrity name (not necessarily Duff) they have different opportunities than others who have worked a lot longer in the chosen medium.

Which to me reads somewhat similar to:

Sorry, but I didn't really see the OP disputing the fact that Duff may have struggled to get where she is as an actress or a singer. What does this have to do with this discussion?

But then again, what do I know? English is not my first language right? Thankfully, you put me back in my place. As any decent native English-speaker should have done.

Oh- and Rob? Nobody said there were lethal dangers in ambiguously interpreting Artemis's quote. You were just not nice to me, Rob. :e2cry:

Nice part of the country. I spent some time there when I was younger. Enjoy the West Midlands, and good luck with your PhD in CW and your writing in general.

Aw, thank you for your wishes and kind words, Rob. You really are a sweetheart. :e2flowers

CheyElizabeth
10-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Anyone see this (http://thediviningwand.com/2010/10/guest-elise-allen-on-collaboration-celebration-a-summation/)? See, it looks like Hilary and her gigantic wedding ring put in some real work on the novel.

I got to drink them side by side with Hilary Duff as I worked with her on her debut novel, Elixir. That was a process I loved. Once again, I got to experience the electricity of hands-on collaboration. It was like being back with my first writing partner – Hilary and I would sit at our laptops and agonize into the wee hours over manuscript sections that weren’t working… and the heady rush when we finally figured them out was beyond exhilarating. It was also thrilling to work with someone so passionate about the final product. We’d have absurdly deep discussions about whether a sentence should start with “yet” or “but.” We’d laugh at ourselves for doing it, but (yet) at the same time it felt great to know we both cared so much about what ended up on the page.

whimsical rabbit
10-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Actually I just visited her wikipedia page. I have to say I agree with Wayne. She seems to be a bright kid, nothing like all those impossibly marketed, photoshop-relying products with skin-deep talents.

I say let's give her a chance. :)

Rowan
10-15-2010, 02:10 AM
You do realise that most celebrity books aren't actually written by the celebrities themselves, even the novels, right? I still have no problem with it, as I said I don't consider them competition nor taking publishing spots away from "real" authors. But I am shocked just how many people think these celebs write their own stuff. And I can understand the emotional response, watching these celebs talk about being authors, being lauded for having written a book, when they simply haven't.

There are, of course, celebs out there who do write their own books, I won't deny that - some of them are even quite good from what I understand - but they are the exception not the norm.

This... I think this says it all. More power to her--she's cashing in on her fame as an actress/singer. I do find it somewhat annoying though, because had she not been a celebrity and not had help--would she have gotten published? Probably not. :Shrug:
As for "most actors being good writers on their own"? Huh?? I'm not sure I follow that logic. At all. Two vastly different fields...................

Xelebes
10-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Hm, so Mike Comrie's wife is going to become a writer? *shrug*

Phaeal
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
This is what strikes me as absurd. If Elise Allen's coauthorship is such a nonsecret that she can blog about the collaboration, why isn't she credited on the book cover?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Marketing considerations. Won't we silly Objectivists ever learn? Still, when Howard Roark took on Peter Keating as his ghost-architect, they tried to keep the relationship a secret. Dunno. Just seems to me like the sham of Duff as sole credited author is all the shammier for the open acknowledgement that she's not.

Eddyz Aquila
10-16-2010, 04:50 AM
I still do not understand why would anyone want to read what Hilary Duff is writing.

I mean, listen to her songs but I don't find her that much of an interesting character to write home about.

Bookworm0o0
10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Co-author? HA! Try ghost! And speaking of ghosts, celebs keep food on the tables of ghosts, so it's all good. =D

Phaeal
10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Checked out the book in the store. Elise Allen is not on the cover, but is credited as a "with" in small, faint print on the title page. Now I'm even more confused. Maybe the publisher thinks the target market won't read the title page because they will be rushing to the first chapter with its depiction of well-heeled high school seniors trotting unescorted through Europe picking up male models and/or turning down friends of the British royals because they prefer solitary angsting to hook-ups. And the children of US Senators are celebrities in France? I did not know that.

Didn't buy, but hey, that's just me. ;)

shaldna
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Checked out the book in the store. Elise Allen is not on the cover, but is credited as a "with" in small, faint print on the title page. Now I'm even more confused. Maybe the publisher thinks the target market won't read the title page because they will be rushing to the first chapter with its depiction of well-heeled high school seniors trotting unescorted through Europe picking up male models and/or turning down friends of the British royals because they prefer solitary angsting to hook-ups. And the children of US Senators are celebrities in France? I did not know that.

Didn't buy, but hey, that's just me. ;)

I work in government and I couldn't tell you who any US senators are, never mind thier children,. Hell, I couldn't pick out the kids of our own government officials.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I saw this in Borders this past weekend and went, "Huh. Well at least it's not a memoir." She knows her audience, that's for damn sure. Anyways, Hilary Duff does not annoy me. I have one of her CDs. Nothing special, but it's fine for listening to in the car. Unlike many of her teen star counterparts, she seems genuinely sweet, so I'm not going to hold this against her.

Also, to you people quibbling over male stars not having their clothes talked about in interviews: For real?? Is this a Daily Mail thing, or have I been reading the wrong--or right--magazines?

lilyanaalantar
10-22-2010, 04:50 AM
you know i just realized i was bashing her for no reason, thinking she has no talent. maybe she has talent and i don't, so i won't think horribly about her.