I know this shouldn't bother me so much, but it does...

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
Another celebrity turned author.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1319922/Hilary-Duff-turns-author-debuts-new-novel.html

I'm sorry but this irks me to no end. I'm sure her co-author is probably a very talented writer, but why is it that celebs who decide they want to be authors get to jump to the front of the line?

I mean, it kind of feels cheap that just because she slaps her name on something she gets to jump ahead of authors who have struggled to get to where they are today (NYT Bestsellers included)?

Invincibility

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that article. Why does it matter what she was wearing? I never see that much detail go into descriptions of male celebs' outfits. It's not like she was wearing anything outlandish or Lady Gaga-ish.

That aside, it sort of bugs me too. And just how much of the book is hers and how much is the co-author's?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yeah it's annoying.

But even the Daily Fail is rather tongue in cheek about it:
Sure to rapidly become a classic of our times and join the esteemed ranks of literary greats such as War And Peace, Moby Dick and Ulysses,

As for what she's wearing - apparently that 's important to some women who read about celebs, and papers write what they think people want to read. And what would they really say about a guy? 'He wore a suit'. lol.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The reason she cuts the line is because she sells her own books. Its that way in any sales job. The person that sells gets preference.

I like that she's open about the fact she has a co author--most would get a ghost writer and say they wrote it.

And, she's not Snooki :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah it's annoying.

But even the Daily Fail is rather tongue in cheek about it:

As for what she's wearing - apparently that 's important to some women who read about celebs, and papers write what they think people want to read. And what would they really say about a guy? 'He wore a suit'. lol.

Wait'll they get a load of me :D

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that 'co-author' is code for 'ghostwriter'.

I used to get wound up about this kind of thing. Now I've seen it more than I care to admit and respond with: 'meh.'

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care. The more people want to read books the better. :)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Publishing is a business. If I could guarantee sales like certain celeb names could, I'd have an easier shot getting published.

Now, I don't blame the publishers... I blame the readers who clamor to all things celeb and prove to publishers that books with celebs' names on them are sure-shot hot sellers. I wish the general public had higher standards for entertainment, but that's not likely to happen. If folks didn't consume it, there would be less of it out there.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that 'co-author' is code for 'ghostwriter'.

I used to get wound up about this kind of thing. Now I've seen it more than I care to admit and respond with: 'meh.'

Ditto. I don't know. Not worth it to get upset about. Starlits and rock stars will always publish books with ghost writers. Always have. Life's too short to let it get to you. Just put your head down and keep writing.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hillary Duff doesn't seem like just a pretty face to me. She's acted and sung, and didn't get famous by acting like a bimbo and flashing oopsies for the media.

She seems like the kind that would want to write or dance or sculpt.

I'll judge slowly with her

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
After reading this, I'm convinced that I'm right. This girl is multi talented

You don't acchieve this kind of success without it

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I mean, it kind of feels cheap that just because she slaps her name on something she gets to jump ahead of authors who have struggled to get to where they are today (NYT Bestsellers included)?
What makes you think she hasn't struggled to get to where she is today? She's an established singer and actress, and that makes her interesting enough for someone to consider publishing a novel with her name on. If you think you can establish yourself as a singer and actress go right ahead, it could open publishing doors for you, too. Then again, you might find it a bit of a ... struggle.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the Doesn't Bother Me camp. If I were famous for something else and could sell my novel because of it, I would. It's called a platform.

ChronicSelfEditor

F.K.A. NolaBlue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not terribly bothered by it. At least it's not a book about her life like everyone else is "writing". I read the synopsis on Amazon yesterday and it at least sounds appealing.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This one doesn't bother me - there's another article somewhere where she explains that writing really IS hard. She seems pretty humble about it. I'd give it a shot, perhaps, because it sounds like my kind of book. John Lithgow writes some pretty cute picture books, and they are fun. He works at it, though, really and truly.

And Hilary Duff's NOT Snooki. She's not Miley Cyrus, Madonna, or Lindsey Lohan or any of the other attention whores. She seems like a down to earth kind who happens to be famous.

Does not bother me this time.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I have to give her props, being from Houston and all.

But what all this really tells me is that I should get really good at negotiating contracts and then cozy up to a celeb who might want to slap her name on a book.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I'm okay with this one, namely because she admits she had help. You know there's a zillion and one celebrity 'authors' out there...they keep the ghostwriting biz going.

Add the fact that she says writing is hard and I'm not inclined to get my feathers ruffled. Only thing that could have impressed me more would have been the addition of the co-author's name on the cover.

Baby steps--the first part is admitting you need(ed) help....

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I don't blame the publishers... I blame the readers who clamor to all things celeb and prove to publishers that books with celebs' names on them are sure-shot hot sellers. I wish the general public had higher standards for entertainment, but that's not likely to happen. If folks didn't consume it, there would be less of it out there.

Alas, too true. From the synopsis, Elixir sounds like one more girl-meets-supernatural guy-and-discovers-ancient-connection paranormal to me. So it should stimulate the same "Someday My (REALLY Special) Prince Will Come" nerve endings that Twilight played so profitably. Add the celeb author, and the publishers must think they've got a pretty good chance with this one.

It's nice for Duff to mention the "co-author," but at least Patterson puts his co-authors' names on the cover.

Oh well. There was a piccie of Hugh Jackman's biceps to the side of the Duff article, so all was not lost.

shadowpapoose

Registered
Reaction score
It makes me laugh but doesn't really bother me. My husband likes to tease me about it, "How do you feel that Justin Bieber is a published author".

Whatever, such is the society we live in :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The fascinating thing about watching some of those reality shows is that you actually get to see behind the scenes of these "celebrity" books. You'll see the celebrity explaining to her friend that she has to put together all this stuff for their "co-writer". I even saw a "co-writer" interview one of the celebrities. What's even more interesting is that all the celebs still insist they are the author of the books, because they truly believe they are. I imagine they have no clue how a book is truly put together. That real authors actually do spend all that time writing the actual words.

In any event, like I always say, this matters not. It makes money for the publishers who then can hopefully take a risk on something "real". We aren't competing with celebs except when it comes to review space. Other than that, I'm with the others who say "meh".

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think it's great she's come out with a debut novel. A lot of writers use ghostwriters, or have co-authors. Think of it this way- wouldn't it be cool if a writer turned actor got to star in a movie based on his/her own novel? Just like an actress/singer turned author, there's no reason we can't have an author turned actor.

Which of us is on our way to staring in that movie? :D

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
They wanted JK Rowling to play the part of Lily Potter (Harry's mother) in the brief places where she appears, and she refused.

But Stephanie Meyers makes a cameo appearance in at least the Twilight movie - not sure about the others.

Stephen King and Stan Lee ALWAYS make little appearances in their movies (Stephen King in the made-for-TV movies).

Status
Not open for further replies.