PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Motown song?

Vito
10-13-2010, 01:33 AM
When I was a little kid, one of my older sisters had a big collection of 1960s Motown singles and played 'em all the time. So I've listened to most of the early Motown hits, and I definitely have my favorites:

All-time favorite is "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". This song features both the Supremes and the Temptations, with Diana Ross and Eddie Kendrucks trading vocals. Pretty amazing.

Runner-up favorite is "This Old Heart of Mine" by the Isley Brothers. There's something bittersweet about this song that I really like, and the baritone saxophone solo is also very cool.

rhymegirl
10-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Either You Can't Hurry Love or Stop! In the Name of Love.

Maryn
10-13-2010, 02:00 AM
"Lean on Me." Just saying the title means it'll be bouncing around in my skull for a few hours, which is fine by me.

Man, I don't own but one Motown CD. (Aretha--if you're only going to have one, that's the artist, right?) If I could get suggestions, and you all could whisper in Santa's ear how good I've been, maybe I can remedy that.

Maryn, the music of her youth still in her head

Haggis
10-13-2010, 02:07 AM
You can't listen to just one.

Vito
10-13-2010, 03:59 AM
"Lean on Me." Just saying the title means it'll be bouncing around in my skull for a few hours, which is fine by me.

Man, I don't own but one Motown CD. (Aretha--if you're only going to have one, that's the artist, right?) If I could get suggestions, and you all could whisper in Santa's ear how good I've been, maybe I can remedy that.

Aretha Franklin's big hit songs were on Atlantic Records. I'm pretty sure she (and Bill Withers -- "Lean On Me") never recorded for Motown.

Motown is the Temptations, the Supremes, the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc. If you're not sure if an old R&B song is Motown or not, listen for the tambourines -- if you can hear the loud tambourines in the background, it's Motown. :)

backslashbaby
10-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Higher Ground!! Stevie

I Second that Emotion
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Tracks of My Tears
Papa Was a Rolling Stone

I can't remember all the artists, though!

Was Son of A Preacher Man Motown? I really, really love that one.

dolores haze
10-13-2010, 04:39 AM
Only one? Seriously?

OK, then. Heatwave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fnYpwrng) by Martha and the Vandellas

scarletpeaches
10-13-2010, 04:42 AM
This thread made me break out my 3-disc compilation.

Vito
10-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Tracks of My Tears

I can't remember all the artists, though!

Was Son of A Preacher Man Motown? I really, really love that one.

"Tracks of My Tears" -- wow, incredible song. It's by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles. "I Second That Emotion", too.

Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man" wasn't Motown. But a Motown artist might have recorded that song somewhere down the line -- I'm not sure.

Vito
10-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Only one? Seriously?

OK, then. Heatwave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fnYpwrng) by Martha and the Vandellas

Well, I did choose an all-time favorite and a runner-up. You can choose as many as you want! ;)

poetinahat
10-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Dock of the Bay

... that is, out of Motown songs that aren't by James Brown

scarletpeaches
10-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Signed, Sealed, Delivered. No, Tracks of My Tears. No...I'm Still Waiting.

Ah cannae choose!

dolores haze
10-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Well, I did choose an all-time favorite and a runner-up. You can choose as many as you want! ;)

And now I'm gonna be cracktubing for the rest of the evening. And with all the writing stuff I have do to... Thanks, Vito. Thanks a lot. *grin*

BenPanced
10-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, my favorite song by my favorite Motown group, the Supremes.

Lock. Thread.

Vito
10-13-2010, 06:20 AM
cracktubing

:ROFL:

YouTube addiction...I know it well!

Lavern08
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Can't. Choose. Just. One.

Gaaaaaaa...

http://www.real-stress-relief.com/images/anxiety-woman1.jpg

whacko
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't. Choose. Just. One.

Gaaaaaaa...

http://www.real-stress-relief.com/images/anxiety-woman1.jpg

I second that emotion.;)

Seaclusion
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Get Ready, 'cause Here I Come by Rare Earth is my favorite.

But I also really like Superstition by Stevie.

Richard

BenPanced
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I second that emotion.;)
;) I second that emoticon.

brainstorm77
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Midnight Train to Georgia :)

Vito
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Midnight Train to Georgia

Albert Brooks (very badly) sings a few lines of that song in the movie "Broadcast News". Funny scene, great movie! :)

firedrake
10-14-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't think I can choose just one :( but, this would be the one.

I'll be there - The Four Tops (my favorite Motown act)

jilly61
10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Today it's 'The tears of a clown' - tomorrow it'll be something else.

Vito
10-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I'll be there - The Four Tops (my favorite Motown act)

Levi Stubbs' performance on "Reach Out, I'll Be There" is pretty amazing. I once read that Levi was trying to sing like Bob Dylan when he recorded that song. The guys who wrote the song had told Levi to imitate the way Dylan sings on "Like A Rolling Stone". If you listen closely, you can really hear the Dylan influence on Levi's vocals.

jilly61
10-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Today it's 'The tears of a clown' - tomorrow it'll be something else.

See, I've changed my mind already. Now it's Smokey's 'Being with you.'

BardSkye
10-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Dock of the Bay

... that is, out of Motown songs that aren't by James Brown

My quartet recently got assigned this song for a show we're doing. I love the original. The acapella version... not so much.

The arranger added a bright, happy, "here I am" intro completely at odds with the tone of the song, modulated the final chord from a minor to a major, and wrote the body as "square" barbershop - everyone singing every note as a chord.

Had all the appeal of cold pancakes. I contacted the chorus director and said "Uh, how much leeway do we have on the interpretation?"

Between us we ditched the intro and modulation, played with the timing for the harmony parts and will be singing it as close to the original as possible.

Was "Lollipop" Motown? Always been one of my favourites from that time.

Xelebes
10-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Is this limited to Motown Records or any song from the Motown?

If the latter, then it's this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxle7SCLeY)