PDA

View Full Version : 90s Manhattan bars...

whimsical rabbit
10-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Hey guys.

Can you possibly enlighten me as to which Manhattan area was popular in the early 90s for Saturday nights? The kind of place a group of 30-somethings would go to have a drink and a chat? Somewhere that would attract both middle class and money preferably.

Much obliged.

Wayne K
10-11-2010, 02:26 AM
The meat district started getting popular in the mid 90s. It took off later.

Hell's Kitchen started getting a lot of clubs, as did the west 20s near the river.

The Village started to expand into Alphabet City in the 90s. There were always people on Avenue A, but you started seeing them as far as Avenue C

A lot of Manhattanites started moving to Williamsburg, so the bars there became popular, and people from other boroughs started going there

Wayne K
10-11-2010, 02:32 AM
If ya need more rep me so I can find this thread

whimsical rabbit
10-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks for all this.

I got a group of four characters going out in Manhattan. Three of them are middle-class, the other owns a penthouse on Fifth Avenue overlooking Jacky Kennedy's reservoir :D. Let's just call him F.

I don't want them to go to the private clubs F usually goes, but at the same time the place can't be overly rock or experimental, because F. wouldn't go there.

By the way I checked my time-chart again. That's not mid-90s. It's actually taking place in 1991. *goes to edit OP.*

I'm going to make the bar up, name and interior and all, so I'm wondering which the best area for such a gathering would be.

Thanks for helping me out.

Wayne K
10-11-2010, 03:25 AM
The early 90s I spent mostly in gay bars. I had a boyfriend that liked to drink and a girlfriend that didn't...He won :D

mtrenteseau
10-11-2010, 03:25 AM
A private club is an extension of one's home, both in terms of the respect one shows by inviting other people there, but also in the context that if you invite guests to your club you're going to pay for everything.

If F lives on the Upper East Side, he might go to Bemelman's Bar at the Carlyle and see Bobby Short perform at the Cafe Carlyle across the hall.

The Stanhope was a hotel on Fifth Avenue right across from the Met that had a street-level cafe and a popular bar. It's featured several times in early "Sex and the City" episodes.

If you're going to create your own bar, you could have something in Yorkville that started out as a gathering spot for the German and Eastern European immigrants who lived there a hundred years ago, but has turned into a quiet, locals-only type of place. Decent food with a hint of German (bratwurst and sauerkraut on the menu, but everything else is typical burgers-and-chicken-fingers type bar stuff).

whimsical rabbit
10-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks for all your help, guys.

So would it be safe to have them go to a hotel bar around the midtown/ upper east side area?

:)

mtrenteseau
10-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all your help, guys.

So would it be safe to have them go to a hotel bar around the midtown/ upper east side area?

:)

I'd think so. Midtown would get more office workers waiting out rush hour, so it's a varied crowd. I like the Bull and Bear at the Waldorf:

http://www.waldorfnewyork.com/dine-in-style/bars-and-lounges.cfm

There's also the bar at the Algonquin, which has a famous literary past:

http://www.algonquinhotel.com/