What are my rights after e-book publishing...?

Fiona

The Banishing, Released March 2011
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fionasfiction.wordpress.com
If I get my book published as an e-book with a company, will I be able to self-publish the work as a paperback later on down the line?
Or will my book be forever restricted to e-book only?

Any info welcome and appreciated.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The rights granted to the epublisher, and the term of the contract, are specified by the contract. They vary.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I've never been in a position to try anything myself so the following isn't really a very informed opinion, just based on contracts I've seen myself.

Many epublisher take print rights so they can offer a POD copy. Not all, though, and depending on the length of the book you may be able to negotiate it (few epublishers put the shorter novellas to print as they end up being very expensive). Some only take books to print if they make a certain number of sales, so if you don't go into print within the first few years you might be able to negotiate something with the publisher.

Of course you'd have to deal with the fact the manuscript would have been edited by them (at their expense) and you probably wouldn't be able to use their cover.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sign any rights away you are uncomfortable with or want to keep... Never sign an open ended contract. Always specify a time period of the contract and have an out clause...

If you don't understand the wording of the contracts, have an attorney who specializes in literary contracts review any contract before signing.

Fiona

The Banishing, Released March 2011
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fionasfiction.wordpress.com
Once again, thank-you for your help. You've all been great to me! I'm trying to get my head around all the processes and possibilibities - which isn't easy at times!