STINK BUGS

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I hate bugs... and these nasty things have literally taken the area by storm! :rant:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Stink-Bugs-Taking-Area-By-Swarm-103669344.html

Is this an east coast thing or does the west coast have to suffer these smelly bugs too?

Short of sealing up your house, not much you can do to keep them out. Found one in my BR the other night---wouldn't go back to bed until I annihilated the little demon.

So far:
Rowan = 23
Stink bugs = 0

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't like for every one you see there are a hundred more hidden, watching you? :)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't say that... :)

I'm scared of bugs and when I Googled these things I learned they BITE! :( I'm glad I'm not on camera when I come in the back door. It's like a war zone, with the stink bugs mounting a last ditch defense. Or is it an offense since they're trying to get in? ;)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Oregon. I saw one of these little suckers last week outside, and then another one last year. Even with my hatred of bugs, I don't think I can call that a swarm, so I am inclined to say the swarming is an east coast thing.

I think in oregon we get those little watermelon seed bugs (not their scientific name obviously) but they dont bite, stink, or cause any trouble really.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Oregon sounds nice! Unless you have lots of praying mantids. I'm terrified of those. :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My father in law died in Maryland two week ago. When we were up for the services, I had to ask a question that I'm pretty sure has never been posed before:

"Is the Holy Water still holy if there are stink bugs swimming in it?"

It's my understanding that this intense infestation is localized right now, (there are stinkbugs elsewhere) but if they're hardy, who can say for upcoming seasons?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
My father in law died in Maryland two week ago. When we were up for the services, I had to ask a question that I'm pretty sure has never been posed before:

It's my understanding that this intense infestation is localized right now, (there are stinkbugs elsewhere) but if they're hardy, who can say for upcoming seasons?

Maryland's not far from me...

...what was the answer?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe they wanted to be Christened/Baptised? I would guess that the Holy Water would cease to be holy as any bugs would be regarded as a contaminant.

What is a stink bug please?

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Do they really smell terrible when you kill one?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Do they really smell terrible when you kill one?

YES! That is one of their defenses. Nasty little suckers.

Here's a pic: http://www.ent.iastate.edu/images/hemiptera/stinkbug/brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg

Stink bugs, also sometimes referred to as shield bugs, are members of the hemiptera order. They are aptly named because these bugs have small glands located on their thorax that are capable of emitting a malodorous liquid. This ability is believed to be a defensive mechanism they employ against predators and when a stink bug is mishandled, it will in fact defensively release an odor. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-stink-bugs.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-stink-bugs.htm
The name stink bug derives from their tendency to eject a foul-smelling glandular substance when disturbed; in some species the liquid contains cyanide compounds with a rancid almond scent. This is a form of antipredator adaptation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatomidae

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I had no idea your area was having an invasion of them. I only notice them when I have vegetables growing. The little bast@$S sit on the vegetable and suck out the juices. They leave a hard, colorless spot behind. Here in Florida I notice brown and green ones. I never smashed one so I don't know what they smell like. With my phobia, I'd rather be swarmed by stink bugs than roaches, or should I say palmetto bugs. Though in reality, I'd rather not be swarmed by any bugs at all. :D

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea your area was having an invasion of them. I only notice them when I have vegetables growing. The little bast@$S sit on the vegetable and suck out the juices. They leave a hard, colorless spot behind. Here in Florida I notice brown and green ones. I never smashed one so I don't know what they smell like. With my phobia, I'd rather be swarmed by stink bugs than roaches, or should I say palmetto bugs. Though in reality, I'd rather not be swarmed by any bugs at all. :D

One of them got through my defenses. It's in here somewhere...waiting. It'll probably make an appearance after I'm in bed so I can throw the book across the room/fling myself into the wall when the dreaded thing starts buzzing around my head.

I'd rather deal with these v. camel back crickets or praying mantids but like you---don't want any bugs. I'd rather be swarmed by Russell Crowe please! :D

Camel back cricket: http://nationalpestexpertsus.com/mediac/400_0/media/Camelback$20Cricket.jpg
Praying mantis: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pk3jJ8hnWXo/S8_8-993UDI/AAAAAAAADM4/OMzy8I8aDP8/s1600/praying_mantis_india.jpg

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Praying mantises eat stinkbugs.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Praying mantises eat stinkbugs.

OMG...you're right!!! My new pets---if I can get them little collars and leashes!! [still terrified of them--they're demonic little things, eating hummingbirds]

The praying mantis eats a wide variety of insects, including stinkbugs, as well as other small creatures, such as hummingbirds and mice. The mantis is a sight-predator, waiting to ambush whatever bit of prey might come along. It's considered a beneficial insect because many pest and harmful insect species are included in its diet. http://blog.pennlive.com/life/2008/10/praying_mantis_will_eat_any_sm.html

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Before I saw it on the news, I was like what the hell attracts stink bugs to the windows? I couldn't figure out what I was doing differently.

I saw one inside and told my little dog to get it -- I'd never known a stinky stink bug. OMG. Yeah, don't do that.

It smells very chemical to me, and unlike anything I've ever smelled before. I certainly don't have to worry about the poor little dog making that happen on his own!

Don't vaccuum them up, I hear. Unless you have a vaccuum you're going to keep out of the house for a very long while.

Meh, they're slow. That's good.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
OMG...you're right!!! My new pets---if I can get them little collars and leashes!! [still terrified of them--they're demonic little things, eating hummingbirds]

OMG I didn't know they ate hummingbirds. How sick is that! I don't want one of those things around either. Poor bird.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea that praying mantises ate hummingbirds...that is...evil.

I am telling you all, move to Oregon. Hardly no bugs...you get the random spider, but even then they are polite.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Rowan thanks for the info. I think they are the same as they have in parts of Europe - but not, I think, in the UK. They are nasty smelly things - remember them from Italy. Was told NEVER stamp on one. One way of dealing with bugs, so I've been told, is to spray them with hair lacquer - this encases them and they can then be swept up. No idea if it works.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Get the high hold stuff.:tongue

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear---that's an idea! Now I just need to get the 'high hold' stuff! :yessmiley