• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lady Luck Publishing / Black Horse Bookstore

Fiona

The Banishing, Released March 2011
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fionasfiction.wordpress.com
One of the places that has requested a full copy of my novel is Lady Luck Publishing - they have been seeking new horror writers.

http://lyonspublishing.webs.com/

I assume they are new as they state on the Black Horse web site that they are setting up a new web page for Lady Luck's opening when they will begin selling e-books.

I can't find much info on them - does anyone here know anything at all about them, or have you worked with them?

Any help appreciated! :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
"Lady Luck Publishing is a royalty paying online bookstore. This means once your work has been accepted, it will be sold from Lady Luck Publishing. You’ll receive 25% of your electron sales. If you are one of the fortunate editors for this site, you’ll receive 50% of your electron sales."

Um, so the editor get paid twice what the author does? Really?

Fiona

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, that's not good...

What are the "usual" percentage of royalties an author would get?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh, 30-40% of cover would be fairly common. But earnings are royaltys x sales and start up epublishers rarely have much in the way of sales. Nor does this one have the hallmarks of a front runner in the making, in my opinion.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Veinglory has the royalties nailed. Here is a short list of what I would screen an e-book publisher by:

1. Distribution. Do they sell from other than their own site? The answer should be "yes" unless you have good reason to go with a start-up (desperation not being one of them).

2. Audience. Do they have a following? Is theirs a respected brand? Is this audience right for my book? HIGHLY important in this age where idiots can upload anything to Amazon and B&N.

3. No adverse comments in the usual places - this site or Pred & Ed site.

4. Do they offer print copies when asked? (POD).

5. They have a reasonably good graphic artist for their covers, or are we talking amateur hour?

6. Yog's Law. "Money flows to the writer."

Good luck

Kerry

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't we have another thread in which Lady Luck publishing was discussed, and someone associated with LL chimed in?

Fiona

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your help guys. I'll look more into it. I don't want to make any bad decisions but I don't want to pass any chances up. I just want to know as much as possible.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I don't know if the website has been updated since earlier, but the ditor royalties thing appears to be clarified:

What this means is: The work you have actually written that is sold from the online bookstore. Not the work that you edit.

I take that to mean that any editors who also publish their own work with Lady Luck get higher royalties than 'normal authors'. Which makes me wonder if editors are going to get paid for, you know, editing.

Also, courtesy of veinglory's EREC post (sorry if I'm stealing any thunder here), the currently existing and trademarked Lady Luck Publishing do not seem terribly impressed someone else is using their name.

para

Registered
Reaction score
One of the places that has requested a full copy of my novel is Lady Luck Publishing - they have been seeking new horror writers.

http://lyonspublishing.webs.com/

If they're a professional company then why don't they have a proper website and email address? Domain names and webhosting is cheap but they seem to have set up a free website. You've got to wonder about a start up that can't even afford to pay for a website. I can understand ejournals but this company is supposed to be publishing novels.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
The webpages are full of errors and none of the people involved appear to have any professional publishing or editing experience.

Here's a link to a blog run by a newbie writer who details how quickly he got his first three manuscripts accepted for publication. One was accepted by Lady Luck in rough/first draft form.

Between May 26th and July 12th, I managed to get three contracts on three books and write those suckers, too.
I was almost done and came across a Yahoo Groups mailing list, Publishing Trove, announcing a “Pitch Day,” where authors could pitch their work and, hopefully, publishers request copies of their manuscript. I pitched (title redacted) on Wednesday and either late that day, or early the next, I received an email from Victoria Crespi, an editor with Lady Luck Publishing asking for the manuscript.

I emailed back and told her I’d have it to her on Monday, as I wanted to complete it. And I did. A few days later, Victoria sent me an email asking if I would be interested in Lady Luck Publishing contracting it. Would I! Shit, yeah! That, was before the end of May.
By the by, he started writing the manuscripts in April.

One of his other publishers is XOXO, which has its own thread here.

Maybe this group of writers will make something of this venture, but I'd wait and see for at least two years before subbing work to this Lady Luck Publishing, which is not to be confused with the trademarked Lady Luck Publishing mentioned upstream.

~brianm~

staceytg

Registered
Reaction score
I have a contract with them

I have a contract with them and things have been going well. There was a point where no one talked to me for awhile, but the owner cleared things up with that.
The editing has been great. The girl I got- Lori Titus- knows what she is doing. My manuscript is coming out in Late Nov with them. I had some reservations, but things have been going alright. If anyone has any issues or concerns, I would email Donna Lions from the website. She is a really nice person and helpful.

They did close before they opened because of issues with the name and such. I just thought I'd post that here. It's a shame because the editing process was really good and really made my novella better. :/
Stacey

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As I suspect I'm not the only one to miss Stacey's addition to her post: publisher closed before it opened.