PDA

View Full Version : Christian Fantasy Writing Partner

Wintersun
10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I would like to find a fellow Christian Fantasy author as a general writing partner. I'm not looking for a co-author, but just someone with whom to share ideas, writing and marketing tips, some beta reading (if and when it's mutually needed and convenient) and just overall encouragement. If you're interested, please feel free to PM. We could exchange some emails and find out if we're a good fit. Thanks for reading!

Tsiamon
10-14-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm interested in what you mean by 'Christian Fantasy author'. Is this somebody who actually writes fantasy blatantly based on Christian lore (Ala Paradise Lost), or an author with Christian values that writes fantasy work that, although Jesus and God are never strictly mentions, maintains a set of Christian ethics (more like Tolkein)? I'm sorry, I'm not answering your question directly but I'm fascinated by your genre label.

Wintersun
10-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Hi, Tsiamon--I like your screenname. While Tolkien wouldn't be my prime example, what I'm particularly looking for is the type of writer you described in the B part of your post. I.e.: a person who is a Christian, and who may or may not not specifically Christian fantasy. From time to time questions arise (in my mind) about stories I'm working on that could be best answered by a Christian lover of fantasy. Obviously the person wouldn't have to write Christian fantasy themselves in order to offer the type of input I'm looking for.

If that makes sense?

Mr Flibble
10-14-2010, 05:06 AM
This is going to sound odd but:

waht precisely do you mean by 'Christian fantasy'?

Is Christ overt on your story? Or are you just using Christian themes? Because I love, love Tolkien and Narnia et al - and I'm not Christian (I see different symbols/inferments etc, but I love it)

If you are only aiming for Christian readers you will very much limit who you sub to/readership by calling it Christian. If you have the,es you will appeal to a lot more people but it might not be the book you want

Because I will quite happily read something with themes (like I say I see them differently, and hey Christianity doesn't have the monopoly re good v evil) but who is your audience? Only christians, or readers of fantasy who may be interested in the story or ooh look, if you delve there is a Christian message?

Wintersun
10-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the questions, IdiotsRUs. I write a wide range of fantasy. In the beginning, I had secular agents come right out and say, ‘this is too Christian for me’ – while Christian agents said, ‘Whoa – way not Christian enough for our market’.

I’ve gone to even further ends of the spectrum since then, writing two very Christian novels [one Narnia-esque (sans talking animals) and one Historical Fantasy] and two novels that contain virtually no discernible Christian elements. I’m just gearing up to do a truckload of querying.

The reason I’d like a Christian writing partner is primarily to bounce ideas off of during the writing process. However, you sound like you’d be a brilliant beta. I’m not in a position to reciprocate right now on a full length novel, but if (and hopefully when) I get to that place, could I drop you a PM? [For non-reciprocal betaing, the door is always wide open to a good reader. :) ]

ElizaFaith13
10-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Hi Winter,

My YA Fantasy has Christian undertones. I know what you mean, because I struggled with mine for awhile. I'd be glad to buddy up. Sending you a pm.

Kathleenis_His
10-23-2010, 06:00 PM
WINTERSUN, [or anyone else who would like to respond] FIRST OF ALL, MY CAP LOCK IS [MOSTLY] STUCK for the time being, SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME THIS FAUX PAS.

I ACTUALLY FOUND THIS FORUM and board WHEN I TYPED IN 'LOOKING FOR A CHRISTIAN writing PARTNER' INTO A SEARCH ENGINE. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL OR pm me and TELL ME A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF...I AM A MIDDLE-AGED GRANDMA- TYPE PERSON in the north-east US. I'VE WRITTEN ALL MY LIFE, ON AND OFF, MOSTLY FOR MYSELF. I AM ENAMOURED WITH THE ROMANTIC MYSTERY THOUGH THE LATEST THING I'VE WRITTENHAS BEEN....WELL, INVOLVED IN MYSTERY BUT MOSTLY DEALING WITH THE THEME OF TRYING TO FIND WHICH DIRECTION TO GO IN LIFE. I GOT AN A ON IT [IN A COLLEGE COURSE I TOOK A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO] AND AM STILL WORKING ON IT AS THE PROF. SUGGESTED I TURN IT INTO A BOOK. I TRY TO PUT HUMOUR IN WHAT I'M WRITING BUT MOSTLY WANT TO WRITE TO GIVE PEOPLE HOPE AND A BIT OF laughter, and perhaps POINT THEM TOWARD CHRISTIAN FAITH....BUT MY PROBLEM HAS ALWAYS BEEN MAKING DECISIONS, INCLUDING IN MY WRITING, THOUGH I'M GETTING BETTER AT IT IN THE REALM OF WRITING AT LEAST. STILL, I'VE OFTEN FELT I'D LIKE TO HAVE A PARTNER ALSO. SO IF YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE HERE THINKS THEY MIGHT BE INTERESTED PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL: caseyp57@gmail.com
Thanks and God bless. [Keyboard seems to be unstuck now, but I'll leave this message 'as is' just in case I'm pushing my luck!]

Kathy