ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Does it freeze well?

Schu

American ninja writer girl
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could tell you. Mine never makes it long enough to freeze!

I don't see why it shouldn't though, as long as you have good containers.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The consensus on food sites seem to be yes, in small containers they freeze well, then defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Don't let it thaw on the counter or in the microwave, rather let it gradually thaw in the refrigerator and it comes out fine.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I made a batch for my daughter to take back with her to college. I put in lots of garlic and fresh ground dried anchos...mmm. Mine didn't last the day. She packed hers up in ice and was too scared to try freezing it.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've considered this myself since it's best made in a large batch and I'm only cooking for one...

I think it depends on the recipe, primarily the ratio of oil and water based ingredients. Oil and water freeze at different temperatures so you're likely to get a good amount of separation; it will look really weird. And it may not emulsify again when it's thawed. The flavour probably won't change much but the appearance and texture will be different.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wondered how long it can last, if it lasts beyond the first onslaught of hungry munchers. A week in the fridge? A month? When does it get 'old'?

I wouldn't keep it longer than a week because it does go bad, and in a weird way - it ferments.