Switching Point of View (between BOOKS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDesireX

I like tentacles!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninasgooden.com
Have any of you ever read a book series that switched point of view styles? What do you think of this idea?

I'm working on a romance Trilogy. I've already written the first book in third person point of view. Each book is about a different couple. Third person seemed to fit for the first story but for the second I think first would work better, so I'm wondering what you guys think of the idea of the big switch.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
We did that in our Sazi series. Books 1, 2 and 7 are first person, male perspective. Books 3-6 and 8 are third person with each person having a POV. Readers have favorites but those who REALLY like third person love theirs and those who REALLY love first person love theirs and both groups ask for more. So yeah, it can work. But it has to be carefully done. Third POV coming out a first POV has to be especially rich and detailed to ease the reader into the adjustment.

Does that help? :)

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Oh, yeah. The ever popular OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon does this. Book 1 is first person, narrator Claire. Later books include third person POV from up to 4 or 5 other characters, sometimes within a single book.

It can work. It's all in the execution.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Have any of you ever read a book series that switched point of view styles? What do you think of this idea?

Not Romance genre, but Gabaldon changed POV from her first book to the later ones. From First to Third.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
I think I never quite got into the subsequent Outlander series because of the switches in POV. She would have chapters from Claire's first-person POV, and then chapters from her husband's and daughter's, et al, and for me, these frequent transitions were a little jarring. But that may just be me. I like Cathy's suggestion, of doing one POV for an entire book, and then a diff POV for a different entire book. I think that would be a lot easier to get used to, as a reader.

DarkDesireX

I like tentacles!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninasgooden.com
Thanks guys so much! I got a little lost in my writing, (the wonderful vortex of ink) but I think I'm going to give it a try. Have to go in the direction the characters pull me in.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I'm a newbie as well, and write exclusively in first person. (Just can't get into third person for some reason - feels too distant to me.) Anyway, with my first book, I wrote it in first-person, present tense (I know, I know - love it or hate it), and switched back and forth pretty much each chapter between my guy and girl. It worked for that book, but with a second couple in another series entirely, the first book is solely from her perspective and then the next is from his perspective (this series is written in past tense). I can't decide which I like better. But, I do think it is far easier for me as a writer to stay in character when the whole book stays with one person's perspective throughout rather than switching back and forth, but the first book wants what the first book wants. I am encouraged to see that it's done (the frequent switching of perspectives) because that gives me hope that maybe mine won't be too jarring for readers.

Working Spy

Reading is my eye candy!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Norah, I think you've been where I'm apparently going. Did you ever re-read a chapter and decide to totally change from first to third? I have three characters in my book the main is in first and the other two are third and in third I find way to many he/she/her/him etc. distracting to me and I know the story. Any tips on avoiding the above redundancy? Should I reconsider my main character in first to join the other two in third?

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
I love this idea! Did you think of changing the tense yet again for the final book in the trilogy? That might tie it all in together rather than it just being a random change. Plus like Ambri says, constantly switching from first to third in the same book does lessen the experience of reading for me - although if done well, can be brilliant so sorry if I offend anyone!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie as well, and write exclusively in first person. (Just can't get into third person for some reason - feels too distant to me.) Anyway, with my first book, I wrote it in first-person, present tense (I know, I know - love it or hate it), and switched back and forth pretty much each chapter between my guy and girl.

I've written a novel (well, 1.5 novels I guess) in first person present tense too (though all from the same character's POV), and I think it's some of the best writing I ever did. But going back to it after having worked on other novels in different tenses/POV is REALLY challenging. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.