Not open for further replies.

Michael Drakich

A wanderer in the sea of publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeldrakich.wordpress.com
Hi Everyone,

I would like some help with a dilemma before me.

I have received an offer to publish one of my books from a small publisher. Another small publisher requested my MS over a month ago and in my last correspondence with them, they were still reviewing it.

Do I contact the publisher still in the review process and inform them I have another offer pending? I sell real estate for a living and in my business, that is exactly what I would do to get competing offers, but this is not my business.

Do I stall the first offer in hopes of the second coming along?

Your input is greatly appeciated.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would like some help with a dilemma before me.

I have received an offer to publish one of my books from a small publisher. Another small publisher requested my MS over a month ago and in my last correspondence with them, they were still reviewing it.

Do I contact the publisher still in the review process and inform them I have another offer pending? I sell real estate for a living and in my business, that is exactly what I would do to get competing offers, but this is not my business.

Do I stall the first offer in hopes of the second coming along?

Your input is greatly appeciated.

Yes, you contact the publisher who hasn't yet made a decision and inform them that you have a pending offer and ask them to let you know if they are interested in the manuscript by a set deadline (1 week? 2?).

And then, while you are waiting, you thoroughly check out both publishers to make sure either or both are reputable, and to comapre their respective pluses and minuses. Start with preditors & editors and the Beware and Background Check forum here.

And good luck.

~suki

Michael Drakich

A wanderer in the sea of publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeldrakich.wordpress.com
Hi Suki,

I did my checks and both are fine, although one is finer than the other, lol. Unfortunately, its the one I'm still waiting on which has the better track record which is why I am hesitant.

The contract received seems very generic, but I am still sifting through it to be sure

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Give the better company a short time to get back to you. If that time period is less than, say, two weeks, I wouldn't even worry about telling the first company about it.

Publishing is a slow business. Take advantage of that. And a big CONGRATS for getting your novel finished and accepted!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, it's kosher in the publishing world to inform competitors you have an offer. If the second publisher is still interested, set a deadline for their response and hope that a bidding war ensues. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.