• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Crits required for popular science work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been working on a short history of electricity, imaginitively titled Short History of Electricity.

It's not a dry, technical thing, but an attempt to make a difficult subject palatable and humourous.

I've got three chapters so far, each concerning the development of things we take for granted, to wit: the telegraph, the phone and power in the homes. Each chapter is about 10 pages on pdf format. You can either take one or investigate the set!

Obviously I'd like some real experts to tear hell... er, point out inaccuracies in the pages.

But I'd especially like to hear from guys and gals that don't mind wasting, and by wasting I mean investing, an hour in a few pages of turgid prose. And by turgid prose I mean...

Yes there's some technical things, but there's also a bit of history. But each tale is done up like a novel.

I could say it's wonderful, but I'm modest. And it would be a lie.

And if that doesn't grab you, here's the sweetener. You can state the truth of your opinion. If my opus stinks, tell me.

And if that's not sweet enough, I'll even reciprocate by critting any takers' first chapters.

Fingers crossed.

Whacko

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an "ingunear" even though I didn't stay in school long enough to get a degree. Should I PM you an email address?

I think these history-of-science things are great, at whatever level they're at. I recently read "Journey Through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics" which has a good bit of math in it, but it tells just who did what, and how they did it. There's several formulas/infinite series in mathematical tables books to calculate pi, but this book not only tells who did many of these, but how they derived them. Wish I had read it in high school even though it hadn't been published at the time. I might have gone for a math degree in college instead of an EE.

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
You fools... shakes head sagely but Pms anyway.:evil

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
First chapter's sent off. And it's really not as bad as it sounds.

Worse, maybe. But that's your call.

Any other takers?????

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
Still looking for readers.

It's not quite a history of electricity. More a moving romance about inventors and inventions, with a bit of suspense in chapter two and an execution in chapter three. And the last bit's true!

So PM me and I'll send the abridged versions, with all the sex and violence, but with all the scientific theory removed.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.