Am I 'Under Consideration'?

uugeejay

In early May I sent an email query to an agent. He responded (within a hour and a half!), asking for synopsis, three chapters, etc. He acknowledged their receipt and said he would get back to me 'shortly'.

Hearing nothing after two months I sent a follow-up email. No response.

Figuring 'shortly' had passed after four months with no response, in September I resumed sending out queries. One of those agencies has asked to see my novel and 'kindly let us know if your material is on submission to any other agents'.

Is my 'material on submission' with the first agency? How should I handle this with them? Should I tell them another agency is interested? The agent said "shortly", but is four months a reasonable wait for a response on a synopsis and partial? What do I tell the agency expressing interest now?

On the one hand I like the idea that two agencies might want to fight over me. On the other hand, I'd like to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I give up on the first agent, who has a more established reputation in my novel's genre, Christian ficition. If he IS still interested, I don't want to chase him off because we have different interpretations of 'shortly'.

--
Will in Central Texas

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
uugeejay said:
Figuring 'shortly' had passed after four months with no response, in September I resumed sending out queries. One of those agencies has asked to see my novel and 'kindly let us know if your material is on submission to any other agents'.
Tell them you have some partials out, but no one is currently reading the full manuscript. You don't need to tell them the agents' names.

- Victoria

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree with Victoria. You should be truthful, but not putting yourself in a corner. Just say there's some interest and partials out.

p.s. I think four months is a little long for "shortly." What does the submission guideline say? Usually the agent would reply between four weeks to months. I've had agents who responded after 14 months. Then again, none of them had promised me "shortly."

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
uugeejay said:
Figuring 'shortly' had passed after four months with no response, in September I resumed sending out queries.

Keep querying, even after agents have request the MS. Don’t wait on them to read it and reject it, or you will die before you get an agent.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
From my experience, many agents who accept e-mail queries and submissions, don't always respond - ever - if they don't like it. They just blow the writer off. Rude, I agree, but it seems to be a trend with e-mail queries. I think if you want a response, it's best to send via snail mail.

uugeejay

Thanks Victoria, maestrowork, Julie and Valona.

--
Will in Central Texas

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Valona said:
From my experience, many agents who accept e-mail queries and submissions, don't always respond - ever - if they don't like it. They just blow the writer off. Rude, I agree, but it seems to be a trend with e-mail queries. I think if you want a response, it's best to send via snail mail.

I've found that one out. I sent a couple of email queries to a couple agents who stated that they accepted e-queries and just plum didn't respond. I figured after three months with no response at all, their answer was a resounding no.