PDA

View Full Version : Why are Armenians eating lasagna?

robeiae
09-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Seriously.

Rob :)

Unique
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
The cheese.

alleycat
09-22-2005, 09:55 PM
They've never heard of Dr. Atkins there. And there's a world-wide glut of lasagna on the market.

WVWriterGirl
09-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Who could resist? The layers of ooey-gooey cheese of all types and forms, the slow-cooked sauce, the deliciousness of ground beef (or your meat of choice, or the vegetarian style...) - it's like heaven in a pan from your oven. Not to mention the delicate, yet resistant bite of a perfectly cooked lasagne noodle.

I've heard the Italians are a fairly giving people. Thank the good Lord they saw fit to give us this recipie for mana from on high!

Vanessa
09-23-2005, 07:47 AM
'Cause it's some good stuff! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteTrophy.gif

Jaycinth
09-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Why are Americans eating couscous and kebabs?

Why are Russians Drinking coffee?

Why is that lady pounding the wall with her shoe?

Why are we posting instead of working?

What's my name? Why am I here?:Shrug:

paprikapink
09-24-2005, 03:12 AM
In the annual struggle to consume summer's bounty of zucchini at least as fast as the squash can grow, a new approach, out of the mountains of France is sweeping Europe. By thinly slicing the prolific courgette from tip to tip, gardeners, cooks, and diners alike are finding at last a a use for zucchini that doesn't make you gag the fourth time you have to eat it: zucchini lasagne is the answer to this vines' outrageous abundance. Armenian housewife Dara Yosarian first read about the new lasagne on a writers' website. She brought it to a potluck at her local library's acquisitions committee meeting. Yosarian says, "We mostly just eat at these meetings. It's been pretty hard to acquire library books for the past 5 years or so. This lasagne was a huge hit. I was able to use up four monster zukes and then I emailed everyone the recipe."

One of Yosarian's fellow committee members is well-known Armenian blogger Franco Setrakian. After he posted the recipe to his blog, and mentioned that he'd made a super-batch with 8 zukes and frozen it all, Armenian sales of canned tomatoes went up 32% in less than a week. He stated, "It tastes as good, maybe better, than lasagne with pasta, and it uses up all these damned zucchini, and you don't ever get tired of it." Later he reported that traffic to his blog increased so much that his service disconnected him. He also says that if anyone knows a good source for chianti in Armenia, he wants to know about it.

Zonk
09-24-2005, 03:36 AM
Why do cats lick themselves?

:D:D:D

Cabinscribe
09-24-2005, 05:00 AM
Why are Armenians eating lasagna?

Because they ran out of cats?

:Shrug:

WVWriterGirl
09-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. Didn't that say "Why are AMERICANS eating lasagne"? Am I just insane, having hallucinations?

JohnP
09-24-2005, 05:37 AM
This is a marketing ploy to sell more paper products such as napkins.

Unique
09-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. Didn't that say "Why are AMERICANS eating lasagne"? Am I just insane, having hallucinations?

we must both be having the same one...that's what I thought it said...

And is that Armenian blog recipe post bit true? Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.:ROFL:

paprikapink
09-24-2005, 06:37 AM
And is that Armenian blog recipe post bit true? Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.:ROFL:

No, not true. Rob's post just "prompted" me (wink wink nudge nudge) to produce that.

It is true, however, that long thin slices of zucchini make excellent substitutes for the pasta in lasagne.

rhymegirl
09-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Is this a trick question?

Unique
09-24-2005, 07:28 AM

Trust me; they're all trick questions.

threedogpeople
09-24-2005, 09:41 PM
In my family, we eat lasagne because my husband's grandparents were immigrants to the U.S. from Italy. Grandma brought the recipe over with her on the boat. And...

because it tastes GREAT!

Al dente noodles, three kinds of cheese, home made red sauce a/k/a suga, and all covered in a fluffy, tender white cream sauce topping. :Hail: hail to grandma Pic.

Yikes!! Must be time for breakfast, lunch, whatever....

JAlpha
09-24-2005, 10:29 PM

Seriously.

Rob,

Your question reminds me of the WORSE cooking class I have ever taken. The chef started the evening off by telling this Italian cooking class this tasty bit of background information . . . The word "lasagna" is derived from the Greek word "lasanon" meaning chamber pot. Then he began kneeding his hands into a large bowl of ground beef. What was he thinking??????????? EWE!

paprikapink
09-24-2005, 10:34 PM

I'd say so. I took the fact that this is in the

"Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Games"

forum as a leeetle hint.

Tertius
09-26-2005, 04:24 AM
Well, the answer to that, naturally, is "Why Not?"

Sarita
09-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Why are Armenians eating lasagna? Who are you and why do you want to know? Huh? Huh? The Armenians do what ever they please. Let's get that straight, Mr... Mr... Yeah, who are you?

Tertius
09-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Where have all the Armenians gone?
Why are Armenians eating chicken soup and pork pie? Jello isn't even kosher. And after all that, the Mongolians still invade, shying only from the band of Visigoths outside the Roman gates. The Greeks are killing kittens, and the egyptians worship them.(the kittens, not the greeks). Have a nice day? Can you make me? I love you. I'm sooo drunk.

paprikapink
09-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Where have all the Armenians gone?
Why are Armenians eating chicken soup and pork pie? Jello isn't even kosher. And after all that, the Mongolians still invade, shying only from the band of Visigoths outside the Roman gates. The Greeks are killing kittens, and the egyptians worship them.(the kittens, not the greeks). Have a nice day? Can you make me? I love you. I'm sooo drunk.

That seems reasonable.

alleycat
09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
The more important question is...did the Armenians get the free breadsticks?

Tertius
09-27-2005, 02:42 AM
What wine are they having?

TesubCalle
09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
It's a conspiracy! Or more specifically, 'product placement'. Don't believe me? Oh, you will, you doubters! After 'Calvin & Hobbes', 'Blondie', possibly 'Peanuts', ('Rex Morgan, M.D.' for some of you older folks), 'Doonsbury', 'Bizarro' (ha! I that Pirarro guy is hilarious!) - what's the only other Sunday comic you turn to on a regular basis?

It's about a loser and his dog and cat, with the occassional unlucky and oft-victimized spider...

Not sure? You know of which lasagne-obsessed furball I speak; an obese, orange menace!

Otherwise known as 'Garfield'.

One wonders for how long (and how much!) the dark and secretive Administration for the Propagation of Lasagne and Lasagne Products (APOLALP) has been paying Jim Adams to depict his creation devouring the savoury dish. Just picture ground meat, stuffed with cottage cheese, noodles, sometimes spinach, topped with gooey Mozzeralla, baked altogether. You can even smell it, can't you?

How many of you, after your leisurely Sunday morning coffee and breakfast have picked up the funnies and upon reading about Garfield's latest gastronomic conquest, commented to your significant other: "Hey, Honey, howabout lasagne for dinner tonight?"

You see? You've all said: "Yes! Come to think of it, I have!"

And it's now a worldwide epidemic, not just Armenia ('cause I did hear some of you reply 'sí', 'oui' and 'eh?'. Everywhere Garfield can be read, nay, everywhere that Garfield has been propagated, lasagne consumption has been steadily on the rise for two decades. Armenia is just another sad, unfortunate victim of this plague.

I would say more, but I fear APOLALP's agents might be listening in, so before I go,

"BOYCOTT GARF - "

...connection lost.

Jaycinth
09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Baked Ziti.

Tertius
09-29-2005, 12:02 AM
LMAO!!! And Dagwood Bumstead is the cause of this deli sandwich epidemic! Don't forget Hagar the Horrible is responsible for the propagation of Beer!

alleycat
09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
What next? Blame Snoopy for the Red Baron pizza craze? I don't think so, mister.

Jaycinth
09-29-2005, 12:07 AM
LMAO!!! And Dagwood Bumstead is the cause of this deli sandwich epidemic! Don't forget Hagar the Horrible is responsible for the propagation of Beer!

Kinda. My husband refers to snadwiches as 'Dagwoods' ( honey I'm hungy, can you make me a Dagwood that will last til dinner?)

I think Homer Simpson is responsible for the beer craze, though.

Jaycinth
09-29-2005, 12:09 AM
What next? Blame Snoopy for the Red Baron pizza craze? I don't think so, mister.

Ain't Snoopy's fault. If it were, the pizza would be better. Much, MUCH better. That's probably Garfield's fault, too.

Unique
09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Kinda.
I think Homer Simpson is responsible for the beer craze, though.

Oh, no....I was drinking beer before Homer's creator was an idea in his grandfather's mind.....

Lasagna....mmmmm.....you buyin'?

Jaycinth
09-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh, no....I was drinking beer before Homer's creator was an idea in his grandfather's mind.....

Lasagna....mmmmm.....you buyin'?

You've been drinking THAT long? You go girl!! I mean we go, girls. I mean, I could sure use a beer right now, hows 'bout you?

*Nose in air* I don't BUY lasagne, I make lasagne! ( well, I don't make the noodles but I usually make the sauce...you see you start with a tomato plant...)

Unique
09-29-2005, 12:27 AM
*Nose in air* I don't BUY lasagne, I make lasagne! ( well, I don't make the noodles but I usually make the sauce...you see you start with a tomato plant...)

Ok, here's the deal.....I'll buy the beer if you make the lasgna. No problemo....it's in the freezer chillin' right now. If you find any cool Armenians, bring 'em along - (as long as they have something to contribute...k?)

Deal?

paprikapink
09-29-2005, 01:25 AM
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]One wonders for how long (and how much!) the dark and secretive Administration for the Propagation of Lasagne and Lasagne Products (APOLALP) has been paying Jim Adams to depict his creation devouring the savoury dish. Just picture ground meat, stuffed with cottage cheese, noodles, sometimes spinach, topped with gooey Mozzeralla, baked altogether. You can even smell it, can't you?

Careful folks. I smell a rat. Did you read that tantalizing description?

I think this TesubCalle character is in APOLALP's back pocket.

I'm cookin' a crustless quiche tonight.

Unique
09-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Everytime I see that - my brain says, ' ALPOLAP' Alpo lap. <grimace>

I prefer Mighty Dog . . .

Jaycinth
09-29-2005, 07:23 AM
My favorite dog prefers the Alpo.

Stupid Question of the Day:

Why WOULDN'T Armenians eat Lasagne?:Shrug:

ddemetrius456
12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
No foodie can ignore Lasagna. Why won't Americans have it and cherish the grand Italian food

backslashbaby
12-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Let's just stick to pigs, comrade.

mario_c
12-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Why are Americans eating couscous? Uh, I think that's Armenian, I dunno...what the hell kind of food does Armenia produce anyway?
*shrugs and plans holiday homemade monster lasagna*

iLion
01-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Ok, listen... the Armenians are a very, very cunning people. You know that, right? They are cunning and patient. It has long been a secret desire of theirs (one that only Armenians know about) to one day take over Italy. Yes. It's true. So they eat lasagna. And lots of it. They intend to know everything there is to know about these odd pasta people to the east. But first, they must ingest the same foods to become intimately familiar with their culinary ways. They do many things to emulate the Italians so to become somewhat like them! Have you seen how the young Armenian men in the streets all pinch the ladies now? Have you not noticed how Armenian drivers yell and curse and honk at each other? They're becoming Italianish so they can blend in on that fateful day. One day, when all the Italians are napping, the Armenians will mount up an attack and take over all the pasta plants in Italy. It's a devilish plan. They will then be IN Italy, actually seated in restaurants, eating all the Italian's food and pinching the waitresses right in the open - but they'll be taken as funny little Italians and not Armenians - until one day it will be too late.

(Wow. This came out of a bottle of 6% Arbor Mist. Damn good thing I don't drink for real.)

maxmordon
01-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Those aren't Armenians, they are Albanians, you silly goose!

StephanieFox
01-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Armenian lasagna isn't the lasagna known in the rest of the world. It is kinda like Japanese pizza, which is served with corn and mayonnaise, in that if you (you who live anywhere buy Armenia or Japan) would not recognize it as lasagna. But, that's what they call it, so what are you gonna do?

iLion
02-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes, StephanieFox! You, too, are clearly a connoisseur of fine Armenian lasagna! And you undoubtedly also know that in southern Armenia they like to include bananas and horseradish.

StephanieFox
02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Yes, StephanieFox! You, too, are clearly a connoisseur of fine Armenian lasagna! And you undoubtedly also know that in southern Armenia they like to include bananas and horseradish.

Of course that's horseradish root, not prepared horseradish. And it's washed down by horseradish vodka, icy cold and followed by a cucumber juice back.

iLion
02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Ah, yes... and what goes better with Armenian cucumber juice then a good old fashioned bowl of pickled pigs feet with Armeni-Mexi salsa dip, right? Unless, of course, you're really into the expensive stuff and maybe prefer goats eyes on a ritz! Now that's livin'!

Lavern08
02-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Two words: Fig Newtons

Alpha Echo
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Because nobody makes it like momma!