Why are Armenians eating lasagna?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They've never heard of Dr. Atkins there. And there's a world-wide glut of lasagna on the market.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Who could resist? The layers of ooey-gooey cheese of all types and forms, the slow-cooked sauce, the deliciousness of ground beef (or your meat of choice, or the vegetarian style...) - it's like heaven in a pan from your oven. Not to mention the delicate, yet resistant bite of a perfectly cooked lasagne noodle.

I've heard the Italians are a fairly giving people. Thank the good Lord they saw fit to give us this recipie for mana from on high!

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
'Cause it's some good stuff!
EmoteTrophy.gif

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Why are Americans eating couscous and kebabs?

Why are Russians Drinking coffee?

Why is that lady pounding the wall with her shoe?

Why are we posting instead of working?

What's my name? Why am I here?:Shrug:

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
In the annual struggle to consume summer's bounty of zucchini at least as fast as the squash can grow, a new approach, out of the mountains of France is sweeping Europe. By thinly slicing the prolific courgette from tip to tip, gardeners, cooks, and diners alike are finding at last a a use for zucchini that doesn't make you gag the fourth time you have to eat it: zucchini lasagne is the answer to this vines' outrageous abundance. Armenian housewife Dara Yosarian first read about the new lasagne on a writers' website. She brought it to a potluck at her local library's acquisitions committee meeting. Yosarian says, "We mostly just eat at these meetings. It's been pretty hard to acquire library books for the past 5 years or so. This lasagne was a huge hit. I was able to use up four monster zukes and then I emailed everyone the recipe."

One of Yosarian's fellow committee members is well-known Armenian blogger Franco Setrakian. After he posted the recipe to his blog, and mentioned that he'd made a super-batch with 8 zukes and frozen it all, Armenian sales of canned tomatoes went up 32% in less than a week. He stated, "It tastes as good, maybe better, than lasagne with pasta, and it uses up all these damned zucchini, and you don't ever get tired of it." Later he reported that traffic to his blog increased so much that his service disconnected him. He also says that if anyone knows a good source for chianti in Armenia, he wants to know about it.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. Didn't that say "Why are AMERICANS eating lasagne"? Am I just insane, having hallucinations?

JohnP

Please pass the jelly
Registered
Reaction score
This is a marketing ploy to sell more paper products such as napkins.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. Didn't that say "Why are AMERICANS eating lasagne"? Am I just insane, having hallucinations?

we must both be having the same one...that's what I thought it said...

And is that Armenian blog recipe post bit true? Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.:ROFL:

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unique said:
And is that Armenian blog recipe post bit true? Dang. Wish I'd thought of that.:ROFL:

No, not true. Rob's post just "prompted" me (wink wink nudge nudge) to produce that.

It is true, however, that long thin slices of zucchini make excellent substitutes for the pasta in lasagne.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
In my family, we eat lasagne because my husband's grandparents were immigrants to the U.S. from Italy. Grandma brought the recipe over with her on the boat. And...

because it tastes GREAT!

Al dente noodles, three kinds of cheese, home made red sauce a/k/a suga, and all covered in a fluffy, tender white cream sauce topping. :Hail: hail to grandma Pic.

Yikes!! Must be time for breakfast, lunch, whatever....

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
robeiae said:

Seriously.

Rob :)

Rob,

Your question reminds me of the WORSE cooking class I have ever taken. The chef started the evening off by telling this Italian cooking class this tasty bit of background information . . . The word "lasagna" is derived from the Greek word "lasanon" meaning chamber pot. Then he began kneeding his hands into a large bowl of ground beef. What was he thinking??????????? EWE!

Tertius

Bliss-ninny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the answer to that, naturally, is "Why Not?"

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Who are you and why do you want to know? Huh? Huh? The Armenians do what ever they please. Let's get that straight, Mr... Mr... Yeah, who are you?

Tertius

Bliss-ninny
Registered
Reaction score
Where have all the Armenians gone?
Why are Armenians eating chicken soup and pork pie? Jello isn't even kosher. And after all that, the Mongolians still invade, shying only from the band of Visigoths outside the Roman gates. The Greeks are killing kittens, and the egyptians worship them.(the kittens, not the greeks). Have a nice day? Can you make me? I love you. I'm sooo drunk.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tertius said:
Where have all the Armenians gone?
Why are Armenians eating chicken soup and pork pie? Jello isn't even kosher. And after all that, the Mongolians still invade, shying only from the band of Visigoths outside the Roman gates. The Greeks are killing kittens, and the egyptians worship them.(the kittens, not the greeks). Have a nice day? Can you make me? I love you. I'm sooo drunk.

That seems reasonable.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The more important question is...did the Armenians get the free breadsticks?

TesubCalle

Registered
Reaction score
It's a conspiracy! Or more specifically, 'product placement'. Don't believe me? Oh, you will, you doubters! After 'Calvin & Hobbes', 'Blondie', possibly 'Peanuts', ('Rex Morgan, M.D.' for some of you older folks), 'Doonsbury', 'Bizarro' (ha! I that Pirarro guy is hilarious!) - what's the only other Sunday comic you turn to on a regular basis?

It's about a loser and his dog and cat, with the occassional unlucky and oft-victimized spider...

Not sure? You know of which lasagne-obsessed furball I speak; an obese, orange menace!

Otherwise known as 'Garfield'.

One wonders for how long (and how much!) the dark and secretive Administration for the Propagation of Lasagne and Lasagne Products (APOLALP) has been paying Jim Adams to depict his creation devouring the savoury dish. Just picture ground meat, stuffed with cottage cheese, noodles, sometimes spinach, topped with gooey Mozzeralla, baked altogether. You can even smell it, can't you?

How many of you, after your leisurely Sunday morning coffee and breakfast have picked up the funnies and upon reading about Garfield's latest gastronomic conquest, commented to your significant other: "Hey, Honey, howabout lasagne for dinner tonight?"

You see? You've all said: "Yes! Come to think of it, I have!"

And it's now a worldwide epidemic, not just Armenia ('cause I did hear some of you reply 'sí', 'oui' and 'eh?'. Everywhere Garfield can be read, nay, everywhere that Garfield has been propagated, lasagne consumption has been steadily on the rise for two decades. Armenia is just another sad, unfortunate victim of this plague.

I would say more, but I fear APOLALP's agents might be listening in, so before I go,

"BOYCOTT GARF - "

...connection lost.

Last edited: