PDA

View Full Version : I think my neighbors are moving!!!

tiny
10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Jump for joy!!

I know, it's really awful I feel that way but...

We bought this house about a year and a half ago. There have been four tenants in the rental across the street since then. Granted, the gentleman rents to Marines and they sometimes have to move at the drop of a hat.

About four months ago a very young couple - 20 and 19 - moved in with their buddy. Since then we've been going nuts. They partied constantly up until three weeks ago - I'll explain - and though I don't mind people having a good time, I mind the brandishing of guns in a drunk environment and the mental abuse of a young wife. Add to that the consequence that I don't really want my youngest out front listening to this young 'man' talk about the sexual things he does to his wife.

When they moved in they brought a huge hot tube home. It was broken but he thought he could fix it - yes we were on speaking terms until the incident. That hot tub has sat in front of their house for months, upside down, torn to bits, the insulation everywhere, and now it's catching rain water. They have been cited twice and cleaned up a bit, but it's still there. They parked the truck in front of it - I guess that makes it invisible.

Three weeks ago, they had their usual pack of friends over for a party - all guys by the way. From one in the afternoon until ten that night we listened to blaring music and drunken screams/sexual exploits of the renter. At ten, a certain song came on. It was a song played all the time in Iraq while my Hub was there. They all yelled and turned it way up. This hit my hub's last nerve and he walked to the end of the driveway put out his blade hand and yelled shut the fuck up. Two of the young men snapped to, I guess Hub sounded enough like a DI to scare them a bit. I pushed him back into the garage - saving them since I fear a Punisher-like scene - and it's been sort of quiet over there other than passive aggressive yells when the young man is drunk.

Last night, I saw them carrying a bunch of empty boxes into the house and felt like a sunbeam has shone down on me while angels sang.

Is it wrong that I'm pleased they may be moving?

Oh, did I mention the fights? With her sitting in the bed of his truck yelling his name, pounding on the window, and him sitting in the running truck blasting music and revving the engine?

CheyElizabeth
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't understand why the cops aren't called when they have these parties?

Do you live out in the middle of nowhere?

I can't even yell at my Xbox game without someone calling the cops.

And congrats on them moving, I've had bad neighbors too. Hopefully they haven't trashed the house so much that only more bad tenants would want it.

tiny
10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
We live in a fairly quiet neighborhood with a large range of ages. Seemed that most people looked out their windows and shook their heads but didn't do anything. Plus, I really hate bother the police with things like this. We'd spoken to the boys, that quiet lasted for one weekend - while they were gone.

Oh, did I mention their fights have spread down to the next block? My hubs went down to talk to a guy about a Bug and the man asked him about the fighting neighbors. They fight in front of his house now, too. Nice.

Lavern08
10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I hear ya, Tiny. :hi:

Annoying neighbors are a pain in the butt.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seriously considered yelling at the neighbor's kids:

GET OFF MY LAWN AND STOP PULLING THE LEAVES OFF MY JAPANESE MAPLE!!!

(I think they might be moving too) :snoopy:

Jean Marie
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Tiny, that's what the cops are there for. To take care of the trash, meaning, take it out in this instance. You're not bothering them. I know it feels that way, but you're not. The fact your family life is being seriously disturbed is the reason they're there; to help you. You don't want your husband tangling w/ these idiots.

Thank God they're moving. A lot of people, sadly become intimidated by people like this, especially when they're in packs.

Don't feel guilty for feeling grateful that they're moving, at all!

CheyElizabeth
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh, did I mention their fights have spread down to the next block? My hubs went down to talk to a guy about a Bug and the man asked him about the fighting neighbors. They fight in front of his house now, too. Nice.

That's not enough to call the cops?? That's what your tax dollars pay for. I wouldn't put up with one night of partying, fighting, gun pulling idiots. Much less weeks or months.

Chris P
10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I completely relate to you. Having lived in university towns for the last 20 years, "students" is a dirty word. You can judge the quality of a neighborhood based on how many two-story pickup trucks with 40" mud tires are parked in the grass and how many couches are in front lawns with twenty empty beer cans around them. I was rarely happier than when I moved into a neighborhood where I was the youngest one there.

Satori1977
10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Wow, hope they are moving, for your sake.

I would have called the cops though, every damn time. Maybe would have tried talking to the couple first, but eventually, yeah. I wouldn't feel like I was bothering the police. Not only are they bothering you and other neighbors, but they sound dangerous. Shooting a gun while drunk? Abusing his wife (I don't care if it is only verbal).

tiny
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I do have the non-emergency number for the police in my book, just in case. I can't have Hubs hurting anyone. I hope hope hope I'm not just reading in. But lots of empty boxes being moved into the house usually means moving. Plus, he got in trouble on base and was demoted so they may have to move because his duty has changed.

Chris, funny you should mention that. They went and retrieved their body lifted, sadly welded, better not attempt to take it offroad Ford a couple of weeks ago. It has no muffler.

Oh oh, did I mention the hand written on cardboard "bet you won't show me your tits" sign he has taped to his tailgate? Yeah. He's a charmer.

Sorry, I'm just ranting. It kills me they came over to ask if this was a quiet neighborhood when they first moved in. Yes, it was - until you chuckleheads got here.

Snowstorm
10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
It's not a bad thing to feel good when the trash gets taken out, tiny terror! Good riddance. How I handle bad neighbors is talk to them one-on-one of the problem (loud music, yapping dog), and I tell them next time I'll call the police/sheriff. They know danged well I'll be the thorn in THEIR side.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you're getting the right signal that the trash is heading for the curb.

ETA: I know how you feel. In this tiny mountain burg, some trash bought the piece of land across the road. They dug this massive hole and outfitted the whole damn piece for a small trailer park for their family. Four-wheelers, loose dogs, and trailers scare away all the wildlife, stir up dust, put their little kids in danger (they let their little kids run around on the four-wheelers all alone)--then lie to the deputy and make excuses for it. Now I've heard they don't understand "why nobody likes them". The only good thing is they're here during most summer weekends and that's all.

Susie
10-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Hopefully, you'll have peace now, tt. Hope so! Here's :Cake:s to celebrate! :)

tiny
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
You know what, Susie, that's a great idea. I'm baking a cake to celebrate this little ray of hope.

It's such a shame too, because we love our other neighbors. In fact, on the east side of us are two of the nicest people. We watch their dog when they travel. They just got back from a hiking trip and brought Chris and I back a beautiful cow bell from Germany and a rock from Italy with the stipulation that we take it back some day. I though it was so nice.

writerterri
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
It's never a bad thing to feel safe and peaceful again. Hopefully the land lord screens the next tenants or it'll be trouble all over again.

benbradley
10-05-2010, 08:16 PM
What's this dding here? This should be over in the "Goals and Accomplishments" forum! :D

Congratulations!!!

Don't ya wish Hubby had told them to shut the fuck up earlier? He sounds like a helluva man! :)

quickWit
10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
It's never a bad thing to feel safe...

...says the cat brandishing a handgun. I feel safer already.
Happy day, tt. :)

writerterri
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
...says the cat brandishing a handgun. I feel safer already.
Happy day, tt. :)

That's right bunny, Moma's here for you.

Qbynewbie
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Home is supposed to be a place of solace, a place where you can draw up the drawbridge, batten down the shutters and let your cares run away for a while. When neighbors make it impossible to relax at home, life can become miserable. For your sake, I hope they're moving. Soon. :)

tiny
10-05-2010, 11:22 PM
They ARE!!! They're moving moving moving!! Trailer was there when we got home with all their junk in it. MOVING AWAY!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh.

Shadow_Ferret
10-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Yay!

... put out his blade hand ...

A what?

tiny
10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Yay!

A what?

Blade hand is what a drill sergeant puts in your face to help you understand that he is not yelling. He is merely speaking in a voice loud enough so everyone can learn from your mistakes. :D

Yeshanu
10-06-2010, 12:50 AM
We live in a fairly quiet neighborhood with a large range of ages. Seemed that most people looked out their windows and shook their heads but didn't do anything. Plus, I really hate bother the police with things like this. We'd spoken to the boys, that quiet lasted for one weekend - while they were gone.

Let me see--you've said you hate drunken guys waving guns around, the mental (and from what you've described possibly sexual) abuse of a woman, and now the "parties" are spreading, and you hate to "bother" the police?

tt, by all means, bother them if something like this ever happens again. When parties get that out of control, it's time to bring in the big guys. They're terrorizing the whole neighbourhood, and your kids are learning by your inaction that they can get away with it. Take a stand.

(And although I'm glad they're moving away and your particular problem is over, it's going to be someone else's problem very soon. And the poor landlord--the place is probably totaled by now.)

ETA: I don't mean this to sound harsh, tt. It's just that there can be such a thing as "too nice," which you might be in this case. :Hug2:

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Blade hand is what a drill sergeant puts in your face to help you understand that he is not yelling. He is merely speaking in a voice loud enough so everyone can learn from your mistakes. :D

Ah. Must be a Marine thing. ;)

Jean Marie
10-06-2010, 01:15 AM
see, and I thought it meant his knife hand. no, not for carving turkey.

I'm wondering if Tiny's husband will go over and offer to help pack a few boxes. I think I remember where you live. My mom and dad lived in Oceanside, North County. Pendleton's right there and a lot of Marines live nearby. They lived in Fallbrook for a while, too. Lots of Marines there, as well.

I'm just happy that you'll be living in peace and quiet.

tiny
10-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Army. Christopher was a Sergeant in the Army.

They're gone - though they left the hot tub, in pieces. I know it'll be someone else's problem now, but I have enough on my plate at the moment.

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Army.

Army. Marine. *shrugs* I was a squid.

Qbynewbie
10-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Army. Christopher was a Sergeant in the Army.

They're gone - though they left the hot tub, in pieces. I know it'll be someone else's problem now, but I have enough on my plate at the moment.

Congratulations. :)

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Haggis
10-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Army. Marine. *shrugs* I was a squid.
Mmmmm. Calamari.