PDA

View Full Version : Alright, where are the ceramics gurus?

Fenika
10-05-2010, 04:41 AM
My (current) favorite tea mug is whining. Or buzzing. Or something. Whatever it is, it's increasingly noticeable and goes up and down in pitch. And it does it every time I add hot tea.

Is it cracked or something? Abandon ship? I'd hate to have 16 ounces of hot water explode on me... But I'm not tossing my favorite mug.

Also, I may need ideas for good ways to reuse broken tea mugs. Aside from pencil holder and flower vase and such. You know, something useful but not apt to drive me fricken insane from the buzzing!

writerterri
10-05-2010, 04:47 AM
It's cracked or has a hole in it somewhere and the crack has water in it and when you add something hot it squeals like a forced whistle.

But that's only my guess.

Or it's haunted.

writerterri
10-05-2010, 04:49 AM
I have a mug that holds my rubber bands for my hair.

Fenika
10-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Haunted sounds reasonable. If I use it to hold my hair ties, will my brainz become possessed?

Fenika
10-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Speaking of haunted, the interwebz ate one of my posts. I will keep the mug further from the modem.

Silver King
10-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Cassiopeia might know the answer. She crafts tea mugs, very well I should add, and could lead you to solving the mystery.

writerterri
10-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Geeeeeet ouuuuuuut.

Yes, your brains will become possessed. When you add tea to your face your ears will start squeaking.

Fenika
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
But my ears already squeak... .... :eek:

I've made mugs... in pottery class in HS... without those annoying handles. One's on my desk holding my pens. :)

tiny
10-05-2010, 08:00 AM
In my former life I was a studio potter (still am, I'm just taking a break). Odds are your mug has some hairline cracks, probably in the glaze. Handmade stoneware should really be treated with some care to lengthen their life. No dishwashers, no microwaves (especially if there's a large amount of colorants which may make the piece hot).

Not much you can do other than repurpose it so it doesn't give up totally and crack through. I have mugs, vases, bowls, and whatnots everywhere in my house. They hold everything.