Status
Not open for further replies.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I searched the forum and couldn't find this posted anywhere else.

Boyd K. Packer, the president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, made an announcement clarifying that the Mormon church will not be on board with gay marriage.

Here's the video.

Among the statements made, he compares being a homosexual to voting on the gender of a kitten, he states that homosexuality is something that CAN be overcome, and that "we cannot vote against gravity...there are physical and moral laws in place in the world."

Obviously, this is not -- or at least shouldn't be considered -- a reflection of what everyone in the Mormon church believes. There was a movement that helped repeal Proposition 8 in California called Mormons4Marriage.

Thoughts?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The president of the LDS church came out against gay marriage years ago, and asked his members to give money to the campaign for Prop 8. It's not the view of every Mormon, but it is and has been the official view of the church (since the 70s at least), and it seems to be the view of the majority of its members. This news isn't exactly new.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
It's the fact that the church felt they needed to make another declaration of the position that interests me. I think they're feeling some serious pressure.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Oh,shut up.

Not to Timmy,but this dude.

I don't understand this sort of judgmental and quite frankly,obsessive,behavior. These ultra religious types spend all this time in screeching hen sessions worrying about other people and their business. Focus on doing good work and helping others,not worrying about whether two people who love one another want to get married.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Among the statements made, he compares being a homosexual to voting on the gender of a kitten, he states that homosexuality is something that CAN be overcome, and that "we cannot vote against gravity...there are physical and moral laws in place in the world."
We can't vote against gravity, but apparantly we can overcome things that are just as natural?

Wish I could say I was surprised.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Stuff like this depresses me.

Sorry about that. There are a lot of great things happening the LGBT community right now. I actually see this as an indication that the Quorum has been discussing the Mormon church's stance on the issue of marriage. Even if they don't come to the right decision, at least they're not able to just ignore it any more.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Given the LDS' rich history of modifying their religious documents to changing times, I'd think they'd be one of the first Christian franchises to embrace the LBGT community. Still, traditions die hard, especially amongst the religious and self-pious.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Given the LDS' rich history of modifying their religious documents to changing times, I'd think they'd be one of the first Christian franchises to embrace the LBGT community. Still, traditions die hard, especially amongst the religious and self-pious.

Honestly, I don't know much about LDS aside from a friend I had in high school who carried around a wallet-size copy of the "actual depiction" of Christ in her wallet. We didn't stay friends long after I told her I had no idea Christ was so white. Kids say the darnedest things.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what other reforms they've made and what caused those changes.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In its past, LDS church members originally practiced polygamy (but only for like 50 years). The US government put major pressure on them in the late 1800s and they changed their official position to be against polygamy.

They also had a racist policy of excluding black people from religious rites and full participation, with the explanation that dark skin was the mark of Cain. In 1978 they reversed this decision (presumably due to cultural pressure), with the official explanation that the church received a revelation that they should change this policy.

They also stopped performing postmortem Baptisms of Holocaust victims (LDS Church believes that they should baptize all of the unbaptized dead, Mormon or not), but they hadn't really stopped, but then they said they would stop again. This was also because of outside pressure, from Jewish groups.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
In its past, LDS church members originally practiced polygamy (but only for like 50 years). The US government put major pressure on them in the late 1800s and they changed their official position to be against polygamy.

They also had a racist policy of excluding black people from religious rites and full participation, with the explanation that dark skin was the mark of Cain. In 1978 they reversed this decision (presumably due to cultural pressure), with the official explanation that the church received a revelation that they should change this policy.

They also stopped performing postmortem Baptisms of Holocaust victims (LDS Church believes that they should baptize all of the unbaptized dead, Mormon or not), but they hadn't really stopped, but then they said they would stop again. This was also because of outside pressure, from Jewish groups.

Good grief. I thought I had heard it all.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The president of the LDS church came out against gay marriage years ago, and asked his members to give money to the campaign for Prop 8. It's not the view of every Mormon, but it is and has been the official view of the church (since the 70s at least), and it seems to be the view of the majority of its members. This news isn't exactly new.
The church also supported a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. It passed with 65% of the vote. No surprise there, but the language of the statute went farther than most.

No other domestic union, however denominated, may be recognized as a marriage or given the same or substantially equivalent legal effect.

Like many states, Utah has a population divided between the reasonably tolerant Salt Lake urban area, with a vibrant gay community, and the rest of the state, mostly rural, intolerant, and arch conservative.

The SLC area is about 50% LDS, with many of them quite liberal, but there are towns in the southern part of the state where church membership approaches 98%.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is my intention to crush all organized religions that spew bile and hate. I shall not longer be tolerant of the intolerant, whereever they hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.