PDA

View Full Version : Best Film (or TV) Version of Hound of the Baskervilles?

Diana Hignutt
10-04-2010, 11:15 PM
It's my favorite Holmes book. In your mind which is the definitive version? To me, I'm thinking it's between Rathbone and Brett, but I've been wrong before. Nigel Bruce's Watson is a bit too dim for my tastes though. For some reason, I want to get and watch a version, so you good people can decide which one. There's also the Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee version. Quite a few others, as well...

Shadow_Ferret
10-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Get them all.

Calla Lily
10-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Jeremy Brett. No contest.

I love all things Hammer Film, but Brett was unmatched as Holmes.

Shadow_Ferret
10-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I think they all offer something. I grew up with Basil Rathbone and still love his interpretation of the character. I enjoyed Jeremy Brett as Holmes, too. Of course, Peter Cushing is always good. And let's not forget Steward Granger who did an enjoyable adaptation of Hound in 1972. Sorry, I can't just pick one, that's why I said "get them all."

Diana Hignutt
10-04-2010, 11:32 PM
I think they all offer something. I grew up with Basil Rathbone and still love his interpretation of the character. I enjoyed Jeremy Brett as Holmes, too. Of course, Peter Cushing is always good. And let's not forget Steward Granger who did an enjoyable adaptation of Hound in 1972. Sorry, I can't just pick one, that's why I said "get them all."

But, I'll get in trouble if I get them all. I'm only allowed one, and I had to beg to be allowed that (we...um...broke our budget in London and things are still a little tight).

Calla Lily
10-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Diana, check online (imdb, Google video). There's a chance that some of them are there for free.

Shadow_Ferret
10-05-2010, 02:07 AM
The Jeremy Brett one is available for instant viewing on Netflix.

And on Hulu, only "Murder at the Baskervilles" a 1937 version starring Arthur Wontner at Holmes and Ian Flemming at Watson is available. (I know nothing about this version. Maybe I'll watch it tonight.)