• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Problem with tenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please move the thread if I'm wrong.

I have a problem with tenses. I see myself switching from past to present and sometimes to future! When I read back, I usually catch the mistakes, but I miss some. Can someone recommend a writing exercise to get rid of this problem?

Any suggestions, welcome.

Thanks,
Sanyuja

SindbadtheSailor

mirror it on every tear
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

There are a lot of books on tenses. Also, you may study the speech pattern in a novel or any book.

Sindbad

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a number of tutorials on the net. One of them that I've seen is very good; I'm sorry, I can't remember offhand which one it was. Google for them and see which ones look helpful to you.

ac

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat, can you please dig up and see if you can find it again? :eek:

SindbadtheSailor, can you recommend one specific book?

trumancoyote, thats what I am doing right now. But, this tenses problem is not leaving me.

Julie Worth, for me its past, present and future! :(

I did a google before posting this question. All the sites that I found gave me grammar lessons on tenses. I know the grammar details. What I want is some exercise which will test and improve my tenses.

May be I am not doing what is called 'creative googling.' I will try again.

Thanks everyone for replying.

SindbadtheSailor

mirror it on every tear
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sanyuja! :hi:

Yes, I searched for a good book on tenses:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0952280868/202-3378328-8662211

It's Teaching Tenses by Rosemary Aitken. The reviews are commendable with one person saying:

"This book is a comprehensive analysis of the English tenses. Each tense is carefully outlined with examples and uses. There is also a section about learner difficulties for each of them. Tables and timelines are included throughout."

Good luck.

Sindbad.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sanyuja said:
Alleycat, can you please dig up and see if you can find it again? :eek:

I did a google before posting this question. All the sites that I found gave me grammar lessons on tenses. I know the grammar details. What I want is some exercise which will test and improve my tenses.

May be I am not doing what is called 'creative googling.' I will try again.

Thanks everyone for replying.

I couldn't remember the exact turtorial I mentioned, but when I 'googled' for "writing verb tense tutorials" I found a variety of resourses. Here's just a couple:

http://odl.vwv.at/english/odlres/res8/Grammar/grammar.htm#tenses

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/verbs.htm (this one has a quiz)

Also, one of my favorite books on grammar is Essential English Grammar by Philip Gucker (paperback), which does have short exercises on all aspects of grammar. I think the cost of the book is something like $6.00. I like the book because it's complete, concise and relatively easy to understand. It's a handy reference to have around.

Good luck.

ac

Last edited:

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Sindbad and alleycat.

I looked at the links, alleycat. I think they will be useful. I will have a look at the book you mentioned.

Sindbad, thanks for that. I think I will have a look at it too.

- S

Status
Not open for further replies.