Question Please

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'd really like to know before attempting to do this; I don't want to make a wrong move.

I like to show my appreciation to editors because they take time to review my work, and even edit it for publication. In showing my appreciation I have thought of sending editors a thank you card for publishing my piece, and also sending them a Christmas card every year. Would this be the wrong thing to do?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Every year might be a bit much. I definitely send a Christmas card the year they publish me (although you need to be careful to use a generic "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" card, since you have no idea of the editor's religion. Don't presume, even if it's a religious publication.) They'll remember your name that first year.

A gift would depend on the level of publication, IMO. If they bought a book, a half dozen articles or as many stories, then sure -- send away. But getting a gift for one filler piece or short story would probably make them feel uncomfortable. After all, they're only doing their job. In other words, don't try to buy continued contact. It never works.

Good luck!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It's always nice to get a nice mail, but as Cathy says a gift is going too far. A thanks postcard is fine; a Christmas card is way too far unless you've worked with them on a novel or something.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Torgo said:
It's always nice to get a nice mail, but as Cathy says a gift is going too far. A thanks postcard is fine; a Christmas card is way too far unless you've worked with them on a novel or something.

Well, I don't know--Jenna sent our whole office hot cocoa and cookies for Christmas last year. Much, MUCH nicer than the stuff I usually get in the mail at work.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I send both of my publishers a Christmas card every year, and my main editor I send a small gift for the holidays, usually a desk calendar.

I send thank you notes to editors who reject me (on major pieces, like novels) but not holiday cards unless I've met them in person.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cards/gifts

I send Christmas cards to editors/agent, once a relationship has been established. And most of my editors start the ball rolling by sending me Christmas cards first.

But no gifts, unless the person is actually a personal friend outside of the business relationship.

I sure as heck don't send thank you cards when I'm rejected.

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it depend on how much money you made from the place that published you? Are you talking about an editor at a book publishing house? If it was an article that maybe only generated some pocket change then buying them a gift would pretty much negate that fact that you made anything on that piece being published? It could get pricey real quick to do that for everyone that publishes you. And as writers well know, most of us don't make enough to even support ourselves decently.

I think a Christmas card might be okay but stamps add up. And those stamps you would be using for Christmas cards might be better used to send out your next submission.

Mrs75, you seem like a really nice and generous person but you have to think about your bottom line too. Writer's are basically small business owners.

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Are you talking about an editor at a book publishing house?
Actually, both, a book publisher and even editors of magazines that I freelance write for.

Mrs75, you seem like a really nice and generous person but you have to think about your bottom line too.
Thank you. I always try to be generous to everyone. I know editors work just as hard as we do, and that is why I wanted to know if there would be any harm in sending them a Christmas card. The cost of a stamp to show my appreciation doesn't bother me if I've been working with the editor for a while.

Writer's are basically small business owners.
You're right here, afterall, we do pay taxes too. I've always considered those I write for as "clients", and I know in business you should show your appreciation to customers and clients.

Again, thanks to everyone for your replies. I've learned a lot here, and I hope my question may help someone else too.