PDA

View Full Version : Perseus, Son of Zeus vs. Perseus, Son of Poseiden

dclary
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
A double feature at the DVD rental line: Percy Jackson and the Olympians followed by the recent iteration of Clash of the Titans.

For my money, the Percy Jackson movie had a better plot, better acting, better effects, and kept my interest. Clash of the Titans was a bloody mess... another of a recent string of remakes that have gone out of their way... to "REMAKE THE ORIGINAL MOVIE" --- as opposed to "reboots" -- which play the source material over again in a new revision.

Case in point: Chris Nolan's Batman movies are not remakes of the Michael Keaton movies (thank God!). The are new interpretations of the source material.

In such a way, Percy Jackson takes tried and true myths and puts a decidedly hip and modern twist on them, as opposed to Clash of the Titans, that tries merely to repeat what was already done.

willietheshakes
10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Wait - someone liked the Percy Jackson movie?!?!?!?!

dclary
10-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Wait - someone liked the Percy Jackson movie?!?!?!?!

In context.

The book was much better than the movie (although the movie had its moments).

In comparison to Clash of the Titans? FAR superior.

willietheshakes
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
In context.

The book was much better than the movie (although the movie had its moments).

In comparison to Clash of the Titans? FAR superior.

Oh... okay.

The world has righted itself. Somewhat.

We're big fans of the books in our house. BIG fans. Driving down to Disneyland and back listening to the audio fans (24 hours each way). And we were very excited about the movie.

I sat in the theatre wanting to put a gun in my mouth. It may have been the first time my ten year old son used the phrase "Oh, for the love of fuck", though that might have been projection on my part...

dclary
10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Having seen Jake Lloyd single-handedly destroy the greatest movie villain of all time by having to portray him as a 6-year-old, I understand the director's fear of keeping this book with 12-year-olds (even though the Potter franchise seemed to have survived the curse of working with children).

What amazed me about the movie was how much of the book it dumbed down. In context again: it's a book written for 12 year olds. How the fuck much more dumbing did it need, you might ask? Don't. As Willie here will attest, plenty too much.

And yet, even with that... You'll leave Percy Jackson going "Huh, it was ok." You'll leave Clash of the Titans saying "I have never seen an ancient Greek train wreck until today."

Kyla Laufreyson
10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh god. The Percy Jackson movie. A friend and I went to see it, and we were soooo excited, and from the very beginning we were sitting there muttering to each other, "Why did they do that? That's not right, how did that happen..." And so on. The people in the theater were probably so ticked off at us.

What really got us was that they want to do the rest of them, but uhm...did anyone else notice that Percy already looks about 15 in the first movie, when he's not 15 until the last book? What are they going to do about that, hmm?

And at the same time, I really want to see who they would cast as Nico. I love him so much.

dclary
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh god. The Percy Jackson movie. A friend and I went to see it, and we were soooo excited, and from the very beginning we were sitting there muttering to each other, "Why did they do that? That's not right, how did that happen..." And so on. The people in the theater were probably so ticked off at us.

What really got us was that they want to do the rest of them, but uhm...did anyone else notice that Percy already looks about 15 in the first movie, when he's not 15 until the last book? What are they going to do about that, hmm?

And at the same time, I really want to see who they would cast as Nico. I love him so much.

There was a great deal about the film adaptation that screamed "we know we're not going to get any sequels, so we're not going to throw any foreshadowing/setups for future movies in here." -- Like, no Clarisse?

Harry Potter had a lot of this too, which is why the ginny/harry romance seems to jump out of the blue by the time it starts.

And personally? As much as I love him as an actor.. .Pierce Brosnan is the worst centaur ever.