Status
Not open for further replies.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I had put myself on a "notify me when its ready" type email list for B&N's PubIt!. Got an email on the 1st saying is up and running.

Dear Publisher,

PubIt! is now open and ready for you to start selling your eBooks! In no time at all, you can create an account, add your first title, and put your eBooks in front of millions of readers with the world's largest bookseller.

Please note that to complete the PubIt! registration process you will need to have:

• Your U.S. bank account information (routing number and account number)
  • Your U.S. credit card information (credit card number, expiration date, and billing address)
  • Your tax identification information (Social Security Number, ITIN, or Employer Identification Number
It's pretty easy, but if you have questions during the registration process, please email us at [email protected]. We're here for you.

Thanks from the PubIt! Team at Barnes & Noble
It will be interesting to see how it compares to createspace, other than its ebooks and Nook only, no hard copies. I want to check out prices and stuff without registering.

Here is the royalty part:
  1. Pricing and Payment Terms Barnes & Noble may update or alter the Pricing and Payment Terms at any time and changes will be effective and binding on you on the date thirty days from posting, as described in the PubIt! Terms & Conditions.

Publisher will set a List Price for each eBook between $0.99 and $199.99.

Publisher will be paid a royalty off the List Price according to the following terms:
    1. For eBooks with a List Price at or between $2.99 and $9.99
      • 65% of the List Price
    2. For eBooks with a List Price at or below $2.98 or at or greater than $10.00 (but not more than $199.99 and not less than $0.99)
      • 40% of the List Price
    Publisher will, at all times, ensure that the eBook List Price:
    1. Is no greater than the eBook's List Price at any other retailer, website, or sales channel.
    2. Is no greater than the eBook's print edition (if applicable).
    3. Complies with the minimum and maximum pricing policy as stated above.
    Sample royalty calculation:
    1. List Price: $9.99 - Publisher Royalty: $6.49
    2. List Price: $20.00 - Publisher Royalty: $8.00

I should have put this in e-publishing forum... sigh, feel free to move mods.

Last edited:

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. I signed up but haven't gotten my email yet. Since I just got rights back to my backlist, I am glad to hear this is launching. No use paying additional fees through Smashwords/etc. if you don't have too.

Thanks for posting!

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Thanks for moving it CaoPaux!

I haven't done E-publishing yet. So if any one uses PubIt please come back and post and tell us how it compares to the others and if you found it user friendly.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Moderator, I believe this belongs in the self-pub forum. Pubit is not a genuine publisher - they are a service that allows you to upload and sell your e-book. I would like to ensure that we avoid confusion between the two industries.

Respectfully;
Kerry

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ebooks are a format -- no more and no less -- and whether PubIt! is a publisher or a distributor (i.e., B&N is soliciting publishers to upload their existing catalogs), it's more relevant to epublishing than self-publishing.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a question - for those that are published through Amazon's self-pub service, can you turn around and pub the same book through the PubIt/BN service? Or is it a one-or-the-other choice?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean CreateSpace? From their FAQ:

Do I keep the rights to my work?

We offer a non-exclusive agreement, enabling you to take advantage of future publishing and distribution opportunities that may come your way. For more information, please see our Member Agreement.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Ebooks are a format -- no more and no less -- and whether PubIt! is a publisher or a distributor (i.e., B&N is soliciting publishers to upload their existing catalogs), it's more relevant to epublishing than self-publishing.

I will politely disagree. When I envisioned this forum, it was to separate the self-published e-book industry from the professional published e-book industry. Before, everything was more or less lumped under "e-books". The moderator graciously agreed to set this forum aside for discussing the professional side of the industry. E-book formats are not the issue here. The professional publishing industry, and how to break into it, was what I hoped would be addressed here.

I can understand the confusion - change in the e-book industry as a whole is rampant. Still, I prefer to keep this forum focused on genuine publishers and not the many load-and-go services popping up these days.

Of course, the moderators may prefer otherwise, so I won't be commenting further.

Kerry

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It seems people have had a lot of trouble getting access to the PubIt site. Overloaded or just not very good?

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a question - for those that are published through Amazon's self-pub service, can you turn around and pub the same book through the PubIt/BN service? Or is it a one-or-the-other choice?
You can publish through both. It's the best of both worlds, really. A lot of people use amazon, but the b&n ebook format is a universal format read by many different devices and quite frankly, it's a lot easier to hack into whatever format you need. So you're getting much better customer coverage by having your books on both sites. Of course, that means two publishing accounts, two sets of formatting books, etc.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You can publish through both. It's the best of both worlds, really. A lot of people use amazon, but the b&n ebook format is a universal format read by many different devices and quite frankly, it's a lot easier to hack into whatever format you need. So you're getting much better customer coverage by having your books on both sites. Of course, that means two publishing accounts, two sets of formatting books, etc.

You would need two different ISBNs too right?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
That royalty dropoff below 2.98 is interesting. Looks like they're really shooting for the 2.99 to 9.99 range for most books.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate for which forum it should be in when I suggested it should be moved. Obviously I wasn't sure where it was best suited when I started the thread. :Shrug:Just wanted everyone to know it was now open. I guess the mods will leave it or move it where they feel it will get the most views for discussion on the actual process itself.

Last edited:

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible, horrible name... if you don't capitalize the I.

pubit? blagh..

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Pubit is self-publishing, I donlt think anyone suggested otherwise. But self-published ebooks are still ebooks and many people (myself included) have authored both third-party and self-published ebooks.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate for which forum it should be in when I suggested it should be moved. Obviously I wasn't sure where it was best suited when I started the thread. :Shrug:Just wanted everyone to know it was now open. I guess the mods will leave it or move it where they feel it will get the most views for discussion on the actual process itself.

Relax. No feathers ruffled here. Moderator says this is the place, then this is the place. I don't like it then I can go start my own forum (grin).

Kerry

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That is, if the author is using Createspace/PubIt!/Smashwords strictly as a retailer, s/he'd need only one ISBN. But if the ISBN is issued by any of them as the publisher, then the author would need a new ISBN if publishing through a different service.

ETA: Keep in mind, also, that POD and ebook formats would need separate ISBNs, and technically, so does each ebook format, although that is rarely enforced.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone tries this out, please let us know how it goes. I'm not published the traditional way yet, but more and more, I'm considering e-publishing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.