NEW Discussion: Journal v. Digital voice recorder...

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you're just hanging out or running on the treadmill and you get an idea. Do you jot it down in a mini journal/journal or do you talk into one of those newfangled digital voice recorders? Me, I always have a mini journal and pen on me ('cept in the shower, of course).

If neither of these options, what's your thing?

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I have a little notebook I bring everywhere. It's pocket sized. I would use the voice recorder, except most ideas hit in public and it would be...you know, weird.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I have a little notebook I bring everywhere. It's pocket sized. I would use the voice recorder, except most ideas hit in public and it would be...you know, weird.

I love the paper blank mini's. And same here--- I always get ideas on the treadmill but at least I can pretend it's work related if I write it down. ;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm found on a treadmill, it might be best to have the notebook to scrawl "Kill me now" since many people might not understand the voice recorder... :e2tongue:

(PS: I do both, cause I can't write and drive, and oddly, end up transcribing my vm recordings)

RaineeRose

We're moving on...
Registered
Reaction score
I use my cell phone -- either make a memo or send myself an e-mail.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I carry mini notebooks too. I have considered using a digital voice recorder, but I'm afraid that people at work might get offended when I wander a few feet away and say, "Weathered doctor, short, muscular. Quick-witted but sharp-tongued. Recently divorced and mildly bitter. Doesn't think anyone noticed him looking down the scrub top of the newbie. Newbie is 23 and more interested in how her scrubs look than actually working. She's as sharp as doorknob. They'll be hooking up by Thursday."

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Kayleamay and Kelly: this is why I don't use recorders! :)

I've sent myself e-mails on occasion too.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I tried emailing myself in the car, but can't find the send button...

:e2tongue:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I tried emailing myself in the car, but can't find the send button...

:e2tongue:

Yes, that could be a problem. I just keep repeating it until I get to a traffic light and can write it down or send via blackberry (aka: crackberry). :e2tongue:

:yessmiley

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
I grab whatever piece of paper is in sight. I don't recommend this as it can get you trouble, especially when the paper happens to belong to someone else and it happens to have something important already written on it. So, I try to keep a notebook on hand whenever I can.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I grab whatever piece of paper is in sight. I don't recommend this as it can get you trouble, especially when the paper happens to belong to someone else and it happens to have something important already written on it. So, I try to keep a notebook on hand whenever I can.

I can see how that could be a problem but hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do! ;)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded a free program off the net. I figured it might make a nice change to dictate. It didn't work well for me.:tongue

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I use my phone. It has Mobile Word (which syncs with my desktop word.) I love my phone... but mainly because it has Word. The phone feature is not really my thing, ya know, what with all the social stuff and talking...

Though, sometimes I do feel left out since none of the apps out there are designed for my phone... I can get lucky by finding an app that works with Windows Mobile. I'm a technological outcast in the phone department. But at least I have Mobile Word, so I'm good by myself out here.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my inspiration hits in the middle of class....so it's not like I can whip out a VR and start talking to myself, although it would be nice sometimes....I try to write things down as fast as possible but sometimes I can tell I forget things

anne_holly

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a toddler, so I use whatever means I can. I email myself a lot, make a folder on the PC for each new idea, and have a notebook, but as things tend to get frazzled around here I also have a mini tape recorder (from when I was in junior high!) duct taped to the side of the fridge so I can ramble while I make supper. Oh, and I left myself a voice mail on my home phone once, as well.

Any port in the storm, right?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I had a voice recorder, but listening to myself wheeze and talk...well...I spent more time giggling and the idea ended up losing it's value.