PDA

View Full Version : NEW Discussion: Journal v. Digital voice recorder...

Rowan
10-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Let's say you're just hanging out or running on the treadmill and you get an idea. Do you jot it down in a mini journal/journal or do you talk into one of those newfangled digital voice recorders? Me, I always have a mini journal and pen on me ('cept in the shower, of course).

If neither of these options, what's your thing?

Jessianodel
10-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I have a little notebook I bring everywhere. It's pocket sized. I would use the voice recorder, except most ideas hit in public and it would be...you know, weird.

Rowan
10-02-2010, 04:22 AM
I have a little notebook I bring everywhere. It's pocket sized. I would use the voice recorder, except most ideas hit in public and it would be...you know, weird.

I love the paper blank mini's. And same here--- I always get ideas on the treadmill but at least I can pretend it's work related if I write it down. ;)

KellyAssauer
10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
If I'm found on a treadmill, it might be best to have the notebook to scrawl "Kill me now" since many people might not understand the voice recorder... :e2tongue:

(PS: I do both, cause I can't write and drive, and oddly, end up transcribing my vm recordings)

RaineeRose
10-02-2010, 04:39 AM
I use my cell phone -- either make a memo or send myself an e-mail.

kayleamay
10-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I carry mini notebooks too. I have considered using a digital voice recorder, but I'm afraid that people at work might get offended when I wander a few feet away and say, "Weathered doctor, short, muscular. Quick-witted but sharp-tongued. Recently divorced and mildly bitter. Doesn't think anyone noticed him looking down the scrub top of the newbie. Newbie is 23 and more interested in how her scrubs look than actually working. She's as sharp as doorknob. They'll be hooking up by Thursday."

Rowan
10-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Kayleamay and Kelly: this is why I don't use recorders! :)

I've sent myself e-mails on occasion too.

KellyAssauer
10-02-2010, 04:53 AM
I tried emailing myself in the car, but can't find the send button...

:e2tongue:

Rowan
10-02-2010, 05:06 AM
I tried emailing myself in the car, but can't find the send button...

:e2tongue:

Yes, that could be a problem. I just keep repeating it until I get to a traffic light and can write it down or send via blackberry (aka: crackberry). :e2tongue:

:yessmiley

KyraDune
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I grab whatever piece of paper is in sight. I don't recommend this as it can get you trouble, especially when the paper happens to belong to someone else and it happens to have something important already written on it. So, I try to keep a notebook on hand whenever I can.

Rowan
10-03-2010, 04:14 AM
I grab whatever piece of paper is in sight. I don't recommend this as it can get you trouble, especially when the paper happens to belong to someone else and it happens to have something important already written on it. So, I try to keep a notebook on hand whenever I can.

I can see how that could be a problem but hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do! ;)

KyraDune
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I can see how that could be a problem but hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do! ;)

That's what I said, but non writers just don't understand. When inspiration hits any free surface is fair game. :D

Rowan
10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
That's what I said, but non writers just don't understand. When inspiration hits any free surface is fair game. :D

Even toilet paper and your neighbor's arm! :yessmiley

brainstorm77
10-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I downloaded a free program off the net. I figured it might make a nice change to dictate. It didn't work well for me.:tongue

Clair Dickson
10-05-2010, 03:32 AM
I use my phone. It has Mobile Word (which syncs with my desktop word.) I love my phone... but mainly because it has Word. The phone feature is not really my thing, ya know, what with all the social stuff and talking...

Though, sometimes I do feel left out since none of the apps out there are designed for my phone... I can get lucky by finding an app that works with Windows Mobile. I'm a technological outcast in the phone department. But at least I have Mobile Word, so I'm good by myself out here.

Jessianodel
10-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Most of my inspiration hits in the middle of class....so it's not like I can whip out a VR and start talking to myself, although it would be nice sometimes....I try to write things down as fast as possible but sometimes I can tell I forget things

anne_holly
10-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I've got a toddler, so I use whatever means I can. I email myself a lot, make a folder on the PC for each new idea, and have a notebook, but as things tend to get frazzled around here I also have a mini tape recorder (from when I was in junior high!) duct taped to the side of the fridge so I can ramble while I make supper. Oh, and I left myself a voice mail on my home phone once, as well.

Any port in the storm, right?

Inky
10-10-2010, 07:34 AM
I had a voice recorder, but listening to myself wheeze and talk...well...I spent more time giggling and the idea ended up losing it's value.