Airline security in the 80s

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone describe for me how going through airport securities in the 80s was like? Were there metal detectors? How about those wand things the officers use? The conveyors belts? This is for a national flight.

In fact, could you describe the flight experience in general? How was it different than it is today?

Thanks!

Qbynewbie

New but not a kid anymore :)
Registered
Reaction score
What security? :D

Seriously, I remember no security. Sure, there were rent-a-cops around most airports but I really don't remember anything like "security" as we use that term today.

You could go to Boston's Logan airport, arrive in a cab at 9:55, run through the airport and be on the 10:00 Shuttle to NYC or DC. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

How was it different than today? Let's see:

1. Large jets on most routes. *** No *** small jets -- they didn't exist back then.

2. Most flights were at best half-full. Red-eyes were always really empty. It was always easy to find a row of three empty seats on a red-eye, raise the arms and sleep all the way across the country lying down.

3. Service was cordial, pleasant and meant to be "service". There was nothing emphasized about security at all. Safety was mentioned but the primary purpose of the stewardesses (who were not called flight attendants at the time) was to make the flight pleasant for the passengers. Consequently, most were young, pretty and pleasant.

4. Ticket prices were often higher then, in actual price, than they are now. A cross-country fare that costs $600 today might have cost $800 back then. Figure in the effect of inflation and you can see that air travel, in real dollar terms, was much more expensive back then. That's why they could afford to fly half-empty planes and provide great service.

5. Flights were often bad because weather resources were primitive compared to what we have now. It was not unusual to fly through rather rough weather -- weather that would be circumnavigated today.

6. Meals were better. In first class, meals were much -- much -- better than they are now. On cross-country flights, it wouldn't be unusual to have Lobster Thermidor or some other "deluxe" meal, followed by a warm dessert with liqueurs and ice cream. Wines, champagnes and drinks flowed in first class. Even in coach, the quality of meals back then was quite a bit better than it is today.

7. People dressed to fly. Men were in suits and women in dresses.

8. Schedules were more often missed. Planes were frequently late taking off and arriving back then.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Could someone describe for me how going through airport securities in the 80s was like?

To give you an idea of how much things have changed, sometime in the early 1990s, I was on my way back from Wisconsin to Washington state. A friend who lived in the barracks was picking me up at the airport. I had two connecting flights. My first one was delayed so that I missed the next flight. Delta booked me on two more connecting flights, and everything was timed such that I literally had no time to try to call the barracks to tell her the flight had changed (all three flights suffered delays of mechnical problems, tire problems, or computer problems). She shows up at the airport for the original flight. I'm not there. So she goes to the ticket counter and finds out the flight I was actually on. You couldn't do that today.

Then, there weren't any metal detectors. Family members could walk you right up to the gate and stay with you until your flight took off. They would wait at the door as you emerged from the gate. You got a paper ticket in advance, and the gate person would tear off half of it. As you went on the plane, a stewardess stood in the door and checked the ticket again to make sure you were on the right plane and pointed you to your seat.

In 1983, my family was flying to Chicago. The flight was delayed for inexplicable reasons. The staff were pretty vague about why and kept hedging. After five hours, they finally told us why: They lost the airplane in the airport. The airline was an old one, in the process of dying at the time.

Were there metal detectors? How about those wand things the officers use?

No metal detectors. No wands--those are a newer technology. No officers, either. TSA has only been around since after 911.

The conveyors belts? This is for a national flight.

The baggage conveyor belts have been around forever.

In fact, could you describe the flight experience in general? How was it different than it is today?

I think the biggest difference is that most airports now use special ramps for the passengers to get out the plane. Then, they'd wheel a metal stairway to the door of the plane, and everyone would have to board via it. So we'd all come out, airplane noise buzzing around us and wind whipping, and have to climb this really steep stairway. Some airports still have this, by the way.

The actual flight experience is about the same--uncomfortable, pressurized cabins, etc. A lot of the airline seats seemed to be odd combinations of color, like pink and orange. You could smoke on planes at one point, though I'm not sure when this was banned. Flight attendents also had a weight limit--that was pretty controversial at one point because women were getting fired for gaining five pounds. The uniforms were often very short skirts (remember that pink and orange combo? Yup).

They served peanuts as snacks--no peanut allergy fears then. You got a meal with your flight. They also passed out magazines in plastic covers.

I remember, too, that a flight actually went half full to Hawaii. The airline tried to pass all the passenges to another airline entirely. We trooped through two terminals, carrying all our luggage, only to be told no. Back w went. The two seats next to me were empty on the flight, so I lay down and stretched out (though very bad--they started to descend and changed the pressure. Pain! My ears hurt for days!).

It seems like also that the airlines shut down the restrooms and went to buckle your seatbelt almost an entire half an hour before landing (that's always the time when you have to use the bathroom). Now it seems like it's about 15 minutes before landing.

For research, try looking up Pacific Southwest Airlines. They merged with several other airlines in 1988. There is a surprising amount of information available on the internet for them, including a lot of photos.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Google "history of airport security."

Baggage and passenger screening was made mandatory by 1973. So yes, metal detectors were being used then.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
No metal detectors. No wands--those are a newer technology. No officers, either. TSA has only been around since after 911.

See my post above. Baggage and passenger screening was mandated by the FAA in 1972 and put into practice January, 1973.

Google's timeline search is very helpful for this. You can find references to airport metal detectors well back into the 1970s. Here's a random article about LAX from October 1970:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=767,1937545&dq=airport+metal+detector&hl=en

Quote from the article:

Morton checked the bag and went to the boarding gate where the light flashed on the electronic device used to detect large metal objects on persons who pass by.

Last edited:

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
I used to fly pretty often in the 1980s and I recall absolutely no screening of passengers or bags. It's entirely possible that I've forgotten walking through one of those old-fashioned metal detectors (that look just like a doorway) but there was nothing at all with wands or anything like that. Nothing like there is today. There was absolutely no real security, no matter what Google is turning up.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I walked through metal detectors at LAX Airport in the summer of 1986. Things didn't start getting seriously weird with airport security until the fall of 1990, at least based on what I experienced, but for as long as I've been breathing, there have always been metal detectors at the airport.

Loved ones used to be able to walk you all the way to the boarding gate, hang out with you until it was time to board the plane, and then they could stand and watch the plane take off through the huge plate-glass windows. I recall shopping at the stores inside the airport and watching planes take off from LAX on a day when I had no airline ticket or boarding pass. You can't do this anymore.

Flight attendants used to be really sweet and friendly and there was far more legroom on airplanes in the 1980s. The food was inedible and tasteless.

Edited to add: Airport metal detectors and handheld security wands were definitely in place from 1974 onward, at least in large airports. I've got a bunch of researched articles stashed somewhere on my hard drive. I believe the use of handheld security wands came and went as needed - I definitely wasn't 'wanded' when I passed through LAX in the summer of 1986.

Last edited:

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
Qbynewbie: did you fly out of large urban airports, or small municipal ones?

Just browsing through Google's news archive, there are tons of references to metal detectors in airports in the early 1970s.

Here's a link for news articles from 1970-1974 (as far back as Google's news archive goes):

http://www.google.com/archivesearch...sugg=d&as_ldate=1970&as_hdate=1974&lnav=hist0

As I search back into the depths of pre-history (meaning my early adulthood :D), I do finally remember walking through those very simple metal detectors that were really just a frame of wood essentially. You just walked through them. There was no big process at all.

I flew out of Boston a lot. Flying out of Worcester was even easier, if that was possible.

Memory is a funny thing and we often forget things and substitute our own reality for what really happened. It's possible that I'm doing that here but, truly, there was essentially no security. Anyone could get in and walk right up to the gate to meet people or hug them goodbye.

It was a very different world back then and more civilized.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
The 80's were a loooooonnnng time ago. :)

That said, I think I remember walking through a metal detector. The only time I ever encountered anything like a "wand" was on a trip to the Azores in '85 - they unzipped our carry-on bags and waved a wand over them (I personally suspect it might just have been a piece of wood) - that was also the only place I ever remember getting on/off a jet via a "roll up" metal staircase.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here - back in that era, many of the smaller airports were serviced by prop planes - locally here in SE Connecticut, there was "Pilgrim Airlines" flying Twin Otter aircraft. Most folk referred to them as "White Knuckle Airlines".....

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the early-mid 80's the hubby was flying somewhere for work. There was one of those walk through metal detectors. He set it off and had to be wanded. The buzzer went off at his back pocket. It was his badge. He and security had a good laugh. Today they probably wouldn't let him take it on the plane. I know we had a kerfuffle here in Phoenix a few years ago. An elderly passenger had an item the initial security screeners didn't want to let him take. It was his Congressional Medal of Honor. Higher up security was called and common sense prevailed.

MM

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Memory is a funny thing and we often forget things and substitute our own reality for what really happened. It's possible that I'm doing that here but, truly, there was essentially no security. Anyone could get in and walk right up to the gate to meet people or hug them goodbye.

That's exactly what I remember all the way up until Sept. 11th.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I remember walking through metal detectors in Greensboro and Charlotte, probably Newark (??).

They did something to check the hand luggage, but I can't remember whether it was X-rayed or what. I feel like it was. It could have been randomly hand-checked. Or both. That's hard to recall, but you didn't take it through the metal detector.

Anyway, definitely some metal detectors. It was all very fast.

There wasn't this huge divide of whether you were through security or not. Nowadays, you can only have drinks in your bag, etc on the side after security that you've bought after security. Same for big shampoo bottles -- all that stuff that you are only allowed a teeny quantity that you pack yourself.

I remember going through security before and walking back out to find someone, disregarding security on my way back through. No biggie. They noticed you, but they remembered you'd been checked. Nowadays, they have to recheck you if you've been in contact with non-secure folks/items.

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
I remember going through security before and walking back out to find someone, disregarding security on my way back through. No biggie. They noticed you, but they remembered you'd been checked. Nowadays, they have to recheck you if you've been in contact with non-secure folks/items.

Yes. Exactly.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I remember in the early nineties the news did a story on a bunch of restaurants inside major airports. They were places like steakhouses with large knives left on the tables, unattended as part of the place settings, and they were past the metal detectors.

So yeah, security wasn't quite so secure.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My first venture to the US was in October 1989 (when I had several internal flights also). Despite the Lockerbie bombing the previous year, I was amazed at the lax security (I don't mean LAX!). So much so, that I even discussed the differences between Europe and the US with one of the security men. Things were a lot more geared up in Europe, presumably because of the real threat of terrorism. In the US, security seemed to be focused more on hijacking than on bombing. There were metal arch screens, but I think these were there to detect guns rather than bombs (likewise the wand detectors which would be used if you set off the alarm). My last visit over there was in 1997 and I don't remember security being tightened up very much in the interim period. I think the use of mobile staircases is more to do with where you are rather than becoming obsolete with time. Some planes are in fact too small to use them.

Another thing that struck me was how much cheaper flight travel was in the US than in Europe (prices have tumbled in Europe since). The food was poor on my flights and the aircraft tended to be quite old (and empty for the internal flights). I don't ever remember flight attendants (anywhere) being especially polite. Also, I don't remember any airports that did not have conveyor belts, but I imagine that some of the small ones might not have had them.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I flew a fair bit during the 80s.
I remember:

1. Taking domestic flights in the US was like catching a bus.
2. Friends/family would be waiting at the arrival gate to meet passengers.
3. Flights would take off when bad weather was expected, but, after the Kansas City crash when a plane was brought down by a down-draft, that changed.
4. Yup, definitely a lot of empty seats.

The only time I remember a stringent security check was when flying to Jordan from the UK on Royal Jordanian back in the early 90s. El Al staff did the pre-check-in security check and they were very thorough.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I used to fly pretty often in the 1980s and I recall absolutely no screening of passengers or bags. It's entirely possible that I've forgotten walking through one of those old-fashioned metal detectors (that look just like a doorway) but there was nothing at all with wands or anything like that. Nothing like there is today. There was absolutely no real security, no matter what Google is turning up.

I agree. There may have been something very broad--I do remember, there was a point where you couldn't leave once you entered, but there certainly wasn't the messy stuff we have to go through today. It might have depended on the airport. Then, of course, I always left my bag with baggage check and didn't carry anything on. There's nothing worse than having to hurry through three terminals lugging a bag that gets heavier by the minute!

I do know from reading the TSA blog that there's a lot of inconsistency today with how the security is done. One person might sail all the way through with bottles of baby milk without any problem and then hits a screener who throws it away. I wouldn't be at all surprised if screening procedures then were very inconsistently enforced.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
It should be kept in mind, of course, that even in the 80s people were complaining about the declining standards of service in airlines. Yes, you got food but it was a TV dinner at best. You usually had to pay for headphones to hear the movie, since this was before everyone carried headphones. The seats have always been uncomfortable.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh for the days before paranoia. Make me king and life will be that free and easy again.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score

They restricted the gate area to ticketed passengers after 9/11, but everyone had to go through the metal detectors.

At some point, two Middle Eastern men booked flights for their girlfriends and gave them locked suitcases with bombs to take with them. They were stopped at security. But for years afterward, it became standard practice to ask all passengers if they packed their bags themselves or if anything was given to them by another person to take on the flight.

They still have public address announcements saying to keep track of your bags and no to accept anything from unknown persons to carry on the plane. But as far as I know this has never resulted in another stopped attempt, and the technique never resulted in a successful attempt, so they don't ask everyone anymore.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
There were metal detectors and carryon X-ray devices back in the 1980s, both for domestic and international flights in the US.

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds a little dorky, but the movie Airplane! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/) came out in 1980. It's real campy, and jokey, but it is also a lot of social commentary about airplane travel and what it was like back around that time.

FWIW I remember people selling plane tickets in the newspaper because the name on the ticket didn't matter. Also, I remember people bitching because nobody dressed in their church clothes to travel anymore.

Qbynewbie

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds a little dorky, but the movie Airplane! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/) came out in 1980. It's real campy, and jokey, but it is also a lot of social commentary about airplane travel and what it was like back around that time.

FWIW I remember people selling plane tickets in the newspaper because the name on the ticket didn't matter. Also, I remember people bitching because nobody dressed in their church clothes to travel anymore.

When I knew that I wanted to send someone to visit a client and the trip required a flight, we'd book a flight in the name of the person most likely to go. But we might change our mind at the last minute and just give the ticket to the next person. It was helpful if the name that Tom carried didn't have the name "Susan" on it but other than that it really didn't matter. The loss of this flexibility was one of the changes after 9/11 that annoyed me the most.