PDA

View Full Version : Pirating anti-piracy lawyers

Maxinquaye
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm all for clamping down on piracy, but the ones at the forefront of the antipiracy fight are not exactly the most squeaky-clean, or even ethical, persons.

I think we could all agree that organisations like RIAA and MPAA could learn a thing or two about public relations. Here's another example from the frontlines, lawfirms pirating standard correspondence from each other.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/09/antipiracy-lawyers-pirate-from-other-antipiracy-lawyers.ars

Sure, going after file-swappers has the potential to be hugely lucrative, but there are problems. Problem number one: someone needs to write all of the warning letters and response letter templates and all sorts of other legal miscellania. Sound simple? It's not, and even anti-piracy lawyers aren't above (allegedly) nicking the letters drawn up by other antipiracy lawyers.

Nivarion
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Honestly, while I don't condone piracy, I think that they should just stop trying.

The "Best" antipiracy measures end up being nothing but a minor inconvenience for pirates. To top it off, they're also major pains in the butt to the legitimate consumers.

Ubisoft came out with some brain child that requires you to be online the whole time you're playing Assassins Creed 2 on PC. If your connection flips for even half a second it closes the game and you loose everything since your last save. Wonderful eh?

This brain child of their's took the piracy groups less than a month to defeat. And I'd bet money that legitimate consumers have got the pirate edition so that they can play the freaking game.

And then there have been wonderful (sarcasm) things that the wise and intelligent copyright holders in these corporations (sarcasm) who respect everyone's copyrights (SARCASM!) have done. Such as pirate open source codes to make their DRM.

Its nothing new to hear that these thugs step all over others copyright.

Margarita Skies
10-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I think that if a publisher stops one wannabe author, just one, in a day, or in a year, by canceling their contract or whatever it is they do to them when they catch them in the act, we've accomplished something. I mean we can't possibly eradicate all piracy. That's like trying to eradicate any kind of crime. Impossible.