PDA

View Full Version : Hindu-dominated Alt History

RainyDayNinja
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a short story that takes place in a Hindu-dominated version of the modern world, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it work. I suppose I don't know enough about the history of India and the Hindu world to know what events I could change to bring it about. Any ideas for a point of divergence?

Thanks!

stephenf
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Not exactly sure what you are looking for.India is a Hindu dominated part of the modern world. It also is a complex web of inconsistency and contradictions.You can almost take your pick of divergence .What is you desired outcome?

PeterL
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
The Indo-Aryan branch of the Indo-European separated from the others between 2500 and 3500 BCE; there is uncertainty as to exactly when, because no one recorded the event. They migrated from Central Asia through what is not Iran and Afghanistan. Then the Hindus crossed the Kyber Pass into India (I am using that in the general ter, rather than as the name of the country). The Iranians (Persian) remained in Iran, and various small groups stayed all along the way. While they were on the plains of central Asia and east of the Black Sea, they would have been associated with the Slavs and Proto-Germans, because they all spoke 'satem' languages, as opposed to 'centum' languages. I think that you should concentrate on the period before they started migrating to the south, or you could have a different group make that migration. If you want to have the Hindus move out from the subcontinent, then you would have more work, because they became tied to the area apparently within a few hundred years.

whacko
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
India's a fairly modern concept, strange as it may seem, only becoming a state in 1948.

The Brits ruled it a for a few hundred years. Prior to that it was a land made up of different kingdoms, often at war with each other.

So one point of divergence could be a Rani, or male equivalent can't remember the title, unifying the country, fighting off us wicked Brits... and then invading Britain. So instead of the British Raj, India took over the Empire.

Incidentally, quite a few common words come from the Raj. Pyjamas, bungalow, juggernaut, to name but three.

And I'd double check my history lesson.

Regards

RainyDayNinja
09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I thought about having the divergence being military victory and backlash against British imperialism, but I want the society to be Hindu rather than just Indian, and world conquest seems a bit out of character. Plus I think I'd rather have it go farther back, such that Western powers never really grew to significant levels.

stephenf
09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
The British created the county we now call India.The British were the last part, of a very long history of outside dominance over that bit of the world.Despite its great natural wealth,the main attraction to foreign powers, the indigenous population were never able to defend its self .This is possibly a weakness or strength? of the Hindu religion. India now has a nuclear bomb,how different history would of been if Britten did not colonise that part of the world .The whole of the twentieth century would be different, Germany or France be far more dominate on the world scene .

PeterL
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought about having the divergence being military victory and backlash against British imperialism, but I want the society to be Hindu rather than just Indian, and world conquest seems a bit out of character. Plus I think I'd rather have it go farther back, such that Western powers never really grew to significant levels.

While we may think of Hindus as peaceful, the culture has had wars as far back as history goes; the Rig Veda is mostly about wars. The caste system put wrriors in the next highest caste, because they were very important in the earliest times.

Your idea of a military backlash against an invasion might be good, but I think that an earlier invsion woul be bette, perhaps the invasion that led to the Mughal Empire. Which began in1526 and was ended by the British invasion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire

Polenth
09-30-2010, 11:15 PM
You could start early. Have the Roman emperors take up Hindu beliefs (which wouldn't be called that at the time, and would have differences... but that's researchable) and spread them through the Roman Empire. There were some notable emperor's who converted to Christianity and spread it, so you could set them up to become Hindu.

Then as things progress to modern Hinduism, it'd happen all over Europe as well as Asia. This would set it up as the dominant religion in Europe, which means the rest of that part of history doesn't need too much tweaking.

That still leaves Islam. Having India and nearby countries resist invasion would reduce the number of Muslims in those areas, but you also need to think about Africa. Stopping the Arab invasion of Egypt would probably slow things down enough. Perhaps send a Hindu group to African earlier, so Hinduism gets a foothold there.

This is more complicated than the other suggestions so far, as it's several little things rather than one big thing (and you'd probably want to add more little things than I've suggested). But it's also more realistic. No major world religion got there because one thing happened.

RainyDayNinja
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Hmm... I think I like the idea of Roman emperors converting, because that would still allow for significant Western influences through them. Thanks!

Keyan
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Did you mean the Western powers not becoming significant in India? Or anywhere in the world, with a Hindu dominated world instead of a Greco-Roman civilization in the West?

Hinduism (and later Buddhism) spread into Asia from India fairly bloodlessly; you could have it percolate in the other direction as well.