PDA

View Full Version : Snooki's writing a novel

Miss Plum
09-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Posting just because:

“Jersey Shore” star Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, despite admitting that she’s only only read two books (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/fashion/25Snooki.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1) (that’d be “Dear John” and “Twilight”), has just signed a book deal. Publisher’s Weekly reports that (http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/PWxyz/?p=2570) Polizzi’s novel — currently titled “A Shore Thing” (of course) — will be published in January 2011 with Simon & Schuster’s Gallery Press imprint. According to a press release, the book will revolve around “a girl looking for love on the boardwalk (one full of big hair, dark tans, and fights galore).

Maybe Snooki will surprise the world and emerge as the next Lauren Conrad, who two novels — written post-her reality star fame — reached the New York Times Best-Sellers list (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/2010/02/12/2010-02-12_lauren_conrads_new_novel_sweet_little_lies_is_b estseller.html). Then again, maybe not.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/09/29/snooki-signs-book-deal-to-write-novel-a-shore-thing/?mod=rss_WSJBlog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

You'd think it would be a guide to life, or an autobiography, or a manifesto of some sort. That's the only thing that surprises me.

leahzero
09-30-2010, 07:01 AM
What's good for the book industry is good for me.

*deep breath*

Ah, there we go. Now I believe it!

leahzero
09-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Also, this is great:

An open letter to Snooki (http://edittorrent.blogspot.com/2010/09/open-letter-to-snooki.html)

kuwisdelu
09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 07:44 AM
unfuckingbelievable

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Weer awl jelose loosers.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 08:12 AM
One question: Is she supposed to be attractive, in some way?

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 08:19 AM
She looks like Al Jolson with OCD

HelloKiddo
09-30-2010, 09:01 AM
despite admitting that she’s only only read two books (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/fashion/25Snooki.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1)

:eek:

How is that possible? Didn't she read in school? Yikes!

MissMacchiato
09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
lol! Okay, seriously. Shouldn't this give us hope that if that....

creature

can get published, the rest of us are a shoe-in?

That's the way it works, right? That HAS to be the way it works. http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/images/smilies4/eusa_pray.gif

Izz
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Should be entertaining.

KTC
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM

don't kid yourself. there is injustice on all planets. then again, maybe the snooki on a different planet wouldn't be so ugly.

JimmyB27
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
What's a snooki?

KTC
09-30-2010, 02:39 PM
What's a snooki?

don't google-image the word...unless you have a cast iron stomach. she causes the gag reflex to go into overdrive.

her face could stop a Mack truck!

regdog
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Does anyone really believe that she will have anything to do with actually writing the book? She might give a couple of names and places or an idea of how the couple will meet at best, and some poor staff ghostwriter will write the book.

Snooki will get her name on the cover and photo on the backflap and go on the promo tour. And all the while she and the publisher will laugh their way to the bank.

KTC
09-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Does anyone really believe that she will have anything to do with actually writing the book? She might give a couple of names and places or an idea of how the couple will meet at best, and some poor staff ghostwriter will write the book.

Snooki will get her name on the cover and photo on the backflap and go on the promo tour. And all the while she and the publisher will laugh their way to the bank.

of course. ghostwriting is becoming an even more lucrative thing now that illiterate people are getting their 16 minutes of fame.

yes...it was upgraded to 16 minutes. reality tv is to blame for this.

gothicangel
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Who?

And does this mean I need to get my head out of books and take notice of the real world for a change? :D

regdog
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
16 minutes. Well,gee that's just how long it will take for me to feed the cats and clean their boxes. I guess I'll have to miss her fame

JimmyB27
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Does anyone really believe that she will have anything to do with actually writing the book?
Having read some of the links in the OP and learnt a little about this delightful example of humanity (first link has a wonderful description: "FLAKE, cow, loser, slut, idiot, airhead, trash, penguin, creep, moron, midget, freak, Oompa-Loompa, nobody."), I'll be surprised if she even reads it.

KTC
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Having read some of the links in the OP and learnt a little about this delightful example of humanity (first link has a wonderful description: "FLAKE, cow, loser, slut, idiot, airhead, trash, penguin, creep, moron, midget, freak, Oompa-Loompa, nobody."), I'll be surprised if she even reads it.

That is a PERFECT description for her. Though I'm a little sad for Roald Dahl.

wrtaway
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Perhaps instead of focusing on silly things like grammar, plot, and other such nonsense, this forum should be dedicated to tips on how to be such a drunken, public buffoon that you garner enough attention to land yourself a book deal.

Aaaaargh!

Jersey Chick
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
The apocalypse is upon us.

It really is the End of days, isn't it? **sigh**

What's next? "The Situation" is awarded an honorary doctorate from Princeton?

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I really shouldn't post what I really think about this. I came too close recently to being banninated and I'd like to stay unbanninated.

Toothpaste
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Honestly guys, it really doesn't matter. Celebrity books don't take shelf space away from "real" books. They aren't in the same category. What celebrity books are is the closest thing a publisher has to a guaranteed bestseller (though not always). This means that the publisher will make tons of money off of something that doesn't take much effort and hopefully with the earned cash this will give publishers a chance to take risks on books that might be a trickier sell. Think of these books as a part time job, making money for publishers and allowing them to do what they really want to, and that's publish "real" books.

And, yes, it's kind of funny that she doesn't read, and she clearly won't be writing the thing. And it does annoy me that worthless people get to make so much money and people like teachers, social workers, nurses, etc don't. But still. Don't worry about the actual publication. It doesn't affect our work.

Our souls maybe, but not our work. :)

Shadow_Ferret
09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
What's a snooki?

This2.

CheyElizabeth
09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
This doesn't bother me. I've never seen whatever show she's on, but I know who she is from commercials and stuff..

When popular idiots write books, people (mostly teens, I'd assume) who don't read, will read it. And then maybe they will enjoy it and look for another book to read. And that next book could be one of ours.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 05:39 PM
And a moron shall lead them

brainstorm77
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
She's a celeb? I have to confess, I've never heard of her until this thread.

stormie
09-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, if Snooki's writing it, and not a ghostwriter, it'll be a picture book.

As for her proclaiming she only read two books in her life--what does that tell others. Go ahead and write a book. No need to know how to read or write. No need for education. Just become a Snooki!

Ken
09-30-2010, 05:50 PM
... have never watched the show, and yet I know who she is from the news. She's made quite a name for herself. So not surprising she has a book in the works. I think she is setting a horrible example for youths so I'm not entirely pleased. Even so her quick rise to fame and fortune is impressive. (She'll be getting a big advance to be sure.)

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't have been surprised by a memoir. "The Va Jay jay Monologues" or something like that, but a novel?

Toothpaste
09-30-2010, 06:02 PM
For those of you who know who she and the Jersey Shore are (and even for those of you don't) my friend Ceciley and her gang in LA do these fantastic parodies of the show as if they were period pieces. It's called "Mashterpiece Theater Presents the Jersey Shore".

Basically they take the actual words those fools speak and perform them as if it was classic literature. Here's the first one.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibkQcK6M-_c

stormie
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Sure, Wayne. A picture on every page and a few words. "Look. Look, look."

Eddyz Aquila
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I think the smack in the face will come again, this time from writers not the guy in the bar.

Phaeal
09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I think the State of New Jersey should sue Snooki and Co. (and Jerseylicious, while they're at it) for defamation of character. Bruce, Bruce, you saw the same things, and you made them art. Maybe you could ghost-write the Snookster's book?

Jersey Chick
09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Just for the record, she isn't even from Jersey and the entire show makes me grit my teeth - I saw half of one episode about a week ago and I swear my IQ dropped by 10 points.

These clowns don't represent my state and frankly, if I could punch Snooki, I probably would. These jackasses make my state look worse than it already does (and that's saying something) and I really wish they'd go. away.

What irks me is that those of us who don't take pride in being morons, have really worked to get published (or are still working toward it.) What did she do? Get drunk and get into a fight and BAM, S&S offers her a book deal. There are people on this board, who are taking the time to actually learn, who may NEVER land a book deal - no matter how hard they work.

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
At the release party for her new book, Snooki is quoted as saying, "I can't wait to read it! I heard it's really good!"

The Lonely One
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
This doesn't bother me. I've never seen whatever show she's on, but I know who she is from commercials and stuff..

When popular idiots write books, people (mostly teens, I'd assume) who don't read, will read it. And then maybe they will enjoy it and look for another book to read. And that next book could be one of ours.

SUre they'll keep reading...if Snooki and the other Jersey Shore oompa loompas keep writing.

But I guess I'm less optimistic about our drooling MTV youth (much much more drooling than the older MTV youth, I say!).

I dunno. I think Kanye West should write a book of Kanyeisms about this situation. The nation needs his brilliance in this time of struggle.

Fucking Douches.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think that even fans of Snook's will buy this book.

How many trips to the tanning salon is it going to cost? That's the real question

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
S&S is doing what every big business does; cash in on a potential cash cow. They've probably already got a ghost writer all lined up who can pound out a ms in a short time. I blame society. We're far too obsessed with celebrity.

There may be a theory to what Chey said. My mom wasn't a reader before, then she read the Twilight series (*shudder*). Now she's borrowing Sherrilyn Kenyon and Sarah Marie Moning from a friend at work and raiding my bookshelf. She reads all the time, and could probably spend as much time perusing a bookstore as I could.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
They'd make more money milking this cow

stormie
09-30-2010, 07:32 PM
At the release party for her new book, Snooki is quoted as saying, "I can't wait to read it! I heard it's really good!"
:ROFL:

Bs_08
09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
puh-leeeze! she's not writing anything. the same ghostwriter who helped write lauren conrad's book will PROBABLY be writing this one. her name is Nancy Ohlins. (i got this info from the internet so i can't be sure.)

scarletpeaches
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
If anyone thinks the type to read "Snooki's book" would move on to other material, they're living in cloud cuckoo land.

stormie
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
puh-leeeze! she's not writing anything. the same ghostwriter who helped write lauren conrad's book will PROBABLY be writing this one. her name is Nancy Ohlins. (i got this info from the internet so i can't be sure.)
We as writers know that. Others don't. (Like my neighbor, Mr.Manly-Man.)

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe you could help her with the really big words, SP, like "Snooki".

JimmyB27
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
These clowns don't represent my state and frankly, if I could punch Snooki, I probably would. These jackasses make my state look worse than it already does (and that's saying something) and I really wish they'd go. away.
The only thing I know about New Jersey is Bruce Springsteen, so it looks pretty damn good from here. :D

Stew21
09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
She looks like Al Jolson with OCD

:roll:

gawd I love you.

Ken
09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
... perhaps I am wrong about this, particularly as I am in the minority, but to me it seems that insulting a person about their looks is not cool, even if they are a celebrity. And bear this in mind too. There are plenty of women who look similar to this celebrity in general overall appearance. So to come out and say she looks like this or that is to say all women who look similarly do. And surely that is not cool. Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it.

Miss Plum
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Don't worry about the actual publication. It doesn't affect our work.

Our souls maybe, but not our work. :)

:):)

For those of you who know who she and the Jersey Shore are (and even for those of you don't) my friend Ceciley and her gang in LA do these fantastic parodies of the show as if they were period pieces. It's called "Mashterpiece Theater Presents the Jersey Shore".

Basically they take the actual words those fools speak and perform them as if it was classic literature. Here's the first one.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibkQcK6M-_c

omg, keep 'em coming! Ceciley's brilliant!

scarletpeaches
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
No one looks like Snooki naturally. She did that to herself.

Miss Plum
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
... perhaps I am wrong about this, particularly as I am in the minority, but to me it seems that insulting a person about their looks is not cool, even if they are a celebrity. And bear this in mind too. There are plenty of women who look similar to this celebrity in general overall appearance. So to come out and say she looks like this or that is to say all women who look similarly do. And surely that is not cool. Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it.

ken, it seems to me the comments are on her look, not her looks. There's a difference.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM

I feel the same way except when the person does it purposly.If this was the desired look, the world is in trouble

The Lonely One
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
a more direct approach (trying not to bash this time around):

Doesn't it also hurt the industry's image to represent someone who's morally reprehensible and more or less illiterate as an author? Aren't they selling their soul to fans of these shows at the cost of readers of good literature?

How many times have you heard someone throw out that dreaded phrase, "I guess anyone can write a book"? Because I've heard it more and more often these days.

And I'm beginning to believe it myself.

Sure, it helps the publishing industries stay afloat. But is it really okay to sell our morals? If it were my publishing company, I'd rather fail selling real books than succeed in the tabloid world.

And I would fully expect, actually having self-awareness and a few brain cells (one or two left up there), that in her position I would be mocked and belittled entering into a world I have no claim to.

I guess I just don't walk into a room expecting something without working for it.

Phaeal
09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I feel the same way except when the person does it purposly.If this was the desired look, the world is in trouble

Definitely, because all the cantalopes would be grabbed up for implantation into female mammaries, and I wouldn't have anything to eat for breakfast.

In fact, my lunchtime watermelons might become hard to find, too.

seun
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Who the fuck is Snooki?

Actually, don't answer that. I don't care.

aadams73
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Wow. This whole thread has me shaking my head.

Yeah, she and her Jersey Shore cohorts are pretty much a waste of airtime, but her "writing" a book doesn't take a single thing away from any of us. If anything, it might afford some of us opportunities that didn't exist before. Publishing is a business, and someone out there knows that Snooki will make them money. Really, that's why any of us wind up published: because someone believes we'll be moneymakers.

She's a twenty-two-year-old kid. I have to wonder how many of us had it all together at her age? I sure didn't. As for her look/looks, step right on up if you've never rocked some outfit that didn't (in hindsight) reek. And I can't fault her for seizing opportunities, even if they seem bizarre to the rest of us.

I don't care about her one way or another, so I show my disapproval by not watching that show. And I'll continue that same trend when I don't buy her book. Ripping into some dumb kid on a public forum is just petty. Plus, bad karma, you know?

Phaeal
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Oooh, oooh, you called her "dumb!" Two karma points from you!

;)

aadams73
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Oooh, oooh, you called her "dumb!" Two karma points from you!

;)

I call most kids "dumb kids" because they usually are. I'll take the karma hit on that one. ;)

(And yeah, I was one once, too.)

Ken
09-30-2010, 10:31 PM
(And yeah, I was one once, too.)

... that's hard to believe seeing as how you're such a smarty now ;-)

blacbird
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
lol! Okay, seriously. Shouldn't this give us hope that if that....

creature

can get published, the rest of us are a shoe-in?

That's the way it works, right?

No. If she can get a novel published, and I can't, that says more about my novel than it does about hers.

seun
09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
No. If she can get a novel published, and I can't, that says more about my novel than it does about hers.

I prefer to think it says more about the taste of the people who know (and give a shit) who she is.

brainstorm77
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
At first I thought the thread was about Sookie Stackhouse. But then, she is a fictional character sooo... Shows how behind the times I am.

HelloKiddo
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM

No it doesn't. It says nothing about your novel.

CheyElizabeth
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
There may be a theory to what Chey said. My mom wasn't a reader before, then she read the Twilight series (*shudder*). Now she's borrowing Sherrilyn Kenyon and Sarah Marie Moning from a friend at work and raiding my bookshelf. She reads all the time, and could probably spend as much time perusing a bookstore as I could.

I know about 10 people who read twilight after a lifetime of not reading, and now they love reading. Sometimes a trendy book can open the door to making readers out of non readers.

HelloKiddo
09-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I know about 10 people who read twilight after a lifetime of not reading, and now they love reading. Sometimes a trendy book can open the door to making readers out of non readers.

I really need to go back and reread Twilight. I must have missed something when I read it. I must have. How is it possible that book is so popular?

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I started the thing about her looks because, usually, our brainless moron celebrities are at least good looking. I don't get it is all. What's the attraction to a woman with no brains or morals, that turns herself into a sideshow clown? She looks ridiculous

I would comment on her writing, but there won't be any. I'll save judgement of her ghostwriter for when hell freezes over, which is when I'll read her book

Toothpaste
09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
a woman with no brains or morals, that turns herself into a sideshow clown? She looks ridiculous

I think you answered your own question. Sideshow clowns are very popular. The ridiculous is revered.

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
:popcorn:

whacko
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Why the fuss? Publishers are in business, I hate to say, to make money. So they'll sign up anybody that they think will help the bottom line. And it's always been the case.

David Blunkett, a British policitician, got paid about £300,000 for a memoir that sold about 300 copies.

Gordon Brown, ex PM, sold 32 copies of his last book.

Why did they get signed up? Because the publisher thought there was a market.

Good luck to the girl is what I say.

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 11:18 PM
I think Snooki will pass Gordon Brown in just a few months

Wayne K
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Don't hold me to that though

NeuroFizz
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Frankly, I'm more worried she'll reproduce some day, likely have a gag-gle of snookettes.

BenPanced
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Frankly, I'm more worried she'll reproduce some day, likely have a gag-gle of snookettes.
And a whole new roster of programming on MTV!

Snooki's Getting Engaged!
Snooki's Getting Married!
Wait. No, She Isn't!
Snooki's Wedding's Back On!
Snooki's Morning Sickness!
Snooki's Bachelorette Party!
Snooki Signs A Pre-Nup!
Snooki's Morning Sickness II!
Snooki Sez Yes 2 Da Dress!
Snooki's Morning Sickness III!
Wait. No, She Isn't II!
Snooki's Wedding's Back On II!
Snooki's Moring Sickness IV - VI!
etc.!

Repeat until dead.

Ken
09-30-2010, 11:59 PM
... "judge not lest thee be judged yourself." And some here well may, seeing as how we are set on being novelists with ambitions of writing bestsellers in some cases.

That'd be a sheer miracle in my own case, seeing as how I don't have an ounce of talent and ain't too swift in the IQ department either. With many others here, though, it's more than possible that you may achieve celebrity status in your own right by writing novels. You're intelligent as witnessed by your posts and achievements in the Goals & Accomplishment forum. And you certainly all have lively enough personalities.

So for the life of me help me to understand how a group of people who are so gifted and bright can possibly belittle those who are less fortunate in your opinion. If I were in your shoes I'd be so glad to have been given so much in terms of ability that I'd be quick to compliment and slow to criticize even when deserved. And yet the opposite seems so at times.

How is that possible? I really am mystified.

HelloKiddo
10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
for the life of me help me to understand how a group of people who are so gifted and bright can possibly belittle those who are less fortunate in your opinion.

What? She isn't less fortunate. As far as I can see she's done nothing to deserve success in the literary community and received what people who worked their butts off for for years can't get.

She may be "less fortunate" in the brains/talent department--I don't know, I know nothing about her--but that's not what this thread is about. It's about her book deal. :Huh:

BenPanced
10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Hmmm...nope. Ain't gonna feel bad.

*off to throw rocks at the glass houses*

Christine N.
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
This is ridiculous and an insult to every one who actually works HARD at writing. A slap in the face to anyone who has really and truly tried to put words to paper, even if they didn't succeed. ESPECIALLY if they didn't succeed. Just be a celebrity and you can skip all the WORK that goes into writing and selling a book. It's taken me almost a decade to get an agent and editor at a big house to even LOOK at a full manuscript. They might still reject it, and I'm back to square one. This bimbo just rolls on in and BAM!

Every time it happens, I die a little inside. Though some celebrity children's books are actually pretty good, so I judge on a case-by-case basis.

I know the publisher thinks it'll make money. Big freaking whoop. I know she probably won't write it herself. Don't care. It's more of the dumbing down of America (or the world, for that matter). They're so busy worrying about this crap they don't pay attention to anything that really is important.

(okay, I'm okay, I just had to let it out. Deep breath.)

scarletpeaches
10-01-2010, 12:35 AM
So - she's like the U.S. version of Jordan, with extra orange?

Here's my gripe. She gets the credit and the money for writing a book which she isn't even gonna write. She'll put her name to something and make a liar of herself.

So yes, I object to it. If that makes me a hater, fine, I'm a hater. I just don't like the whole concept of ghost writers, especially when it comes to celebs.

And yep - I probably own books that weren't written by the person whose name is on the cover. If/when I discover that, it makes me feel sad.

For the record, I was a complete basket case at the age of twenty-two. I wrote utter crap.

But it was my crap.

KTC
10-01-2010, 12:56 AM
This is ridiculous and an insult to every one who actually works HARD at writing. A slap in the face to anyone who has really and truly tried to put words to paper, even if they didn't succeed. ESPECIALLY if they didn't succeed. Just be a celebrity and you can skip all the WORK that goes into writing and selling a book. It's taken me almost a decade to get an agent and editor at a big house to even LOOK at a full manuscript.

I think it's ridiculous that this shit sells. And that they slap a 'celebrity' name on a book and it sells. That's ridiculous.

BUT

It is not an insult to hard writers and it is not ridiculous that it happens. It's called free enterprise. As long as the market is there, they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. It's about making money. People, for some unknown reason, want to read something with this skank's name on it. So...they throw something together, get it out there and sell it. They take the money, honey. There is nothing ridiculous about collecting money from a fickle, tasteless, unintelligent consumer. Nothing at all. The only thing ridiculous is that people buy these books. It's the public's fault...not the Jersey trash chick's fault.

The publishing world SHOULD do this. They need the money, and people are stupid enough to give it to them for books like this.

scarletpeaches
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
True, KTC. It's sad but true.

One wonders if the publisher should take a moral stand against cobbled-together, ghosted shite, but...like you said, free enterprise.

If she's allowed to 'write' it, though, I'm allowed to judge her for it. or should I say, the folks who buy it.

KTC
10-01-2010, 01:05 AM
True, KTC. It's sad but true.

One wonders if the publisher should take a moral stand against cobbled-together, ghosted shite, but...like you said, free enterprise.

If she's allowed to 'write' it, though, I'm allowed to judge her for it. or should I say, the folks who buy it.

Definitely. I agree.

It's the media circus that creates this kind of enterprise. We can hate it...and hate the people who get these book deals. But they'd be crazy not to take them. What the publishing world wants on the shelf are books that sell. Yes...there are some wonderful amazing books out there on the shelves that are respectable and cause publisher pride, I'm sure. But yep...they shouldn't stop there. They should find the latest flash in the pan and rape as much money out of them as they can. That's what makes the world turn.

*I don't agree with this philosophy myself...it's just observation. I usually don't give a rat's ass about money, myself.

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I wanna be just like Snooki. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tights.

Polenth
10-01-2010, 01:19 AM
So - she's like the U.S. version of Jordan, with extra orange?

Other than a tendency for extreme fake tanning and hiring ghostwriters, I wouldn't say so. Their fame comes in different flavours.

People like Snooki because they can laugh at her. She's an easy target who doesn't realise she's a target. They'll buy her book because they want to see how bad it is and laugh.

Jordan may have a certain following among those who want to laugh at her, but it doesn't seem like the majority of her fans like her for that reason. They find her lifestyle glamorous and want to be part of it... which is reflected in the storylines of her books.

I don't especially like the celebrity ghostwriter trend, but this case concerns me because it's cruel. It's exploiting Snooki's low intelligence, because she isn't able to see she's been set up as a clown sideshow. Most celebrities with ghostwritten books understand what they're doing, but I'm not convinced that Snooki does.

KTC
10-01-2010, 01:25 AM
I wanna be just like Snooki. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tights.

You should be ripping a book apart while you're saying that. I think it would set the scene nicely.

Nya RAyne
10-01-2010, 01:40 AM
This is the perfect example of why really outstanding authors get overlooked. I wonder how much time it will take for the rest of the Jersey cast to start their own books?

scarletpeaches
10-01-2010, 01:44 AM
I've often said I don't think good books do get overlooked. I honestly believe that.

However.

I can well understand writers getting pissed at this sort of thing getting all the publicity. Snooki won't stop you getting a contract, but she might stop you getting column inches.

All I can do is write the best book I'm capable of. That's the simplest way to carry on.

But still - I wonder why books like this one, and those written by written on behalf of Katie Price sell at all. I can accept it, but I don't have to like it.

If I had my way everyone would be reading Ishiguro.

blacbird
10-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Snooki won't stop you getting a contract,

A decade-plus ago HarperCollins famously paid flamboyant O.J. Simpson defense attorney Johnny Cochrane a huge advance for a tell-all about the trial. It tanked badly in the marketplace, and HC cancelled something like 100 contracts for other authors, citing the fiscal loss incurred in the Cochrane fiasco as the reason.

Ken
10-01-2010, 01:52 AM
What? She isn't less fortunate. As far as I can see she's done nothing to deserve success in the literary community and received what people who worked their butts off for for years can't get.

She may be "less fortunate" in the brains/talent department--I don't know, I know nothing about her--but that's not what this thread is about. It's about her book deal. :Huh:

... showin' my lack of swiftness, right now. Not sure what you're saying here. My fault. To avoid any confusion about my use of "less fortunate" that is by no means my own view of her. She's fine.

Maybe she caught a lucky break. But hey, she had to audition for the part. And being on tv isn't easy either no matter what you're doing. If I tried myself I'd be so dull and boring I'd be asked to leave after one episode, though I can't speak for others here. As to her intelligence, I've never watched the show as I said. But even if I had you can't tell that from watching a tv show. Speak to her in person and I'm guaranteeing you'd get an entirely different outlook.

And for blessed sake, as has been pointed out, she's still just a kid. Let all of us think back to when we were that age. If there'd been cameras rolling at the time I was that age I probably wouldn't have been behaving any better. More likes, worse. Though that again is probably just me.

Last and least her looks. She's fine to me. No Marilyn Monroe, but how many are? And who cares anyway? And if she's doing something different with her "looks" power to her. Difference keeps things fresh. Shame more don't exercise the option.

scarletpeaches
10-01-2010, 01:55 AM
A decade-plus ago HarperCollins famously paid flamboyant O.J. Simpson defense attorney Johnny Cochrane a huge advance for a tell-all about the trial. It tanked badly in the marketplace, and HC cancelled something like 100 contracts for other authors, citing the fiscal loss incurred in the Cochrane fiasco as the reason.Yay! I have a reason to hate Snooki!

Margarita Skies
10-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Reading the title of this thread made me want to go to the bathroom.

KTC
10-01-2010, 01:56 AM
... showin' my lack of swiftness, right now. Not sure what you're saying here. My fault. To avoid any confusion about my use of "less fortunate" that is by no means my own view of her. She's fine.

Maybe she caught a lucky break. But hey, she had to audition for the part. And being on tv isn't easy either no matter what you're doing. If I tried myself I'd be so dull and boring I'd be asked to leave after one episode, though I can't speak for others here. As to her intelligence, I've never watched the show as I said. But even if I had you can't tell that from watching a tv show. Speak to her in person and I'm guaranteeing you'd get an entirely different outlook.

And for blessed sake, as has been pointed out, she's still just a kid. Let all of us think back to when we were that age. If there'd been cameras rolling at the time I was that age I probably wouldn't have been behaving any better. More likes, worse. Though that again is probably just me.

Last and least her looks. She's fine to me. No Marilyn Monroe, but how many are? And who cares anyway? And if she's doing something different with her "looks" power to her. Difference keeps things fresh. Shame more don't exercise the option.

okay, buddy. enough already. don't make me take out the whips. you're being FAR too reasonable!

jana13k
10-01-2010, 01:56 AM
I seriously doubt an editor has ever passed on a great book because a celebrity book was in the last slot. Not going to happen. If you write a great book, someone will buy it. My guess is celebrity books are outside of the realm of the usual number of slots and production of a publisher. So they make a lot of money and can keep the doors open. Maybe Dorchester should have done that and then maybe authors (like myself) would actually get paid.

As for the morality of it - corporations do not have morals. They have a bottom line.

I seriously doubt I will read her book (but I never say never) but I do watch the show and find it fascinating on a certain level. How can many of you claim to be writers but are not interested in the many facets of the human condition? Maybe it's because I write murder mysteries, but I find crazy or completely different from my own life very interesting. :)

Ken
10-01-2010, 01:59 AM
okay, buddy. enough already. don't make me take out the whips. you're being FAR too reasonable!

... will try to amend my ways ;-)

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:00 AM
I seriously doubt an editor has ever passed on a great book because a celebrity book was in the last slot. Not going to happen. If you write a great book, someone will buy it. My guess is celebrity books are outside of the realm of the usual number of slots and production of a publisher. So they make a lot of money and can keep the doors open. Maybe Dorchester should have done that and then maybe authors (like myself) would actually get paid.

As for the morality of it - corporations do not have morals. They have a bottom line.

I seriously doubt I will read her book (but I never say never) but I do watch the show and find it fascinating on a certain level. How can many of you claim to be writers but are not interested in the many facets of the human condition? Maybe it's because I write murder mysteries, but I find crazy or completely different from my own life very interesting. :)

If someone murders her, let me know.

That I would read

KTC
10-01-2010, 02:01 AM
... will try to amend my ways ;-)

the niceness is shocking me. makes me want to send snooki flowers or something.

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:02 AM
A funeral wreath?

Jersey Chick
10-01-2010, 02:03 AM
How can many of you claim to be writers but are not interested in the many facets of the human condition? Maybe it's because I write murder mysteries, but I find crazy or completely different from my own life very interesting. :)

So, I have to watch The Jersey Shore in order to be a writer? ;)

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:05 AM
If I want to research crazy, I'd get home for the holidays more

KTC
10-01-2010, 02:07 AM
A funeral wreath?

you'd even kill a party, wouldn't ya! Just to see it die.

HelloKiddo
10-01-2010, 02:09 AM

I wasn't sure what you were saying, TBH. My post was really more of a question, hence the :Huh: at the end. How do you figure she is "less fortunate" in the opinion of the writers here? Less fortunate in terms of intelligence/talent I supposed is what you were getting at, but is it really reasonable to view everybody whose behavior you dislike as "less fortunate" because they're not as bright and gifted as you? That does seem rather arrogant.

jana13k
10-01-2010, 02:11 AM
I guess I just figure that if what people do and why they do it doesn't fascinate you, then maybe your writing will reflect very one-dimensional or a very narrow grouping of characters. It takes all kinds.

I didn't say anyone had to watch the show. Last time I checked, this is a free country, which means that Snooki has just as much right to make money off a ghostwriter as James Patterson does. Shall we discuss the morality of HIS business decisions?

Izz
10-01-2010, 02:19 AM
which means that Snooki has just as much right to make money off a ghostwriter as James Patterson does. Shall we discuss the morality of HIS business decisions?That's been done already. I think there was a similar amount of outrage.

jana13k
10-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Well, at least she's not running around calling herself an author.

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:27 AM
I beg to differ. She'll be drunker than ol James, but she will

Jersey Chick
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
I see nothing fascinating about someone who gets crocked and knocked on her ass - I find her kind of pathetic and not really worth my time. If I want that, like Wayne, I just have to go to a family gathering. But I'm not suggesting anyone who doesn't watch it might have their writing suffer from it, either. To me, that show is pretty one-dimensional, since (from what I've seen) they do little more than perpetuate stereotypes.

jana13k
10-01-2010, 02:32 AM
I could go to a family gathering and see most anything myself - much better than a Jerry Springer episode, which IMHO shows no creativity whatsoever. :)

I guess I just don't understand spending the energy caring what other people think. There are plenty of people in this world paid tons of money to produce crap. Professional athletes get their salary whether they produce on the court/field/track/etc. Actors are paid whether or not the movie tanks. Hell, some bankers are paid HUGE bonuses for letting their banks fail and taxpayers footed the bill. If we really want to get angry over something, I'd say the last one I mentioned tops the list.

A fad that will be here for a couple of years then disappear is of no concern to me other than it's an interesting train wreck and I don't actually have to expose myself to my family in order to see it. In fact, in an odd bit of timing, my family's reunion is this weekend. I will NOT be attending. :)

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm just bored and Snooks got a publishing deal. She's a victim of circumstance

Izz
10-01-2010, 02:36 AM
I don't actually have to expose myself to my family in order to see it.That does sound like a strange kind of family reunion. I second your motion not to attend... ;)

jana13k
10-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Izz - "expose" is actually a very good word as I'm never quite sure what I could catch. LOL

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Can I go in your place?

Izz
10-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Now i've got this imagery stuck in my head of forty people wandering around a gazebo, clad in nothing but long brown overcoats that they rip open every so often in front of other similarly coated people. Grinning widely all the while, of course.

blacbird
10-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Well, at least she's not running around calling herself an author.

Yet.

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Now i've got this imagery stuck in my head of forty people wandering around a gazebo, clad in nothing but long brown overcoats that they rip open every so often in front of other similarly coated people. Grinning widely all the while, of course.

Now I'm definitly going

rhymegirl
10-01-2010, 03:25 AM

Me either. Let's take a rocket ship to Pluto.

blacbird
10-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Me either. Let's take a rocket ship to Pluto.

Pluto's not a planet.

rhymegirl
10-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Pluto's not a planet.

Well, then I guess I'm not going there.

My friend Kuwi and I will pick a different planet.

jana13k
10-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Not quite - think more along the camoflauge lines and hip waders and you'd be closer. And no gazebo - the last reunion was in the cemetery and no, I am not joking. I'm from southern Louisiana. I do have a cousin that specialized in mooning and streaking when he was in college. Since he easily weighs over 400 lbs, I'm sorta glad I was one of the last grandkids born. Not around to see that.

Paul
10-01-2010, 04:02 AM
Now if you'd a said Snoopy....

Wayne K
10-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Snoopy writes his own stuff

:snoopy:

Tallent
10-01-2010, 04:07 AM
OMFG! Yaall!

Ken
10-01-2010, 04:09 AM
I wasn't sure what you were saying, TBH. My post was really more of a question, hence the :Huh: at the end. How do you figure she is "less fortunate" in the opinion of the writers here? Less fortunate in terms of intelligence/talent I supposed is what you were getting at, but is it really reasonable to view everybody whose behavior you dislike as "less fortunate" because they're not as bright and gifted as you? That does seem rather arrogant.

... you have completely miscomprehended my last two posts. Seriously. I didn't say or suggest any such thing. I used the term "less fortunate" in referring to the attitude some here have expressed regarding her intelligence and appearance. That is certainly not my own attitude! Go back and read my posts again. And as to my laying any claim to being "bright and gifted" I almost have to laugh at that seeing as what I said in regards to myself:

I don't have an ounce of talent and ain't too swift in the IQ department either.

I said others here were "bright and gifted." In short, everything I attributed to others you took me as attributing to myself. Maybe the fault lies with me and my failure to express myself clearly enough? Will work on that if so.

Always available by PM, which would probably be a better route to take if any further discussion on the matter seems warranted.

Christine N.
10-01-2010, 04:28 AM
I think it's ridiculous that this shit sells. And that they slap a 'celebrity' name on a book and it sells. That's ridiculous.

BUT

It is not an insult to hard writers and it is not ridiculous that it happens. It's called free enterprise. As long as the market is there, they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. It's about making money. People, for some unknown reason, want to read something with this skank's name on it. So...they throw something together, get it out there and sell it. They take the money, honey. There is nothing ridiculous about collecting money from a fickle, tasteless, unintelligent consumer. Nothing at all. The only thing ridiculous is that people buy these books. It's the public's fault...not the Jersey trash chick's fault.

The publishing world SHOULD do this. They need the money, and people are stupid enough to give it to them for books like this.

Dude, I was just ranting. It's one of those things you just feel you HAVE to say to get it out. I understand all the other stuff behind it, but once in awhile you just gotta scream like a two year old to feel better.

So I did. (but I am insulted just a bit. It burns me to no end, but I can't blame the publisher. I blame the people who put the money out, which only perpetuates the cycle.)

Soccer Mom
10-01-2010, 04:28 AM
We've wandered far afield of writing. Say goodnight, Gracie.