Percy Jackson, Chaos Titan and Stephen Donaldson, Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bought a bevy of books yesterday. Got the first three Percy Jacksons ($19.99 boxed set at Borders), Kelly's "3 days to dead" and the first book of the newest Thomas Covenant trilogy.

It's YA Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and High Fantasy. Woooooooot!

Science Fiction seems to be lacking these days. So much emphasis on the science conforming to current knowledge of physics that imagining things beyond our horizons is just not done.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Kelly's book is amazing.

We LOVE Percy Jackson in our house, and I don't know anything about the Thomas Covenant trilogy.

:)

happy reading.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Science Fiction seems to be lacking these days. So much emphasis on the science conforming to current knowledge of physics that imagining things beyond our horizons is just not done.
Have you thought about going with some good old fashioned space adventure? Give Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" series a try. Start with Trading in Danger.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was not impressed by Thomas Covenant series.
Could never pin down why...

It's possible you don't like melodrama. The books are thick with it. Fortunately, I thrive on it. So freakin' good. And purple prose up the wahoo. The man is in love with his thesaurus, and so am I.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The Percy Jackson series was fun. Riordan's Tres Navarre detective series is pretty good, too.

MG/YA - Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series is a lot of fun as well.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible you don't like melodrama. The books are thick with it. Fortunately, I thrive on it. So freakin' good. And purple prose up the wahoo. The man is in love with his thesaurus, and so am I.

There's that.
But I remember also having a lot of trouble trying to figure out WTH was going on; I just had a constant sense of, "...What just happened?" as I read them.
I mean that in the "What just physically occurred here?" sense, I could not get a grasp on his descriptions.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
There's that.
But I remember also having a lot of trouble trying to figure out WTH was going on; I just had a constant sense of, "...What just happened?" as I read them.
I mean that in the "What just physically occurred here?" sense, I could not get a grasp on his descriptions.

I just didn't like Covenant as a character. But that's just me.

And so that this doesn't completely derail the thread, allow me to add that I have heard great things about the Percy Jackson books (though I have not read them myself)! Should be fun book times ahead.

mrockwell

Just another genre hack
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsheilarockwell.com

I read the First Chronicles back in junior high, and I kept a notebook full of all the words I had to look up. I actually met Stephen earlier this month at a local con we were both panelists at and I thanked him for his writing -- his thesaurus love was the main reason I aced the verbal portion of my SATs!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Have you thought about going with some good old fashioned space adventure? Give Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" series a try. Start with Trading in Danger.

I found a great series of military sci-fi titles that are very much a horatio hornblower in space... but I couldn't remember the titles of them when perusing... :( I'll have to print a list next time I go!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I just didn't like Covenant as a character. But that's just me.

And so that this doesn't completely derail the thread, allow me to add that I have heard great things about the Percy Jackson books (though I have not read them myself)! Should be fun book times ahead.

I'm halfway through the first. It's pretty good, but a little predictable in little ways... but that's possibly because it is aimed at kids, and I do know my greek mythology. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I have Percy Jackson from the library. I'm very disheartened. I had taken my adult UF and was transforming it into YA to see if that will get a nibble from the agent front, and I'm realizing that my adult fiction youthified is actually very close to Percy Jackson. :(
To me anything aimed at kids, but enjoyable as adults is YA. Narnia, Potter, Percy... YA.

So by that logic, if I enjoy Winnie the Pooh, Dr. Seuss, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, that makes them YA?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I had taken my adult UF and was transforming it into YA to see if that will get a nibble from the agent front, and I'm realizing that my adult fiction youthified is actually very close to Percy Jackson

Not to be TOO snarky, but that may well be a selling point.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
I found a great series of military sci-fi titles that are very much a horatio hornblower in space... but I couldn't remember the titles of them when perusing... :( I'll have to print a list next time I go!
Weber's Honor Harrington? Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series? R. M. Meluch's Merrimack books?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Weber's Honor Harrington? Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series? R. M. Meluch's Merrimack books?

Lost Fleet sounds right. About a guy who wakes up a 100 years later and finds out he's a war hero/legend?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I have Percy Jackson from the library. I'm very disheartened. I had taken my adult UF and was transforming it into YA to see if that will get a nibble from the agent front, and I'm realizing that my adult fiction youthified is actually very close to Percy Jackson. :(

So by that logic, if I enjoy Winnie the Pooh, Dr. Seuss, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, that makes them YA?

These are books you'd read of your own volition, and not to share with children?

Status
Not open for further replies.